UA43N5000AU Picture jerky when watching football

AVnewbieguy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have very recently bought an N5000 Series 43 inch. I am happy with the quality except for one odd issue. When watching the football, the picture is very jerky. This is not the case for most other TV shows. Some movies are and some aren't.

Would anyone have any insight into what might be causing this? Furthermore, can anyone help me with a firmware update for my TV, or does no update exist for that model? UA43N5000AU.

Thank you for your advice.

This will be down to the fast panning shots required to keep up with the ball and you may need to look at which setting you need to apply in order to smooth this experience out. Many TV's have a Intelligent Frame Creations system which will enable you to smooth the experience although for something it isn't good to use it. I'd experiment a little to see which one you find works for you best when watching football and then revert it back for everything else :)

Thanks, Shane PJ.

Not sure my TV has such a setting? There is Sport Mode.

I have read about something called judder and I'm wondering if my problem is in that category? All I know is the quality is very good but on occasions such as football becomes jerky.
I played a movie on USB recently that was also jerky, but that could have been the movie itself.

If everything was jerky, I could say the TV was defective, or perhaps the connection to cable was bad. I cannot predict if something will be jerky on not.

Thanks again.

You could try the sport mode to see if that adds some frame interpolation. As for the USB, this could be the type of drive and its connection as USB 3.0 and above should be good for film, but there are so many variables, it could be many things causing it from the file types to their not being enough power to drive the peripherals depending upon the ability of the TV’s USB output

You could try the sport mode to see if that adds some frame interpolation. As for the USB, this could be the type of drive and its connection as USB 3.0 and above should be good for film, but there are so many variables, it could be many things causing it from the file types to their not being enough power to drive the peripherals depending upon the ability of the TV’s USB output
Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

Sport mode will grey out other settings, best to experiment with motion plus. Try turning them off or to custom set to zero.
Which source are you watching football from?

What is your source for the football. If it is an external device (eg a fireTV stick) you might need to check that the device is set to the same frame rate as the football stream. On my system the fire TV stick defaults to 60hz, every time it switches on, and since I am in UK most shows are streamed at 50Hz. If I leave the stick at 60, the frame rate conversion creates nasty judder effects.

Sport mode will grey out other settings, best to experiment with motion plus. Try turning them off or to custom set to zero.
Which source are you watching football from?
I am watching from cable. I am not streaming, just getting the feed directly from the cable decoder box. This is why it is confusing why most viewing is perfect but some things such as football are jerky.

What is your source for the football. If it is an external device (eg a fireTV stick) you might need to check that the device is set to the same frame rate as the football stream. On my system the fire TV stick defaults to 60hz, every time it switches on, and since I am in UK most shows are streamed at 50Hz. If I leave the stick at 60, the frame rate conversion creates nasty judder effects.
I am watching from a cable decoder. I don't think either the decoder or my TV has the options to do things like change frame rate.

The system in question doesn't actually change the frame rate, what it does is inserted frames from the footage which it receives. You usually find for most things, you don't need it, but for football and horse racing you may depending upon the TV's ability. So, it's always best to try and find the right balance for you. It'll be worded in on of the ways that has been mentioned above

I am watching from cable. I am not streaming, just getting the feed directly from the cable decoder box. This is why it is confusing why most viewing is perfect but some things such as football are jerky.
So have you made any changes to the motion settings?

The system in question doesn't actually change the frame rate, what it does is inserted frames from the footage which it receives. You usually find for most things, you don't need it, but for football and horse racing you may depending upon the TV's ability. So, it's always best to try and find the right balance for you. It'll be worded in on of the ways that has been mentioned above
The system (depending on what it is) absolutely can change the frame rate to the TV. What you are talking about is frame rate conversion, where the frame rate of the source is adapted to the frame rate sent to the tv by adding / removing frames. This causes judder effects. The fire TV stick, PC's and other devices such as my KODI box, can instead be set so the frame rate sent to the TV is the same as the source material so conversion is not necessary. The best ones do this automatically.

I have no idea whether the cable decoder the OP is using can do this - or even if it has any manual settings to control it.

Thank you to all replies. I'm grateful.

If I were to ask less technically: the TV is brand new. If I discern more than once or twice even a small amount of jerkiness on an out-of the-box brand new TV, does it mean the TV is defective and should be replaced? Or is it an issue of tweaking settings?

I think what I'm saying is I would hope a new TV just plays well before we even talk about other devices. Why would a respected name like a Samsung have a bad frame rate conversion? What should I look out for to distinguish between less than optimal settings and a TV that may have a fault?

Thank you again.

It will most likely be a characteristic of the panel and tweaking will help reduce it. Note that no panel is perfect and the more pennies you spend on it, the better it is at usually reducing the effects so it doesn't bother the end user as much. Football is a tricky thing for large panels as the tiny ball lots of tiny pixels moving (grass) and footballers together with large crowds all moving in different angles together with fast panning which creates acute angle issues which usually identified as jerky, blurry, jumping, blotching imaging on screen

I am going to need more guidance, sorry. How/where do I change motion settings? Apologies for the cluelessness.
Apologies for my delayed response, on your tv I think it is in menu, picture, advanced settings. Scroll down until you get to LED clear motion and turn it off..

It will most likely be a characteristic of the panel and tweaking will help reduce it. Note that no panel is perfect and the more pennies you spend on it, the better it is at usually reducing the effects so it doesn't bother the end user as much. Football is a tricky thing for large panels as the tiny ball lots of tiny pixels moving (grass) and footballers together with large crowds all moving in different angles together with fast panning which creates acute angle issues which usually identified as jerky, blurry, jumping, blotching imaging on screen
Thank you, ShanePJ.

I have a better understanding from this and am reassured that the issue is not a fault. Your advice is appreciated. Actually, the TV plays well and I am not unsatisfied.

Apologies for my delayed response, on your tv I think it is in menu, picture, advanced settings. Scroll down until you get to LED clear motion and turn it off..
Thank you, cuke2u.

I found something called Motion Lighting under Advanced Settings , but not LED Clear Motion. Presumably that is just another name for the same function. It was off by default. It might be subjective but I couldn't tell much difference. Overall, though, I think I am not unhappy with my TV just need some time to get used to it when watching some sports. USB playback and satellite TV are great. Thank you once again for your assistance.

Thank you, ShanePJ.

I have a better understanding from this and am reassured that the issue is not a fault. Your advice is appreciated. Actually, the TV plays well and I am not unsatisfied.
What TV have you replaced out of interest?

Thank you, cuke2u.

I found something called Motion Lighting under Advanced Settings , but not LED Clear Motion. Presumably that is just another name for the same function. It was off by default. It might be subjective but I couldn't tell much difference. Overall, though, I think I am not unhappy with my TV just need some time to get used to it when watching some sports. USB playback and satellite TV are great. Thank you once again for your assistance.
No problem, is there a Motion Plus / Led Motion Plus setting in there as motion lighting isn't the same and have you updated the firmware to the latest version dated Oct 19 2019? UA43N5000AU | Samsung Support AFRICA_EN
Not sure which country you're in so best go to the Samsung support site for where you live..

So, it's not a massive change, but as you've gone from a 720p to a 1080p panel.

Downloading the UK Manual and pulling the picture setting from it, below is all you have to play with looking at what's on offer

Picture Options
MENU → Picture → Picture Options → ENTER
When connecting a PC, you can only make changes to the Colour Tone.

Colour Tone: Adjusts the colour tone.
Warm1 or Warm2 will be deactivated when the picture mode is Dynamic.
Settings can be adjusted and stored for each external device connected to an input on the TV

Digital Clean View:
If the broadcast signal received by your TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Clean View feature to reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen.
When the signal is weak, try other options until the best picture is displayed.
Auto Visualisation: When changing analogue channels, displays signal strength.
Only available for analogue channels.
When the INFO button is pressed, the signal strength bar is displayed. When bar is green, you are receiving the best possible signal.
MPEG Noise Filter: Reduces MPEG noise to provide improved picture quality

HDMI Black Level: Selects the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth.
Available only in HDMI mode (RGB signals).
Film Mode: Sets the TV to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Available in TV mode and external input mode which supports SD (480i / 576i) and HD (1080i) except in when connected to a PC.
If the screen does not seem natural, change its option to Off / Auto1 / Auto2 in Film Mode.

Analogue Clean View (Analogue channels only) (Depending on the country and model): Reduces diagonal noise in picture caused by the crosstalk of signals.

LED Clear Motion (Depending on the country and model): Removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clear picture.
It will be deactivated when the Picture Mode is set to Natural.
The screen may become slightly darker when you play LED Clear Motion

So, looking at the above, LED Clear Motion is there and you need to see whether you prefer one of the options. For everything else, I would say try Film Mode as this should switch everything off and allow the natural signal to remove all unwanted manipulations systems.

Good one, hadn't thought about the picture mode, definitely try setting to movie...

Thank you, ShanePJ and cuke2u.

I found LED Clear Motion but the jerkiness was still (fractionally) there when watching football. Typically one or two long, aerial passes seem to have a flicker midway. This must be the panning issue. I must say, however, that this seems much rarer. At this point, I actually have to look for it.
I like the Film mode a lot. My solution will be to watch sport and movies in Film mode.

I checked the upgrade but my TV says it is up-to-date with ver. 1008.0.

Thank you again, Shane PJ, cuke2u and tonycollinet, for taking the time to share your expertise. I am now happy to enjoy my TV.

Again no problem, you can experiment with the motion settings, for example; with some apps I set motion to custom, then all settings zero, but with SkyQ I turn off the motion settings. It might sound like they're the same but with Samsung they can effect the motion results differently...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom