Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Rex Hunt, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Rex Hunt

Rex Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi all, i came across Ubuntu live cd when trying to get into a hard drive and retrieve some photos from a currupt windows xp, it worked a treat:thumbsup:
    i was very impressed how simple it was to use.

Anyway the mother inlaw is after a pc for general sufing the web doing a bit of banking and paying in.

I have a old desktop pc AMD Athlon xp 2800+ 512 memory. No OS

I put Ubuntu using the live cd and it auto updated is there anything else i need to put on to make it sucure do i need a virus checker on it if so a link for a download would be good.

Is Ubuntu a good choice as i've noticed lots of versions and i'm totally lost.

Anything that could be usefull i could put on it?

Thanks for any help and advise:smashin:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    First off the good think about Linux is as a rule of thumb it doesn't need a Virus checker. There is the odd virus here and there but you can count them in your hand and I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Seconly what version of Ubuntu is it? The latest version Ubuntu 8.10 and it's very good. It includes OpenOffice (MS Office equivalent), Firefox 3 and more.

There are a million and 1 apps available for it, the world really is your oyster here!

Chris.

3. Rex Hunt

Rex Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Cool good to no that:thumbsup:

Don't no why i've never used this before been playing with it for a bit seems fine. Think its the latest version.

Cheers for that anyway back off to have a play around with it.

4. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,365
    I have been using Mint which is based on Ubuntu but has multimedia functions all built in. Installed it and had nothing to do in terms of codecs etc...
    Im a very happy user and only use Windows to play games on. You can get AV, I think it's clamAV? But this is purely to check any files that may go onto a windows machine. The whole Linux experience is far more secure than windows which can only be a good thing.

5. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,879
    Hi

I'm considering 'moving across' to Linux and at the moment favour Ubuntu.

At present using Windows XP SP3 and a heavy user of Microsoft Money. I have records going back to 1990.

Is there an equivelent Unix-based program of MS Money available?

Alan

6. Old_Biker_John

Old_Biker_John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Alan,

I have similar needs in moving to Linux.

So far GnuCash looks the most likely candidate. You can read about it on their website here.

The inital setting up of accounts seems a bit more complex, but you can import data from .qif files that 'Money' can export.

Am still deciding on my preferred flavour of Linux as well, so will be a while before I can be sure that GnuCash completely suits my needs.

Good luck with your migration.:)

John.

7. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,879
    Hi John

Thanks for that, I shall have a look at the website.

I tried Ubuntu on my PC and it installed OK but will not run, locks out within about 10 seconds. Further investigation is required!

Alan

8. Old_Biker_John

Old_Biker_John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Alan,:)

Did you manage to start Ubuntu? If not, tell us what your system hardware is and what you observed when trying to boot Ubuntu.

I have now tried GnuCash in Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 8.10 and am happy that it can comfortably handle my 'Money' accounts.

I easily exported the data from 'Money' in loose QIF format and it was correctly recognised by GnuCash when imported to that software. There were just two entries that it failed to resolve correctly. They were corrected manually by me and all the accounts are now accurately operated by both packages.:thumbsup:

If you want to discuss GnuCash separately from Ubuntu, start a new thread.

All the best,:)

John.