Ubuntu Linux Officially Released for PS3

sneeks

I may try this but am unsure if it'll offer any advantage over YDL?

Does anyone know if wifi will work with Ubuntu? I note from their website that Blu-Ray playback should be supported.

cyberheater

I may try this but am unsure if it'll offer any advantage over YDL?

Does anyone know if wifi will work with Ubuntu? I note from their website that Blu-Ray playback should be supported.

Wifi does not work yet. I think the linux devs are waiting for Sony to open the wifi stuff.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Wonder if it has option to fill the display without borders/overscan without needing to be a Linux expert?

sneeks

I reckon I'll give it a try. Is there an easy way to only format the Linux partition rather than the entire HDD, preferably from the kboot prompt?

The Ubuntu CD will allow you to run a Live version prior to install and hopefully that will demonstrate its capabilities.

sneeks

I tried to install this today but the screen res was of no use as the install windows did not fit onscreen. Not sure how to change the default screen res in Ubuntu, not possible in the System menu.

The LIVE install also froze at 15% which I've read is a common issue and will require me to download an alternative version. I don't understand why they provide a version which does not work correctly in the first place.

The onscreen fonts were more readable within Ubuntu using the Live CD so if I can work out how to change the screen res then I may well install it.

CellarDoor

Standard Member
How does the divx/xvid playback compare to YDL in Ubuntu?

Ninjapaul

Why would it be any different, YDL & Ubuntu are OS's not media players.

It might be different, depending on how optimised it is for the hardware, especially regarding the RSX. But I imagine it would be exactly the same.

dodger747

Anyone tried 720p .mkv playback with it yet? :thumbsup:

S

Sherlock64

The LIVE install also froze at 15% which I've read is a common issue and will require me to download an alternative version. I don't understand why they provide a version which does not work correctly in the first place.
I downloaded the alternate version and this DID NOT fix the freezing at 15% bug. What you need to do is set it to Manually partition the hard drive (then juts go with the default values: 10.something for root / formatted as EXt2 or Ext3 and the other as swap - then it gets past 15% and installs.

sneeks

Thanks for the advice. Have you used YDL prior to this and if so is it worthwhile me switching to Ubuntu?

S

Sherlock64

Thanks for the advice. Have you used YDL prior to this and if so is it worthwhile me switching to Ubuntu?
No, ubuntu was the first one I installed so can't say how it compares to YDL.

sneeks

I had a quick looks at Ubuntu on the PS3 using the Live cd, it uses the same interface as I'm currently using with YDL so visually it was identical. I did notice that the text was easier to read while using Firefox and system windows.

stuker

All

I installed Ubuntu on my PS3 today and would say it the best distro for the PS3 that i have used thusfar. I installed version 7.04 which has the gnome interface although there are others with KDE if you prefer that sort of thing. What i liked about it is:

1)Installation is dead simple from the live CD (apart from some annoying bugs). Its a graphical install and is suited to new users. there is a known bug which causes a system hang during install but this can be solved by killing unneeded processes to free up memory. This site has loads of info on it http://psubuntu.com/

2) everything works out of the box :) well most stuff. region 2 dvds work yay! Still to try bluray though but it looks like they have support for it. Samba is pre-installed so connecting to windows shares is a breeze

3)installing new applications is MUCH better as the package management in Ubuntu is fantastic. no need to emerge, remerge , rpm or anything like that. Ubuntu regularly send out updates as well (similar to windows update) to apply bug fixes and security patches.

4) its feel more stable and less Klunky than the other ps3 distros i have tried.

give it a try

S

jr_spurs

Standard Member
All

I installed Ubuntu on my PS3 today and would say it the best distro for the PS3 that i have used thusfar. I installed version 7.04 which has the gnome interface although there are others with KDE if you prefer that sort of thing. What i liked about it is:

1)Installation is dead simple from the live CD (apart from some annoying bugs). Its a graphical install and is suited to new users. there is a known bug which causes a system hang during install but this can be solved by killing unneeded processes to free up memory. This site has loads of info on it http://psubuntu.com/

2) everything works out of the box :) well most stuff. region 2 dvds work yay! Still to try bluray though but it looks like they have support for it. Samba is pre-installed so connecting to windows shares is a breeze

3)installing new applications is MUCH better as the package management in Ubuntu is fantastic. no need to emerge, remerge , rpm or anything like that. Ubuntu regularly send out updates as well (similar to windows update) to apply bug fixes and security patches.

4) its feel more stable and less Klunky than the other ps3 distros i have tried.

give it a try

S

Any sign of the Wireless feature in this distro. I presume the YDL guys havnt got this sorted yet. Given what you said above this is the only thing stopping me buying a PS3.

stuker

i dont know if the wireless issues has been solved or not. Its never been a problem for me as i dont use wireless. I have a jap import without the wireless interface and use a hardwired cat 5 connection. Best check the forums for support of wireless in this release

PS: i think i jumped the gun going on about region 2 dvd support out of the box. The DVD i tried was unencoded (doh) so i am still trying to get this working. Still a great distro though :)

Bushido

I think ill have a stab at install this.

I use Gentoo at the moment but I fine the vid playback choppy and need a slightly lighter dist.

Elecktro

Standard Member
btw..i wanted to ask..what is the difference between ubuntu and ydl for the ps3? i want to install linux but am now confused as to which one i should install since ubuntu is out?!

btw you cannot install both or more than one os on the ps3 can you?

stuker

ydl is a redhat based distribution whilst ubuntu is a debian based distro. no real diffs on the PS3 really but ubutu is better :)

Personally , having tried YDL (and gentoo), i would go ubuntu every time. Its a more polished product IMO.

Raze

I installed Ubuntu on my new PC the other day and I agree with Stuker it really is a polished product. I've got YDL installed on the PS3 and it was really easy to set up if you follow the right guide :)

BadBoy_R

I installed Ubuntu on my new PC the other day and I agree with Stuker it really is a polished product. I've got YDL installed on the PS3 and it was really easy to set up if you follow the right guide :)

You got a link to the guide you used?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022