tz30 or hx20v?

AdamK01

Standard Member
Reaction score
one of those which one threads. ive got a tz20 currently.

...so what are you trying to improve on over your current TZ20 then ?

probably image quality, i went from a tz5 ccd to the tz20 mos and wondered what panasonic had done. i find the tz20 too noisy.

the reason im undecided is some sites rate the canon sx260h highly, some the hx20v, which i was going to buy, but then trusted reviews said the image quality sucked. so now im back to the tz30, as i dont like canons.

maybe i should be asking which sites to trust.

Yeah but you were after IQ ;)

BTW - does it need to be a compact format as opposed to a bridge design ?

i was looking for compactness as i carry it with my camcorder. plus i like the sound of 20x zoom.

i was looking for compactness as i carry it with my camcorder. plus i like the sound of 20x zoom.

Yeah - I can empathise with that - continually searching for "the perfect compact" myself :)

Only asked as I've seen some cracking results from the Nikon P510 posted on AVF recently and it's got a 42X Optical zoom :cool:

Jim

I'm having the same thoughts at the moment. Was planning on getting the TZ30 for some planned travelling in a couple of months however after seeing a video the other day for the hx20v I'm wondering which one I would prefer. Both look pretty similar in terms of features and what they offer so ultimately for me it might fall to which I can get cheapest

IÂ’m having the same dilemma at the moment, I think IÂ’ve narrowed it down to the TZ30 or HX20v but canÂ’t decide between the two. ItÂ’s annoying that they couldnÂ’t just use the same sensor in the TZ30 as theyÂ’ve used in the TZ25 as it sounds like that produces the best picture quality, but I want the 20x zoom plus all the other features.

I think overall the HX20v is edging it for me at the moment, however I do like the idea of the touch screen on the Panasonic and the fact that itÂ’s a bit smaller. However it sounds like the Sony has the best image quality, though IÂ’m slightly concerned that some people moan about it producing images that look overly processed.

im gonna order a hx20 unless someone has a reason for going for the tz30.

im gonna order a hx20 unless someone has a reason for going for the tz30.

I went with the hx20 myself in the end (though its yet to arrive so I can't give an opinion).

I looked at various sample images and there didn't seem to be much in it, but I thought the Sony had the edge. I also looked at quite a lot of reviews, and although I don't know which to trust when it comes to cameras everyone seemed to prefer the Sony.

However Amazon do have the tz30 for ÂŁ250 at the moment which seems quite a bargain. Hurry if you're going for the hx20 as the cashback ends very soon.

yeah i know, ive found the hx20 at ÂŁ269 from UK Digital, are they any good?

Never used them myself but they look okay. Seem to be UK based and have a good google seller rating (assuming that means much). Think I came across them when I was looking but not sure why I forgot about them and ordered from Amazon.

The 2 cameras seem pretty even with pros and cons of each. Probably best to try them out in a shop and see which suits you best.

Last edited:
The TZ's GPS is notorious for eating up the battery - turn it off unless you rely need it - thats what I did on my TZ10 - or just get a couple of cheap spare batteries... or get the TZ25 :)

Battery is fine on the TZ with GPS off as people say. Had a good play the other day with the TZ30 and it keeps impressing me. I think the touch screen and extra zoom are worth it and the LCD is a lot better than my TZ10 which on its own is a great little camera. Might even upgrade that to the TZ30.....

used the hx20 today and i like the image quality, compared to my tz20. my main gripes at the moment are the popup flash, which keeps popping up when im holding the camera, and theres quite a long time between shots when using the superior auto mode.

I think reports of over processing on the Sony is over hyped. I never noticed it and I think the HX20 is a great little camera. I do prefer the IQ and colours on the TZ30 but thats very much a personal opinion. But its wise to try them as much as you can because I found lots of small annoyances with most of the cameras. Its then a case of deciding if you can live with them...compromise.

I still prefer the TZ30 but then I am familiar with the menu system so that probably helps. But the touch screen is nice but its a close call. Both produce sharp bright pictures

IMO it depends on how comfortable you feel holding it as a tie breaker as they are very close. Good luck

I guess to be fair superior auto mode is having to do a fair bit of work if its combining up to 6 images, does it seem quick enough at other times.

I've still got mine sat in the box sealed wondering if I've made the right decision, I should probably just open the damn thing!

Although I'd compared several sample images before I hadn't found anywhere that had identical shots from both cameras until I came across this:

Google Translate

I downloaded the images for the Sony and Panasonic so I could flick back and forth comapring and the Panasonic images really look better for me. Its odd because all the reviews I've seen suggest the opposite...

Its a conundrum and to some degree I suppose it depends on what individuals prefer. I saw that website a few days ago. Its actually Spanish and translated to English.

But I agree that I prefer the TZ30 images as well...mind you I've always preferred Panasonic's colours anyway and there's nothing wrong with the TZ30's renditions

Yeah, I definitely prefer the colours. I also feel the images are just a little crisper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom