Tyre tread depth?

bluevortex

Does anybody know what depth tread you would expect on a new tyre?
I am looking at a set of pirelli tyres that both have 5-6mm left on them. Are these worth looking at, how many miles would i expect to get out of them?

Blue

bluevortex

Actually the tyres are already on alloy wheels. Its really the alloys im after. They are virtually brand new, the seller has replaced with after market wheels so they are surplus. He stated 5-6mm left on both tyres - i was just wondering what depth you would expect on a brand new pirelli P7000 - 8mm sounds about right.

Blue

Mylo

Novice Member
Make sure to get a pic or examine them before agreeing a deal, if possible. 5mm tread in the middle is all well and good but if the edges are scrubbed you will soon be in trouble.

riget

Banned
sean5302 said:
This normally allows tracking defect wear within the outside or inside of the tread, to 25% of the width of the tyre.
That's not correct, it's only 12.5% of the width of the tyre can be below 1.6mm on the outside and inside edge.

riget

Banned
sean5302 said:
Why?

MotUK
Is the why? for failing a mot test, if so then NWhiteley answered that.
If it's for being charged then I would expect the law to be based on the mot test.

NWhiteley

ok, so are you saying that the government training/evaluation schemes, my current employers and previous employers and my college tutors are not/ have not given me, and all other MOT testers the correct info?

riget

Banned
I'm just a mechanic, and all I did was correct your statement about the mot requirements for tyres, but instead of acknowledging it you set about turning it around with the law and degrees.(you sure your not a lawer as well)?

NWhiteley

riget said:
but instead of acknowledging it you set about turning it around with the law and degrees.(you sure your not a lawer as well)?
that is the reason i declined to reply to his post. i didnt want to get into an argument, as its obvious that he knows more about my job, of 15 years, than i do. ;)

G

golfvr6

The mot testers manual states that there must be 1.6mm minimum tread across the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread.

www.motuk.co.uk

Even an unqualified person like myself can understand that, you would think an engineer would know better! :D

Mylo

Novice Member
I'm sure Yokohama still make a perfectly road legal tyre that has a drilled outer edge rather than a grooved tread pattern. Years ago I read an article where someone had been pulled over as the police did not believe the tyres were roadworthy.

bluevortex

I bought the alloys with the pirelli tyres. Time will tell how good the tyres are - Should arrive next week. I paid a little over the odds but got two mint condition 17" peugeot alloys for my 206 Gti 180

i have bad damage to two exisiting wheels - anybody know if you can get them refurbed??

Blue :confused:

Mylo

Novice Member
If it's cosmetic damage then they should be rufurbishable. However if they are buckled I believe there is not a lot that can be done to save them :(

chriszzzzzz

£50 a Wheel seems to be the going rate for the refurb stations around our way...Hope that helps..:)