1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U-571 ree-jun uno

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rachael Bitchlist, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Sound & Vision arrived here today at my door. Just a few pages in is a two page advert for U-571. Biggest advert for a DVD that's in my rather limited memory bank, si? Well, U-571 is playstation compatible, duh, it says so. I think that's kinda' like the Good House Keeping Seal of Approveal. Oh, up on top it proclaims, " own the year's action-packed THRILL RIDE".

Here's the special featurs:
    making of U-571

director's cmments

creating and constructing U-571

inside the Enigma

Britan captures the U-110

a submariner's WW 2 experience

U.S. Naval Archives: capturing the U-505

trailer

DVD-ROM features (?)

PLUS! Win thousands of prizes instantly! A U-571 decoder card is included for some kind of game. Gee, I bet it's a high tech scratch-off card, golly! The only identified prize is a "VIP tour a U.S. Naval facility", and a ride on a nuclear sub. Gee, I wonder if you get out of sight of San Diego or New London, or where ever? Do you get to fire something? A Tident, or even a deck gun would be fun!

I saw this movie in the theatre, and it's mildly entertaining. The sound effects are among the best I've heard. That'sa 'ah spicey deapth charge! I hope the home version can capture the spatial effects depicted overhead in theatre. The popping of the charges, was spectacular. I hope the featurettes are worthwhile, I'm intrested in the actual war's events. This looks like an intresting release. Being the audio-vidiot that I am, I also pre-ordered the Laserdisc too. The neighbors better get ear plugs, maybe I should hand them out! Snap, crackle, pop....

Oddly enough the advert doesn't say a thing about aspect ratio, anamorphics, or sound options, as if we all know? Or care? uuuh....
    This looks like a nice release. Recuerdos and salutations!

P.S. - I saw the thang in a DTS theatre, and to the best of my knowledge, the DVD will have DD & DTS. The LD will be DD. I can't wait!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bitchlist (edited 13-10-2000).]

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Rachael ...
    From the reviews I've read this will be a DTS DVD on Region1 and the sound is (as you said) "state of the the art" (or state of the ark!) Even though the film is a bit cliche city Arizona I will be getting it (about £13 at absound.ca)
    I have even bought Das Boot to get me in the submarine mood ... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Paul, I'm worse off than you! I'm a DVDaholic and an LD junkie! Best wishes!

------------------

4. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah,Das Boot was good i was even rooting for them,shame they were krauts!I know that U571 is going to be a bit of the yank's winning the war but at least it's a modern made war film,and it's in dts!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought this R1 today racheal got it more or less right also

dolby digital and DTS [​IMG]
    2.35:1 anamorphic as well

[This message has been edited by Rizzla (edited 15-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rizzla (edited 15-10-2000).]

6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Rizzia, did you order it or did it arrive? Mine has not come yet via the post. The LD won't come till November somethin'. I'm curious about their submarine ride game. I'm ready to fire that de**** gun, after all, I'm American and we're only happy when we have something to shoot! The advert ti****led me a bit. I'l greet the postman monday and keep my fingers crossed. It sells in the stores here tuesday, the weekly release day. I have vays z'of findzing things outz! Ze sarroundt dezine es uh steak secret, an I am ze stake. Best wishes, comrades!

------------------

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    For the life of me, what could I have said that warra****s censor? Is ti****le a bad word? Does de**** have a secret meaning? ********************* and furthermore*******************! Seriously, which is hard for me, what's up, que pasa!

------------------

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Tic****led and dee****, if you take a 'c' out of word # 1 and an 'e' out of what's behind door number two. I don't get it, ze big mahsheen es vatching, we....?

------------------

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again rachael
    I get all my region 1 movies at a local computer fair,normally i get them 1 to 2 weeks before they are released in america.
    p.s im in the U.K.

------------------

10. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Can anybody answer me why, ordinary household words had letters replaced by stars (*). The two long runs of stars were my doings. Was this some cosmic fluke? Or, Kosmic Censcorship? I'm baffled why warrant, deck, and tickled had letters removed. Now, I can certainly imagine words that have wordy rappinghood qualities, which might be impolite and rude to utter. What's at work here, if anything?

Rizza, lucky you!
    Best wishes and salutations! Que pasa mi compadres? REALLY?

------------------