Tyres what mileage do you get out of your fronts?

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know its one of those questions where it cant really be answered due to having different driving styles etc...But im just trying to find out a rough idea what people get,My rears last alot longer than my fronts,im getting about 14 k out of my fronts without doing much motorway miles.

I know its one of those questions where it cant really be answered due to having different driving styles etc...But im just trying to find out a rough idea what people get,My rears last alot longer than my fronts,im getting about 14 k out of my fronts without doing much motorway miles.

If your front wheel drive then the rears will last longer.
The continentals on my RWD car are down too 3mm after 15k miles.

Wish I could sleep easy as the fronts were put on last march im now thinking I should be getting better tyres, the tyres are Goodyear efficient grip.

I did have a brake caliper seize up on me dont know how long it had been like that maybe that didnt help.

And of course the dam pot holes on the road that I have to keep going over to get to work.

Last edited:
If I get around 10k out of my fronts then I am happy!!!!

Front wheel drive cars will go through front tyres quicker than rears. That's just a result of the front tyres doing all the work.
Most front tyre wear is caused by steering angle/tyre scrub.
You can reduce tyre wear by
1. Maintaining correct tyre pressure.
2. Avoiding full lock steering.
3. Avoiding (where possible) high speed cornering.
In reality, unless you're driving around like a prat, you probably won't see much difference.

Will get about 8k miles out of my rears on my RWD :oops:

And about 16k on the fronts.

Under 10k miles from the fronts on a FWD car isn't unknown for me, but probably around 12000 miles now that I pay for them myself...:D

I must be driving Miss Daisy.....

If I don't get at least 20000 out of a set of front tyres(FWD) I would be worried.

Rears something like 25000

I must be driving Miss Daisy.....

If I don't get at least 20000 out of a set of front tyres(FWD) I would be worried.

Rears something like 25000

Depends on conditions, I suppose.
Bear in mind the nearest motorway to me is 90 miles away, so my driving is all A/B roads.
That constant braking/cornering/accelerating hammers tyres.
If I lived in England near a corridor motorway, my tyres would last longer.

Which tyre brand has harder rubber does anyone know between Goodyear&Dunlop ?

Good point, I am in South Bucks right between 2 motorways.

My fronts are about half way worn and have done 15000 miles, including some spirited cross country lane driving; albeit only 10 miles each way to work.

It's worth pointing out here that just because some tyres are softer (and therefore wear out faster) does not necessarily make them 'worse'.
Softer compounds typically grip better.
Harder compounds typically last longer.
On my 'play' cars I tend by fit softer tyres. I like pirellis for eg.
On my work cars I tend to fit harder tyres. I like Michelin eg.

Which tyre brand has harder rubber does anyone know between Goodyear&Dunlop ?

The compound (softness/hardness of the rubber) will vary from one type of tyre to another.
So one brand isn't 'harder' or 'softer' than the other across their entire range.
They may be harder or softer for a specific tyre size, but you haven't given us sizes so we can't comment.

Bear in mind 90%motorway mileage, I got 35k out of each of the last two pairs of fronts on my i40 tourer. At 76k now and still 5mm on the original rears ... Hankook kinergy

The compound (softness/hardness of the rubber) will vary from one type of tyre to another.
So one brand isn't 'harder' or 'softer' than the other across their entire range.
They may be harder or softer for a specific tyre size, but you haven't given us sizes so we can't comment.

I allways thought it was the brand so thanks for that.

My tyre size is: 205/55/ V R16

Will those new fangled self parking cars(where you don't touch the steering wheel) will the front tyres wear out faster.

I allways thought it was the brand so thanks for that.

My tyre size is: 205/55/ V R16

That's not a performance tyre size, so I wouldn't expect ultra-soft compounds to be an issue.
Tyres are banded for things like wet grip now, with 'A' being the best.
Unfortunately, they're not banded for longevity, probably because it isn't a measurable thing (too many variables).

Cheers,Well its now time to think if i should be moving back to my home town where my job is,Only moved back to where my mrs home town because she allways wanted to go back.

I think im doing far to many miles when i dont really need to.

I get about just under 2 years of driving from a set of tyres, so about 15K miles for me!

I fail to see how that would be possible.

I'm guessing he means they might use more turning of the steering wheel than a human would.
Or more wheel turning when the wheels are static, rather than rolling.
Static wheel twirling is hard on tyres, we try and discourage our forklift drivers from doing it.

That's what I was thinking FZR .thanks

On a side note about the self parking cars,once they get you into the tight space, do they unpark themselves?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom