• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

U.S.A. Sim Card deals

mpw2081

Prominent Member
As above I am travelling to the States next month and I am looking to buy a sim card for phone calls and maybe data. Can anybody suggest or recommend a SIM card that anybody has used in the states that was good and cheap. :smashin:

steve1221

Established Member
Best bet wander into any drug store (CVS, Walgraves, etc) or a branch of Target or Walmart.

They have sim's on cards either by the tills or in the mobiles section. They list on the card all the costs, data cost varies by quite a bit by network.

Also, they charge you over there for receiving calls as well as making them, so factor that into whatever you get.

dolcevita

Standard Member
There's a lot of choice!

Work out what you want to do - for example, will all your calls / texts be to or from the US, or will you also want to make / receive calls from the UK?

If the latter, then you may want something like:

ekit, SIMple Calling Plus SIM card

You can buy this SIM in many US airports on arrival. It offers a "global" number, (a UK +44 792 xxx xxxx number) as well as a US number. This allows your UK callers to call you on the UK number, which is free or low cost for them, and surprisingly seems to be free for you to receive calls while in the US.

Of course you also have the US number to use within the US. The rates are OK, but watch out for the 50c connection charge which can eat up your credit if you've lots of short calls.

I didn't do a lot of homework before buying this, so there may well be much better deals - but it certainly was much cheaper for me than using roaming on my UK mobile (at least £1/minute to make or receive calls, and 35p per text).

True Romance

Distinguished Member
When we was last in the states we got two phones from wal-mart, think they cost around £25 each, but came with loads of free minutes......used them for 3 weeks calling each other and calling back to the UK and still had loads of time left! Can't for the life of me think what network is was......could have been NET-10???

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom