Tyres peeling on the edges?

loz_the_guru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I expect I know the answer to this, but with Christmas coming around would rather hear something different!

Had a look at my tyres today, and one has this odd peeling of the rubber on the outside edge (photo attached).

Do I need to get it replaced ASAP, or will it wait a while?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_103121.jpg
    IMG_20181117_103121.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,862
Interesting, but yeah, you know the answer!

What brand of tyre is it ? how old ? how many miles ? Wondering if its worth contacting the manufacturer to see if they would regard that as a failure and give a partial credit..

Not the answer you want: New Tyre. Christmas might be just round the corner but you need to be sure you make that corner :thumbsup:

Do you have a spare with the same size tyre on it?
If you wanted to save money and you do have a spare then get them swapped over until you can afford a new tyre...if not then it's a new tyre.

Looking at the photo, I would say the reason for this problem is that your tracking is quite a way out, get it checked or the new tyre might end up the same way!

Whats the dot code on the tyre?

Agree that the tyre has failed for a specific reason. If its directional, is it fitted on the correct side?

Do you have a spare with the same size tyre on it?
If you wanted to save money and you do have a spare then get them swapped over until you can afford a new tyre...if not then it's a new tyre.

Looking at the photo, I would say the reason for this problem is that your tracking is quite a way out, get it checked or the new tyre might end up the same way!

Thanks, I'll order some from black circles and ask about the tracking when I get them fitted.

Whats the dot code on the tyre?

Not sure - how would I find out?

Agree that the tyre has failed for a specific reason. If its directional, is it fitted on the correct side?

Again I'm not sure of this but it's definitely odd I agree. I bought it the car with tyre fitted around 18 months ago, so it's obviously something which has happened over time. I'm a bit surprised I didn't notice sooner as it looks pretty bad in the flesh.

The tyre appears to have a rotation arrow. Make sure this is correct, as if it's fitted the wrong way it will damage the tread.

Once a tyre starts to fail, it gets a lot worse very quickly, as the tyre becomes unbalanced and starts to vibrate.

I would suggest however that the damage to yours is due to either excessive movement in the suspension or a failing shock absorber, as tracking would not rip up the tread in that way. When you get the tyre changed, ask them to check for play in the suspension and that the shock absorber is still good.

The tyre sidewall will say DOT and a 4 digit number, this number relates to the week and year the tyre was manufactured. Tyres have roughly a 6-7 year shelf life.

Thanks noiseboy, i'll ring my garage tomorrow and see if I can get them to fit the tyres and check the suspension/tracking at the same time.

thanks also un1eash, will take a look later and report findings.

The tyre appears to have a rotation arrow. Make sure this is correct, as if it's fitted the wrong way it will damage the tread.

Once a tyre starts to fail, it gets a lot worse very quickly, as the tyre becomes unbalanced and starts to vibrate.

I would suggest however that the damage to yours is due to either excessive movement in the suspension or a failing shock absorber, as tracking would not rip up the tread in that way. When you get the tyre changed, ask them to check for play in the suspension and that the shock absorber is still good.

Tracking would definitely rip up a tyre in this way if the tracking is out, the wheel (tyre) could be pointing to one side causing the tyre to "scrub."
A shock absorber fault would show up as bare patches on the main part of the tread as the suspension would be "bouncing" the wheel and causing irregular contact with the road.
I agree that the suspension should be checked as checking the tracking with a worn track rod end, ball joint, or bush would be completely pointless.

Thanks for all the advice, booking it in shortly and cycling to work currently despite freezing temperatures!

One quick question - there's a very handy Halfords autocentre nearby, as in literally two minutes down the road. I know there are horror stories with these types of places (Kwik Fit etc) - would they be okay to do something fairly straight forward like tracking though? They've got the tyres I was looking at for the same price as Black Circles, and will align the wheels for £30 at the same time which would make things easier than taking to my garage afterwards....

Budget tyres, not a brand i've heard of but can't remember of the top of my head.

There is a direction marker in the middle of the picture and I think you're onto something, it looks like a rear wheel arch.

There is a direction marker in the middle of the picture and I think you're onto something, it looks like a rear wheel arch.

Sorry meant to say earlier, on in the correct way, front wheel arch.

Any opinions on Halfords for tracking? Not sure how complicated a job it is...

Also, do I need 2 or 4 wheel tracking?

Just to add to the mystery, the same problem appears to be effecting both the inside and outside edges.

Any further ideas? From my limited knowledge I thought that tracking issues usually affected one edge, rather than both...

Dot code?

Tracking would often show up on one edge. It could have other alignment problems. Tracking is just front toe.

Dot code?

I did look for this but couldn't find anything similar. I've attached photos of all the markings I can see? Sorry for the poor quality of the last one.

Any good? The tyre brand is a Fulda, which a quick google suggests is not quite as cheap as I originally presumed. The other tyre is much worse in terms of wear - probably around 3-4mm left. Could this, or under inflation be the cause? They're also very clearly marked as winter tyres...

I also noticed as I looked that there's some flaking of the tread in the central portion of the tyre too. Not as bad, and difficult to take a photo of, but definitely present. I've spent a long time looking at photos of tyres on google images tonight, and haven't spotted anything similar. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_203042.jpg
    IMG_20181120_203042.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,280
  • IMG_20181120_203031.jpg
    IMG_20181120_203031.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_20181120_203025.jpg
    IMG_20181120_203025.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,633
Wear to both edges of the tyre can suggest under inflation.

Looks like this lot are about 1/4 mile from Halfords. If nothing else, it'd be worth getting a price from them Get Tyres in Bath | Servicing & Tyre fittings | Protyre

As the car is unknown having the tracking checked won't hurt. 2 or 4 depends on the car, what is it.

Thanks, i've used those guys before and they were fine just for getting tyres fitted. Black circles also use them as a fitter if required, but i'm not overly fussed at this stage at paying £10-20 extra - i'd just rather have it sorted properly.

Car is a 2010 Mk6 VW Golf, 1.4 Tsi.

^^pic 2 above shows the date code 3013 - so that tyre was made in the 30th week of 2013.

Polo would only need 2 wheel tracking I would think.

The suggestion to use protyre was purely based on Halfords reputation.. maybe unfair but protyre are a dedicated tyre shop. Maybe unfairly I'd have more confidence in them sorting it "properly" than halfords.

If possible I'd find a local independent who are known for good service..

The problem you have is because the tyres are made for winter use. If you have been using them in temps above 7 degrees, they will shred pretty rapidly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom