U8G Processing Power/Image Quality: Built-in OS vs Fire TV 4k Stick

bigblueshock

Novice Member
Reaction score
Excited to have pulled the trigger on this TV and it is on the way. I'm a big believer of using External Devices due to upgradability (such as a Fire TV Stick) and not using built in OS's. I'm not going to be connecting any additional devices to the TV, no external speakers, etc.

Simply trying to figure out if I should use the built-in Android TV or connect my Fire Stick 4k (2018). I searched and couldn't find the processing capabilities specs. Also, I wonder if I'll get a better picture using the TV's OS versus Fire Stick.

Thoughts and opinions? Or are there too many variables?

Try the built-in apps and then compare with the Firestick.

Guess I will go that route, thanks.

I'm actually curious what other people do regardless of what Hisense model they have. If they use an external device, or built-in

Good external device is always better as it will be supported for longer. Seeing that you have one already, job done.

Used the first gen 4k stick in it for a while. I was unhappy with Auto mode set on fire stick would output in 1080p unless viewing a direct Amazon video. No apps would output in 4k otherwise.

Setting the stick to 4k at all times made 1080p content look crappy.

As of now I’m using the built in Android TV without any issues. 4k content is properly put out in 4k,
And 1080p content is properly upscaled (to best of TV’s ability)

If it ever becomes obsolete or sluggish I’ll maybe look into the 4k Max stick, or check other options.

Used the first gen 4k stick in it for a while. I was unhappy with Auto mode set on fire stick would output in 1080p unless viewing a direct Amazon video. No apps would output in 4k otherwise.

Setting the stick to 4k at all times made 1080p content look crappy.

As of now I’m using the built in Android TV without any issues. 4k content is properly put out in 4k,
And 1080p content is properly upscaled (to best of TV’s ability)

If it ever becomes obsolete or sluggish I’ll maybe look into the 4k Max stick, or check other options.
I have the 4k Max Fire Stick and have no problems with 1080p. I have it set to always HDR and of course the HDMI input set to enhanced HDMI. Which sets the profile to DV all the time. Which I use DV custom. And obviously the 1080p is upscaled by the TV. The few shows I have watched that were 1080 looked amazing, most recently Crime on Brit Box.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom