Ubisoft Games for Xbox 720 and PS4

hotstepper

Established Member
Reaction score
2 interesting articles...

Ubisoft Games for PS4 and Xbox 720 : Product Reviews Net

Some rather exciting news for gaming enthusiasts around the world now as it has been revealed that Ubisoft are ALREADY developing games for the PS4 and Xbox 720 consoles.

As reported from TheSixthAxis, the news comes from Ubisoft founder Yves Guillemot who revealed the juicy details himself. When speaking about the companies latest financial report he stated:

“10 percent of Ubisoft’s workforce is working on developing games for the next generation of game systems that will eventually replace [the] Wii, [the] Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3.”

Can you believe he actually said that? You would of thought developing games for the next Xbox console is fair enough, but to reveal that they are already designing for the Playstation 4, it’s madness.

And

Microsoft working on 300,000 player MMO and next Xbox? Job ad hints | ElectricPig.co.uk

A Microsoft job advert appears to hint that the company is working both on the successor to the Xbox 360 and a massively multi-player online game (MMO) that’s capable of hosting 300,000 players all at once.

The advert read: “Microsoft Games Studios is looking for experienced game developers to work on next generation Xbox platform titles and Windows games.” Specifically, Microsoft Game Studios is looking for: “an experienced server developer to help develop our server architecture. We are building an extremely high performance system to extend console games to the server in new ways; creating a completely new set of web services to support dynamic programming information of games and scheduling data.” And that’s not all, Microsoft is currently “building a backend capable of hosting a 300,000player game in real-time with real money on the line (anti-cheating, etc).”

Most MMO games use multiple servers to each host a small fraction of the overall players in the game. EVE Online is the only single-server MMO, according to Develop. And while that does have around 300,000 players, only a peak of 50,000 of them have ever been online at once.

While Microsoft’s Xbox 360 motion-sensing peripheral, widely expected to be unveiled at E3 next week, indicates the company is taking the mainstream casual gamer market seriously, this also looks like it’s taking the hardcore of online players seriously too. That said, the company still has to roll out any serious MMO for its current generation Xbox 360.

MMOs or sensor bars or both? What direction will the next generation of consoles go in?

Given the lead time required for proper AAA titles, I'm not surprised. I remember reading an article about the development of Quake 3 years ago, ID were targeting the game at hardware that didn't even exist at the time.

However, MS/Sony must have given some idea of the capabilities of the new systems to the devs or late in the day rework will be required. :thumbsdow

"720" looking likely by 2011...
Bring it!! :thumbsup:

Why kill this gen off so fast?

If 360 goes please dont kill all the games like they did with the old xbox. That was crap.

A typical next gen game for launch will be in atleast pre-preduction at the moment for a full dev cycle close to 5years. There is more to making a game than actually physically making it. I believe there will be a good 12months looking at what the hardware might be able to do, working out what you can do with the hardware and deciding how to even approach the thing, the next gen hardware is going to be radically different from the 360 today and probably even more complex than the PS3. That's all before you start the 2/3years of hard production and then a final 6months to 12months of testing and finalising.

With new hardware the development will take much longer as you are essentially learning it as you go along and making up new tricks and techniques that improve efficiency and in some cases make the thing practical to use. A dev-kit is no substitute for just messing around with the system.

It was widely assumed the 720 games were started in late 2007, and Epic mentioned they were working on the next Unreal for next-gen consoles in early 2008.

Last edited:
Is there the hardware to do it yet?, I imagine new consoles have got to compete or better something like Crysis on a high end PC as it is, but surely that will be obsolete by the time the consoles are due out.

lets hope they make an xbox 720 that doesn't breakdown, i doubt it will hit the shops until they have made sure it has no problems this time.

Yeah, I hope MS have learnt that lesson... but I don't think they will be in any rush this time around given that Sony has said that they dont't plan on releasing a new console in the next 10 years....

Is there the hardware to do it yet?, I imagine new consoles have got to compete or better something like Crysis on a high end PC as it is, but surely that will be obsolete by the time the consoles are due out.

Companies such as Intel have technology 10years ahead of release, it's just too expensive and they also sit on it while it isn't needed.

Technology is not an issue.

lets hope they make an xbox 720 that doesn't breakdown, i doubt it will hit the shops until they have made sure it has no problems this time.

That was down to nVidia, responsible for the GPU in the old xbox being poached by Sony to help out with PS3. MS decided to make their own GPU for the 360 which is where most of the RROD's came from, in the end they had to get ATI to step in and sort them out.

Crytek & Epic have already released CryEngine & Unreal Engine 3 to devs already - expect console ports of Crysis at launch - and I wouldn't be suprised with Gears 3 was held back also.

I bet the 'Nextbox' will have its build-quality tested to the limit by Chuck Norris himself to ensure there's no repeat of the RRoD debacle. I'm not sure how Chuck would try and overheat a GPU but I'm sure he'd find a way.

I bet the 'Nextbox' will have its build-quality tested to the limit by Chuck Norris himself to ensure there's no repeat of the RRoD debacle. I'm not sure how Chuck would try and overheat a GPU but I'm sure he'd find a way.

He'd shout at it so much the GPU would get so hot it would cook itself.

An article in this month's Edge about the likelihood that the "next-generation" of hardware being very unlikely to emerge until 2012-13. It sounds sensible to me, I don't think anyone has a reason to move on to new hardware generation yet.

I think we're more likely to see revised versions of existing hardware sometime soon (maybe even this E3!), slim 360/PS3, Wii HD, but a whole new platform may be some way off yet.

Companies such as Intel have technology 10years ahead of release, it's just too expensive and they also sit on it while it isn't needed.

Technology is not an issue.

And the car/oil companies have developed engines capable of running on water, but they hold them back because there is too much money still to be made in oil :rolleyes:

Your being rather sarcastic when what I originally said is an industry wide fact.

Reverse engineering from alien spacecraft...
Area 51… it exists!! :eek:

FACT

An article in this month's Edge about the likelihood that the "next-generation" of hardware being very unlikely to emerge until 2012-13. It sounds sensible to me, I don't think anyone has a reason to move on to new hardware generation yet.

I think we're more likely to see revised versions of existing hardware sometime soon (maybe even this E3!), slim 360/PS3, Wii HD, but a whole new platform may be some way off yet.

I don't think MS can wait that long until another console, the 360 wasn't "future-proofed" enough at launch it give it an 8 year lifespan (it's predecessor lasted 4). The only thing MS can do for the 360 is a larger HDD - it badly needs a bigger storage medium, and I can't imagine Sony allowing a BR drive to be developed.

I don't think MS can wait that long until another console, the 360 wasn't "future-proofed" enough at launch it give it an 8 year lifespan (it's predecessor lasted 4). The only thing MS can do for the 360 is a larger HDD - it badly needs a bigger storage medium, and I can't imagine Sony allowing a BR drive to be developed.
I'm not entirely sure I agree the 360 isn't future-proofed, Bluray aside, it's a very capable machine from the evidence we've had to date. The obvious thing would be a complete hardware revision to once and for all end the RRoD and noise issues, but I see no need for a whole new architecture unless Sony sees the need too.

As regards Bluray, Sony are a commercial company and have incentive in making sure Bluray is a success, and drives are commercially available for MS to make an add-on if they see fit. I'm not sure Sony would legally be allowed to stop them, would that not be a restrictive trade practice?

I think MS don't really want to or need to anyway, I reckon they're betting the house on downloads.

I'd agree with you in some respects, as the 360 was so easy to code for - it's basically a stripped out gaming PC as it is - the developers hit the ground running with it - which made for great games at launch, but the downside is that graphically, it's hardly evolved since then, games now dont look much different from the launch titles (if you take the NFS series they've actually gotten worse since Most Wanted) - the PS3 has overtaken it graphically, and 1st party games will continue to get better, the 360 has hit it's ceiling and Devs have critised DVD for it's storage before MS have shut them up (Epic, Bizarre Creations & Bethesda spring to mind) & ID are saying that "Rage" requires BR for the stupidly high textures they're using.

Blu-Ray is already a success, yes Sony can make a lot of money by allowing a BR player for the 360, but they know that BR is a big selling point for the PS3 so I doubt they'll want to lose that - as for Restrictive Trade practice, well it would serve MS right to be on the crappy end of one of those for change wouldn't it?

I love my 360's, but I just can't see being competitive with the PS3's hardware in a couple of years time, personally, I think it's replacement will appear for Xmas 2010 but perhaps the economic situation has scuppered that, which may be a good thing - I only hope the console can work for that long so I don't have to buy another...

I'm sory, that is utter tosh....put in Gears 1 and compare to 2, Call of Duty 2 to 4 / WAW....then have a look at the gorgeous Resi 5 (in my mind the best game graphically available on the 360 AND PS3).

but the downside is that graphically, it's hardly evolved since then, games now dont look much different from the launch titles (..

I agree that the next gen is still a way off yet. I think, what with the costs of game development these days, that not many studios will be eager for the next gen either that will inevitably cost even more (more time, more staff). Plus, who wants to pay even more for games than we do now, not many consumers I'm guessing.

There's no way a new xbox will come out before 2011 in my opinion. The xbox lasted 4 years? That's because Microsoft wanted to get a jump start on the PS3, if they hadn't then xbox would have lasted 5 years. Also, xbox came out later when PS2 was already established, so it had an uphill task from the start. So that argument of 360 only just outlasting the xbox is nonsense, they are 2 completely different kettles of fish.

Games don't look better? How about Gears 1 to 2? Call of duty 2/3 to 4/5 and now MW2? A consoles lifespan doesn't rely entirely on graphics anymore, it's about improved gameplay, improved physics, processing power. non-game services also increase the lifespan, look at how much MS is improving xbox live with the marketplaces, netflix, sky player, 1v100 style games.

The days of consoles dying when they could not get any graphically better are long gone, as they have a lot more to offer these days. Paul T, no offense but it seems it's more of the fact that you want the xbox to have hit it's ceiling just so PS3 has the advantage, not because you think it has. Your comment about Microsoft being on the receiving end of anti-competitive behaviour contributes to me assuming that, and is a bit childish to be honest because it just sounds like a personal attack on them.

Blu-Ray is already a success, yes Sony can make a lot of money by allowing a BR player for the 360, but they know that BR is a big selling point for the PS3 so I doubt they'll want to lose that - as for Restrictive Trade practice, well it would serve MS right to be on the crappy end of one of those for change wouldn't it?

Sony don't 'own' Blu ray. There's absolutely nothing stopping MS releasing a BD drive if they so choose:)

Sony don't 'own' Blu ray. There's absolutely nothing stopping MS releasing a BD drive if they so choose:)

Exactly, I didn't address this in my other post but it's spot on. Microsoft would just by the license from Sony. Sony stopping them would be like MS stopping Apple buying OEM Windows Vista licenses to put on their computers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom