tz3, indoor photography

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by waran, Sep 11, 2007.

1. waran

waran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just purchased a TZ3, to take pictures of my new son.
    My question is when taking pictures indoors, with no flash, the picture displayed on the LCD when focusing, is better then the actual picture taken, is this normal?

Are there any recommending setting for taking indoor photos, under incandesent and tube lighting, or do I choose one of the scene mode settings?

2. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    need some more info mate. What pictures are you comparing them to? do you review onscreen? (using wrong settings and are under/over exposing
    review on PC/MAC? (monitor might not be set up well)
    Printing direct? (the best comparison if you take the printer profile as a standard baseline)

if you think the live view looks better than the picture taken (you seem to be saying this) then you most likely are getting camera shake/movement blur or you are underexposing. Try opening the aperture a bit more or getting some more light on your subject. Also play with the white balance if the colours are off

Have a play around with the saturation and contrast settings in the camera to see if that makes any differences.
    Other than that give us some more info... how is it better? too dark? too bright? blury? blown out? out of focus? tell us more and we can try and help

3. waran

waran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The live view is better than the picture taken. The pictures taken are under exposed. The pictures are view on the TZ3 screen.

I shall play with the aperture settings as you had suggested.

Thanks

4. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    yeah do you remember what mode you took the shots on? It might not be the correct one. Have the aperture open as much as possible and if the camera allows (the lx2 does) put the exposure value on +1 or +1.5 and see if that helps a little. The problem is that indoors the camera cant have a long enough exposure to let in enough light while you are hand holding it... if i did it could well be open for a 1/3 of sec which is way too long to hand hold. Theres a few tricks you can try with light, like if you wanted to use the flash some people diffuse the flash with toilet paper or greasproof paper, it can be surprisingly effective if a little silly looking.

Under exposure just means that you need more light but the camera would rather produce a sharp but underexposed picture(which can be corrected after) than a blurry but well exposed picture (which cant really be corrected)

5. waran

waran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the tips, I shall take a few more photos and note down the setting.

But should not the picture viewed be what is taken regardless of other settings?

6. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    No because what happens is that the camera increases the screens brightness so that it looks good on that wee screen. If you were to take a screen grab of the small screen at the resolution the camera outputs the resulting image would be really noisy because of the high gain applied to the screen.

(hope that makes sense!!)

7. waran

waran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I understand

8. R kid

R kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bought a tz3 last week still playing about with took afew pics of my lad thought you may wanna see one. Took it on the intellegent iso from about 2 meters away. Very happy so far with camera took some cracking pics of my tortoise in the garden. Just trying to suss how to upload pics onto the site....doh!!....anyway for now photobucket will have to do!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd166/DKM1973/P1010025.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd166/DKM1973/P1010366.jpg

HOPE YOU LIKE THEM!!

9. waran

waran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice picture of your kid, his features came out really well.

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi Waran

I've had the same experience as you with indoor shots - they seem to underexposed.

I've attached a couple of images here - one from my old Minolta Dimage 7i and the others from the Z3.

1st is in normal mode. 2nd is in night portrait and the 3d in night scenery

On the last i set the ISO to 400.

I'm surprised that the auto setting is so poor. It's almost as if the unit is geared for faster shutter speeds at the expense of the metering. My old Minolta at least gets a good exposure regardless of shutter speed.

Anyone explain why this should be so?

Anyways... i still like it. especially the monster zoom - see final 2 shots :)

Attached Files: