Ubuntu

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone use Ubuntu as their operating system?

Been using it for about a year or so now and find it great :)

There's not much I need to do in Windows so it wasn't a problem for me. Anything I do need to do in windows is done with an XP install in virtual box.

I used to have it dual-booting with Vista. It's a fantastic operating system, but if you don't want to partition to install it, you can do what I did and use Wubi :smashin:

I have it on my eepc 901. Love it great OS.

The only reason I do not have it on my desktop as I need to use itunes, until there is a stable way to run itunes in ubuntu I cant change.

I used to have it dual-booting with Vista. It's a fantastic operating system, but if you don't want to partition to install it, you can do what I did and use Wubi :smashin:

Just a warning, I have just tried wubuntu and during installation I had what looked like the matrix (green on black) then the system locked. When going into vista I started with blue screens, safe mode took me into vista so I tried a system restore, this has not prooved sucesfull.

Looks like a backup is necessary so please be warned.

Ubuntu is a great OS, and I would have it on mine if the installation didn't fall over for some reason on my latest hand built machine (Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0, 4Gb DDRII800 etc.). Others do this too, OPENSuse for example, particularly during the partitioning stage were both just hang.

I manage to get Fedora on it but I don't like it at all.

My previous Athlon 64 3000 based pc had no problems with any version of Linux, so I am at a loss as to why I have trouble.

Regardless, Linux is superb, and Ubuntu is great, providing you don't require Windows only apps. And if you do, you can always virtualise Windows, and someone else has pointed out.

Why, what are you thinking mate?

By the way, great to see you out and about Pants :smashin:

Regardless, Linux is superb, and Ubuntu is great, providing you don't require Windows only apps. And if you do, you can always virtualise Windows, and someone else has pointed out.

Why, what are you thinking mate?

By the way, great to see you out and about Pants :smashin:

I just wanted to know people's reaction to my question. All I read about Ubuntu is favourable, so I obtained a CD installation disk which avoids partitioning. I'll give it a go, take my time, and see what I can do with it. I am not a computer nerd so will be learning as I go.

Thanks for your comment about my being 'out and about', nice of you to remember. I'm okay, although feeling 'lost' and having to think for one does not come easy, and there is still a feeling of disbelief. Still, I have my life to live as best I can, so on I go!

Just started snowing here, so be prepared, it is heading your way later!

Dave

Don't forget you can run it as a Live CD. This means it will boot from the CD and you can use the OS in full. Once you're done, turn it off and you're back to normal. It's a great way to have a play without affecting your current system.

Don't forget you can run it as a Live CD. This means it will boot from the CD and you can use the OS in full. Once you're done, turn it off and you're back to normal. It's a great way to have a play without affecting your current system.

Ah! I hadn't realised, thanks for that.

Well let me share my Wubi experience :D

I installed after reading Sunnybacon's post. I done a little research and heard some good things. I also thought this would be easier as I did not want to go through all the partition stuff.

So I downloaded, ate my dinner last night, returned and installed. During the install (after the splash screen) everything went blank, I was then greeted with a Matrix style screen and then nothing, nada.

Rebooted and tried windows and was greeted by the blue screen :eek: followed by a memory error. Tried again got the same problem. System restored back to the day before and once again, memory error's plus BSOD.

Discovered it was my 2 8800 GT, the Wubi installation killed it:eek: I don't believe that was any coincidence, simply during the first setup, something related knocked it out.

Have now had to reinstall and revert to my graphics board AMD inbuilt card.... Anyone who has owned and setup an HTPC and got the codec's just right and all the associated settings will weep with me :D

It's all back now though, has anyone got any opinions on just what happened during Ubuntu setup?

I will never go near Linux again :D

There are 3 laptops in my house all on Ubuntu. Rock solid and safe and free!

It is so much easier to load it up and leave my family to it. Configured and running without me having to check Windows updates, virus/adaware etc updates, scheduled scans etc and so on.

It just works and I don't have to do anything other than find new, 'free' software for them to play with. :D

Im thinking about dabbling in this, are there any programmes for ubuntu that can convert avi to dvd and any burning software, img burn etc. Also whats it like at updating drivers, ie if i install it over my xp will it be able to find the drivers etc for my netbook.

Im thinking about dabbling in this, are there any programmes for ubuntu that can convert avi to dvd and any burning software, img burn etc. Also whats it like at updating drivers, ie if i install it over my xp will it be able to find the drivers etc for my netbook.

It is very good with drivers. When I installed it on my laptop, I didn't need to install any drivers. Everything was done for me :smashin:

I just tried installing it via the wubi way on the previous page, it installed but when i try to boot it it starts to load up, then the screen just goes black. Its as though the laptop has been turned off, even though its still running :confused: Anyone have any ideas.

I just tried installing it via the wubi way on the previous page, it installed but when i try to boot it it starts to load up, then the screen just goes black. Its as though the laptop has been turned off, even though its still running :confused: Anyone have any ideas.

Can you still see the mouse pointer?

I get the same problem when I booted it off the CD for a trial.
Try selecting 'safe graphics mode' - I think it is one of the F4 options on boot up.
The problem I have is to do with my graphics chipset (intel something or other). I think there is a permanent fix for it, but I have not delved deep enough to find it.

oO, read my post's on this matter, hope it works out better for you.

Sorted, i booted into vista and ran chkdsk, then shut down and reboted into ubuntu and it loaded fine. However the laptop i put it on has an ati graphics chip which is apparently unsupported in ubuntu, or something along those lines, when i try to install i get a restricted/prohibited driver. I cant see myself using this tbh, looks to basic for me, but then again i suppose being basic is the point ?

Sorted, i booted into vista and ran chkdsk, then shut down and reboted into ubuntu and it loaded fine. However the laptop i put it on has an ati graphics chip which is apparently unsupported in ubuntu, or something along those lines, when i try to install i get a restricted/prohibited driver. I cant see myself using this tbh, looks to basic for me, but then again i suppose being basic is the point ?

It looks basic because it's an entry level distro, it's aimed at people who are used to their simple windows design, if you want to get more advanced you look more at comand line and distros such as debian or gentoo.

The driver should be supported for your ATi card, i've never had a problem on any of my laptops, have you looked at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Ubuntu is far from basic. Yes, on the surface, they've tried to make it very Windows user friendly. This works to some extent but the problem it creates is that average users think everything WILL just work, and that's not always the case. If you dive in to the command line, Ubuntu is just as powerful as any other Linux distro out there really.

I use Ubuntu because I like to fiddle. I like to learn something new and I'm computer savvy. If I hit problems it's not the end of the world for me and I like the challenge of figuring out what's gone wrong and how to fix it. Not everydoby can do this or wants to do this.

My bottom line advice is....do your Linux research and see if it really is for you before you install it.

Ubuntu is far from basic. Yes, on the surface, they've tried to make it very Windows user friendly. This works to some extent but the problem it creates is that average users think everything WILL just work, and that's not always the case. If you dive in to the command line, Ubuntu is just as powerful as any other Linux distro out there really.

I use Ubuntu because I like to fiddle. I like to learn something new and I'm computer savvy. If I hit problems it's not the end of the world for me and I like the challenge of figuring out what's gone wrong and how to fix it. Not everydoby can do this or wants to do this.

My bottom line advice is....do your Linux research and see if it really is for you before you install it.

Yes and No really...

All the distros are different in their own ways, each has benefits for different purposes... Ubuntu is very heavily user orientated and is trying to be the bridge between Windows and Linux, by having lots of howto's and a friendly front end.

There are a lot of differences between distros.

Ubuntu is the perfect lazy distro. That's why it's so popular for it's ease of use.

If you want a more powerful and flexible distro you'll go for something like Gentoo, Slackware, Sabayon is also good.

It depends how deep you wish to dive.

For a bit of fun:
apt-get moo

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom