U230 or 1201N or something else ?

anrkyuk

Standard Member
Ok, I’ll admit I'm stumped.

I'm looking for a netbook/laptop/notebook. I currently have a gaming pc but want something to use about that house or in my office when I just want to use the internet without having to use a pc with a pair of 5850's in it using lord knows how much power just to browse the web.

I don't need bling and trinketery, don’t need HDMI, wireless, bluetooth, webcams. I don't care about looks, size, weight, battery life etc.

As long as It can be used for general internet use with lots and lots of tabs open, watching tv/movies from youtube / iplayer etc. Would be nice if it could handle light photograph editing and frontpage or other wysiwyg web editing so can use for ebay buying / selling. And would like something capable of running old games and browser based java / flash games.

Must have 3 USB ports, VGA or DVI output with a 12" non glossy or bigger screen and as near as a proper keyboard as I have somewhat large clumsy hands and ofc some form of dedicated graphics.

From my 3 days of reading forums posts and reading reviews I've come up with 2 machines thus far the U230 ( the newer model with HD3200, I think the older model had a x1250 gpu ) and the 1201N.

A sort of 2 fold question from these reviews am I thinking the MSI Wind12 U230 is the better option for what I want and/or does anyone have a better or alternative solution for around £400 ?

AnandTech: ASUS Eee PC 1201N: Dual-Core Atom + ION FTW?
Asus Ion-Powered Eee PC 1201N Review - HotHardware
HEXUS.net - Review :: MSI Wind 12 U230: AMD Congo takes the fight to Intel CULV : Page - 1/9

Many Thanks
Anthony

mipevo6

Not sure you really need a gaming gpu in there...

maybe better off with something with more horse power in the cpu..

asus UL30a
acer 1810tz
HP DM3
etc...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom