U2 and price of merchandise

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although all the time and effort that Bono is putting into Live 8 is admirable, I feel that prices at U2's recent concerts of £27 for a T-Shirt and £15 for a programme make me long for a campaign entitled 'Make Profiteering History'.

remember, U2 have several palatial homes to support.........please donate generously :(

I just watched the start of Live8 and I have to say that Bono is such a self-idolising, self-important, egotistical idiot that I just can't bear to watch the prat!

Talking of Live8, I have been watching it since the start and, without wanting to sound like a killjoy, the entertainment value has been pretty low for me. Bands coming on for just a couple of songs and what looks like a severe lack of interest from the crowd aren't adding to the event. All I hear is how AMAZING the atmosphere is but LiveAid blew this away. And to make matters worse Dido is on now!! Awful.

I shall probably turn on for Pink Floyd tonight, though i don't know what time they are supposed to be on

depending on schedule about 9.00 - stings on at 8.00 and they are 4 acts later plus robbie will be on longer than planned :D

surprised at the negative comments so far - i was at live aid :devil:

crowd may be a bit quiet since i gather there is no booze :eek:

stevegreen said:
I just watched the start of Live8 and I have to say that Bono is such a self-idolising, self-important, egotistical idiot that I just can't bear to watch the prat!

are you going to boycott bill gate's products as well :rotfl:

Think I'm getting more cynical - now there's some non-entity on called Miss Dynamite who is singing her only ever hit, the basis of which is to tell you who she is !! Awful. Its no good having the BIGGEST music concert ever if you have to fill the schedules with RUBBISH. It could have been shortened down and let more of the better acts sing more songs, doing away with the dross.

must have missed a band called REM :D

the idea is to appeal to ALL sections of music lovers - hence the cross section

some i like - others not but that comment would be true for most people

boring old farts like me are looking forward to floyd - the younger generation will wonder what all the fuss is about - shame they could'nt get syd to reappear :cool:

indeed I am, but I don't put Bill Gates in the same bracket as Bono ;)

For one, he doesn't wear stupid galsses :D

stevegreen said:
indeed I am, but I don't put Bill Gates in the same bracket as Bono ;)

For one, he doesn't wear stupid galsses :D

you ever though of trying galsses :D makes a world of difference :D

or have you had a few galsses too many :devil:

sorry no offence intended just having a giraffe :hiya:

stevegreen said:

He'd probably be the first person to agree with you :). If you care read the book. There's a LOT of substance behind the style.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Looks like i am in the minority here.I thought the gig was superb ,apart from a couple of bands[miss dynamite was cack].

samjet said:
are you going to boycott bill gate's products as well :rotfl:

Anybody actually note that Bill Gates is the worlds largest giver to Africa and other causes. He is on record as saying he will give over almost all of his entire fortune to charitable causes.

Interesting that all the money we've all spent on MS products over the years will actually be going to charity.

Well done Bill. Not something I ever thought I'd hear myself saying.

SOK said:
Think I'm getting more cynical - now there's some non-entity on called Miss Dynamite who is singing her only ever hit, the basis of which is to tell you who she is !! Awful.

I was in the car yesterday when "Coxsy" was interviewing Miss Dynamite-EE-EE on the radio. Asked why she picked the songs she did, she said she picked "Miss Dynamite-EE-EE" because it is a "happy song" and that it would lighten the mood on a "serious" day. I turned to my wife and said "yeah, and because it's her only hit single as well".

I agree, absolute toss. And who the hell decided to give "Velvet Revolver" such a high billing? They are possibly the worst group I've heard since "the Darkness".

michaelm said:
I was in the car yesterday when "Coxsy" was interviewing Miss Dynamite-EE-EE on the radio. Asked why she picked the songs she did, she said she picked "Miss Dynamite-EE-EE" because it is a "happy song" and that it would lighten the mood on a "serious" day. I turned to my wife and said "yeah, and because it's her only hit single as well".

I agree, absolute toss. And who the hell decided to give "Velvet Revolver" such a high billing? They are possibly the worst group I've heard since "the Darkness".

Never heard Velvet Revolver before. I thought they were really good. Crowd looked bored stupid like they did all day but the energy and enthusiasm was superb. Variety is the spice of life.

P.S. I've never been to a rocking concert during the day. It doesn't feel right to go nutty when it's still light and people can see you acting daft :D

Agree that concerts during the day are rubbish. I also think that the lack of alcohol for Live8 affected the atmosphere - its even easier to act silly in the dark when you tanked up!!

But getting back to being cynical, I read today that all the CD sales were through the roof for those that appeared.

Also, why is Bill Gates being slagged off when he has given over $5 BILLION (yes BILLION) to charity. I know it is only a fraction of what he's worth, but 5 BILLION !! My opinion of him has changed.

Also, why is Bill Gates being slagged off when he has given over $5 BILLION (yes BILLION) to charity. I know it is only a fraction of what he's worth, but 5 BILLION !! My opinion of him has changed.

because that is NOTHING when you have $50Bn !!!! it still leaves $45bn in the current account and means that he and the wife can bask in the glory of being great philanthropists...

try giving £50 when you or your family have nothing left.......thats giving...

Its still 10% of his worth - don't see the U2 boys/Elton John/Paul McCartney/Sting/Pink Floyd/Robbie Williams/Beyonce/etc/etc handing over 10% of their wealth.

Also hear that he plans to leave nearly all his money to charity in his will - I realise that he might leave a billion or two to his family but he is still giving away a lot of dough!!

because that is NOTHING when you have $50Bn !!!! it still leaves $45bn in the current account and means that he and the wife can bask in the glory of being great philanthropists...
Agreed. When talking billions of personal wealth 5 billion isn't that much. If he was giving 50% of his earnings over then I'd be impressed.

Its still 10% of his worth - don't see the U2 boys/Elton John/Paul McCartney/Sting/Pink Floyd/Robbie Williams/Beyonce/etc/etc handing over 10% of their wealth.
That is also a good point. If that lot gave over 10% an entire African nation could be supplied with essentials for years.........

Agreed. When talking billions of personal wealth 5 billion isn't that much. If he was giving 50% of his earnings over then I'd be impressed.

yeah because then he would only have $25 Bn left to live on !! :rolleyes:

my point exactly ! Elton John spends a quarter of a million a year on flowers for goodness sake !!.and we are supposed to be impressed because they sang a few songs and helped shift a few thousand album sales no doubt ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom