Tyre Recommendation

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by joust, Mar 11, 2006.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I need to replace all 4 tyres on my 53 plate 130TDCi LX mondeo. Have the standard 16" rims, so 205/55/16 sizes. Have had the Conti premium contact tyres on for the 68k that I have done (1st set for 36k) but the replacement costs this time are a bit high for me. I currently run about 30k per year, and am looking for good wear with good wet weather grip. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Cheers

Joust

2. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    All depends on your budget to be honest mate , i always go for a cheaper brand as i have to shell out for 17" tyres all the time as the car is lowered so the tread tends to wear on the inside of the tyre rather fast, but saying that they are good . Ive just had two new tyres on the front, which are made by a company linked to continental and paid £70 each.The tread depth is very deep and they feel spot on.

If money is no object then from what friends have told me the pirelli p6000's are always a good bet, as well as the yokohama a520's but you'll get people slagging off every brand of tyre all day long!

I'm thinking (although i may be wrong) that you may pay slightly more for a 16" tyre as theyre not as common as 15" and 17"

All in my opinion of course :thumbsup:

Jon

3. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
  4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,284
    Another recommendation for mytyres...Haven't bought tyres from another place in the last 3 years....Very good prices, although shipping from Germany (for me...) still only takes two days to arrive....My local backstreet garage fits for £5 per corner including valve and balancing....

5. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys so far, however, I'm really looking for specific tyre recommendations. I have found all of the websites and am looking round. Budget wise, if I could get all 4 for under £250 I'd be really happy:thumbsup:

Cheers

Joust

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I'm a big fan of the Toyo Proxes, Black cricles do a set of four (Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/55 R16 W) for £238 delivered. When I got mine I went to a local independent and they managed to undercut them, so it's worth shopping around locally, just don't bother with the big chains.

Black circles also have the Continental premiums for £269 delivered.

7. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    don't even think about tyre wear, you may as well get the best tyres you can afford, it's your life (and that of your family)

one suggestion just under your budget, and one just over but they will last longer, could even mix and match my two suggestions front and rear (either put the longer lasting ones on the front, so they last about the same time, or the longer lasting ones on the rear and replace the fronts more often)

On mytyres, you have two tyres in your size that come recommended, the fantastic (but soft) Toyo Proxes T1-R at £58.50 each, or my personal tyre of choice every single time one wears out, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3, at £71.50 each and worth every penny imho, there's no point mucking about, these are absolutely fantastic tyres even on cars with twice the power or more than your motor, I wouldn't have anything else now they are so predictable and grippy.

8. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi SeanT/Miniholic,

Thanks for the replys. One question about the Goodyear and the Toyo's, what sort of mileage have you got out of them? As I say, I do about 30K a year, mainly motorway miles, so tyre wear is important (as well as grip). I had Goodyear F1's on a Volvo 850 T5 some years ago (1999) - fantastic tyre, almost as much grip in the wet as the dry!!! However, on the T5 they were only good for about 14K :( Are the newer GSD-3's any longer lasting? Are the Toyo's similar? I have to say I'm tempted (particularly by the Toyo's) and can get them for approx £67.50 fitted (www.tyretraders.com). Another tyre that has been suggested is the Avon ZZ3, any ideas on this one?

Cheers

Joust

9. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    The GSD-3s last me longer than any budget tyre has, and your mondy hardly has the power the T5 had to beast a set in 14k.

On a 4wd car with 230 BHP and almost the same torque (without a turbo) a set lasts me around 20k, on your motor expect the rears to last a couple of years but the fronts to be at between 12 and 18 month intervals. The new Goodyears are actually better than the old ones you had in 99, unbelievable as it sounds, and like I said, it's your NCB / insurance premium / life / family's life.

After a set of Fulda Carat Extremos didn't last me too long and nearly gave me whiplash in the dry, I just see it as another price tag on putting the boot down :)

10. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have to say the T5 was a complete hoot, a 20 mile journey to work over country lanes, all completed in 30 minutes :D :D :D It's no wonder the tyres only lasted 14K :eek: (it was particularly painful at the time as the tyres were £150 a corner :eek: :eek: :eek: )

As for my current drive, fuel economy is the order of the day. Regarding replacement I always rotate my tyres from front to rear regularly so I always replace all 4 (had previous bad experiences with, so always change all 4 and all to the same brand/tyre).

Cheers

Joust

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Goodyear GSD-3's are a great tyre, a little more expensive, but immense grip, especially in the wet. I did however find that once they start to wear, they go off extremely quickly. AFAIK the GSD-3's are for low profile only (I had them on my last car).

I have Goodyear Eagle fronts on mine at the moment and they are also good, especially in the wet. They seem to be wearing pretty well, and the only downside is that it hits the fuel economy a bit more than the Michelins I had on before.

It was a toss up between the Goodyear and the Conti's for me this time. Had the Michelin's before and they were pants for anything other than fuel economy, and their wet performance was frankly frightening.

You might want to try calling Bracknell Tyres - they are local to me which is handy, but I do know many people who travel some distance to get supplied/fitted there, as they are normally signigicantly cheaper than anywhere else. You might have to queue for a while though -they are very popular.

12. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Couldn't agree more. :smashin:

I have tried Goodyears, Firestones, Dunlops (NEVER again...), Continentals and "Runway" cheapies, and i don't think you can get better value for money than Michelins.

I personally have found them to be quieter, grippiuer and longer lasting than any other make i've tried.

Also, 2 final thoughts - firstly, on my first car ( a 1.2 Nova), the offside rear tyre was a Michelin XZX and was the original one from when the car was new after 11 years and 68,000 miles! :eek: It was also still legal, tread-wise but the sidewall was in prety bad shape so i replaced as a precautionary measure!

Secondly, a chap i used to work with was previously a foreman at a plant that produced rubber for tyre manufacturers all over Europe. He told me that the golden rule there was that the best batches ALWAYS went to Michelin and the other manufacturers got the rest............

13. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Down to personal preference I know but I've always found the Directional patterned Avon ZZ3 range unbeatable for wet weather grip. mileage isn't too bad either, last set of fronts lasted me about 25k

Generally priced somewhere in the middle of the Cheapo non grip plastic tyres and the overpriced Michelin's! and National tyres often have them on offer in pairs.

Tried P6000, Michelin's and Yoki's but haven't found anything to match the Avon's for outright grip.

I usually pay about £160-170 for a pair of 205/50/16 Avon ZZ3's.

Oh, think yourself lucky your not buying Big motorbike tyres...I pay £130 for a rear tyre for my Bike and it last 1200-1500miles !!!

Think

14. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    On which car were these?

Cheers

Joust

15. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    had a set on my last car a Primera 2.0 SRI and only last week i had a pair put on my current Primera 2.0 Sport+

Have used Avon's for years now (Predecessor to the ZZ3 the Avon ZV1), in fact on my last few cars I've had with other tyres on I've been half glad when they needed new tyres so I could change them for Avon's.

On some cars they do seem to increase road noise slightly but I can forgive this for the extra feel and grip.