Tyre speed rating

sevenxl77

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just order 2 new front tyres. The speed rating on them is 'W'. The back tyres currently on my car are 'Y'.
Does this matter or should I change the order? I ordered through Black Circles and (didn't realise at the time) the ones I've ordered are £20.00 cheaper.
Don't mind reordering at the higher price but will it make a difference?

Thanks

168mph vs 186mph but I doubt you'll be doing such speeds.

Thing is though if you did have an accident and a sharp eyed insurance assessor clocks them...

For the sake of £20 I'd just change the order.

So is it a legal requirement to have exactly the same tyres on all 4 corners?

I think the load rating is more cause for concern and should be the same all round.

Honestly not sure. Had a look here: The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 and got this.

The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

And

Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

I read the above as long as the tyres meet both points you're legal?

Most insurers would likely see it as a mod though, so would need informing.

What car is it?

Top rated speed of the 225 is 147mph so the tyres you've ordered will be fine as long as they are going on the same axle.

You could have 4 different tyres with 4 different speed / load ratings and it would still be legal if they meet the cars minimum spec.

You could have 4 different tyres with 4 different speed / load ratings and it would still be legal if they meet the cars minimum spec.
Good to know. Still might change them but as it's only the speed rating and I drive like a granny most of the time I don't think it matters.

Inside the driver's door, jamb there will be a sticker telling you the tyre requirements.

If the statement above about 147mph being the top speed is correct, then you only need a V rated tyre (which covers all vehicles with top speeds up to 149mph).

You are, of course, allowed to use winter tyres which typically have much lower speed ratings but it is always sensible to check with your insurer first.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom