TZ7 'Life Support Beeping' Noises / Recording Limits

decbohan

Standard Member
Hi,

Just got a TZ7 last week and while I love it I have been having a few issues.

Recording when there is not much sound like a quiet room will result in a constant Beeping sound like a life support machine.

It happens every three seconds on SVCHD and every second on HD.

I read on another forum that it's compatiability issue with some other cards. Is this the case? Has anyone else noticed the problem?

I don't mind the zoom and focusing noises but this is very annoying.

My firmare is Version 1.0 and my card is an Integral SDHC 16GB Class6 Ultima Pro one. I have ordered a different card and will post back my results.

On a recording time limit has anyone else noticed that you only get 8m 20secs of HD time. I knew about the 15m limit on SVCHD but had no idea about the HD one.

Noticed it at the Beyonce gig. Obviousily the beeping not an issue when the audio is so loud. Might still be there but no way to tell.

ALso, is there any adapter to plug into the audio out that would allow you to listen to the camera via headphones?

Cheers ..

Declan

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Hi.
Just to clarify the recording times.
The EU limit for AVCHD is 15mins as you know but the 8mins 20 sec MJPEG limit is a file size limit thats been in place for years. Its not based on card size or anything like that. MJPEG has a max 2GB file size and thats around 8mins 20 sec in HD mode.
It is in the manual but you have to go searching for it.

Hope that clears things up.

Not sure what you mean by the Audio out as it doesn't have one other than the HDMI out. Is that what you mean?

Good luck with the new SD card. Im hearing quite a few people are having those problems, so far ive been ok.

Are you going to upload any of the footage from the gig? Im quite interested to see some if you do.

decbohan

Standard Member
Hello Dave

MJPEG has a max 2GB file size and thats around 8mins 20 sec in HD mode.
It is in the manual but you have to go searching for it. Hope that clears things up.

Sure does :)

.. the HDMI out. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, wondered if there was a little gadget that plugged in there and had a 3.5 jack on it or something .. I notice that when it's hooked up to the TV the video is still viewable on the camera so that means you could plug some sort of adapter in to it to just for audio and still be able to view movies on it.

Good luck with the new SD card. Im hearing quite a few people are having those problems, so far ive been ok.

Yeah, I had no idea that the issue exsisted before I purchased but seems quite a few people have the problem or have noticed it at least. I'd say 90% of people buy the camera for taking photos and the 10% that do buy it for video maybe just stick to concerts and so would never hear that beeping.

Been discussing it on these two sites also:

TZ7 Review - Photography Blog

DP Review - Forum TZ7 Beeping

And here is a YouTube video that a guy posting where you can hear the 'life support' beeping noise :)

YouTube TZ7 Beeping Video

Are you going to upload any of the footage from the gig? Im quite interested to see some if you do.

As soon as my broadband is back I will. The audio on AVCHD is quite alot better than HD for whatever reason.

Going to Britney next Friday week (the 19th June) and will be taking it along :)

The good thing about the TZ7 is that it is very descreet. A guy a few rows from me had a Sony TG3 and the security said NO VIDEO and smiled at me. I rolled my eyes as much as to say 'the cheek of him' :)

Looking forward to the outdoor Springsteen gig coming up in July too. I'll have to do something about the mic though as the last time I was at an outdoor gig it was bad on another Sony camera I had.

I have tried the wind-cut feature on the TZ7 but other than 'change' the sound somewhat I found it not good at all at blocking out the wind sound.

Declan

Last edited:

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
I must admit Ive not heard of a device that can just take the audio from a HDMI feed. At least not one thats just a small adaptor.
It would be useful though.
I'm also taking part in the DPreview thread as i am using Kingston cards and i believe the OP was also using one (or at least someone with the same problem was). I have just checked mine again and cant hear it.
The AF noise bugs me though but as long as its not a quiet room you cant really hear it.
I got mine mainly for video and I'm sure you've read some of my moaning about it in the TZ7 thread but Ive settled down now and am enjoying using it, still more for video that for stills.
And yes, i got mine for gigs as well although i haven't been to any big ones yet. Sounds like you will be busy through out the summer.
It is a lot more convenient having something so small. I just hope the Venues dont start cottoning on to the fact we have HD cameras in our pockets now.;)

decbohan

Standard Member
I must admit Ive not heard of a device that can just take the audio from a HDMI feed. At least not one thats just a small adaptor.
It would be useful though.

I'm sure I had something that would attach to the white part of the audio-out leads. Maplins had one I'm sure.

The device would need it's own line volume like earphones though as the volume on the camera doesn't control the audio-out volume.

I have just checked mine again and cant hear it.

Are you Firmware 1.0 or 1.1? I'm 1.0 and that seems to be the one with the trouble.

I'm sure you've read some of my moaning about it in the TZ7 thread ..

Might have :)

.. i got mine for gigs as well although i haven't been to any big ones yet. Sounds like you will be busy through out the summer.
It is a lot more convenient having something so small. I just hope the Venues dont start cottoning on to the fact we have HD cameras in our pockets now.;)

I'm just gonna make sure my seats are in the middle of the row next time as it's only people on the edge of the aisle seats that get hasssled. Whitesnake playing next week too and i'm tempted to go to that - let go of my youth one more time :)

Declan

ps .. here's a video that made me get the TZ7 / ZS3

PINK Funhouse Tour TZ7 / ZS3

Last edited:

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Im on firmware 1.1 but didnt have the beeping on v1.0 either. Very strange.

I must admit it was those Pink videos that sold me on the camera as well. Fantastic quality for a P&S.

As for the adaptor. Im pretty sure you wont find anything as simple as a plug adaptor. For a start the audio is at line level i believe so wouldn't be loud enough to use with headphones. Im also pretty sure the volume control on the camera is for the built in amp and not the audio out so you wouldn't have any control over level. You can get a small headphone amp but i dont think that's what you mean. I could be wrong though.

I love the audio on the TZ7. Ive used many field recorders over the past 20 year, recording bands and a lot of been a pain to get a nice clean recording. This is the first device ive used that just sound s good without any fiddling. Just as well i guess.
I saw Whitesnake a few years ago at Wembley Arena (i think). Great gig and it did indeed bring back a lot of memories.
I would very much like to see any of them if you do go.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom