Tyre prices and brands.

GrumpyOldGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The two front tyres on my focus are nearing the legal limit, it's currently on continental premium contact 2 so I called my local national tyres and agreed a price of £163 for two more continental tyres in 205/55/16, great until I noticed they were actually 215/55/16 and the price shot up to over £250!

Now I'm in a predicament where I need tyres but don't want to spend a fortune even though I want a premium brand, the cheapest "premium" tyre I've found are Falken Ziex 914 on amazon for £140 unfitted but until there on the car who knows how noisey they are then it's to late to change your mind.

Another option is to go for part worn at £50 a tyre.

Any advice here?

Last edited:
Don't scrimp on part worn tyres or no-name rubbish. A mate of mine bought a 330d that came with cheap tyres and he replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport within a couple of weeks as he nearly ditched his car a couple of times. I did warn him when he picked the car up. I've always went for the best tyres available as it's the only part of the car that touches the road. I have always gone with the oem tyre that came with the car when replacing them but for the (many) times that I bought alloys, I had good experience with Bridgestone but I had Toyos a couple of times and couldn't fault them. They were brilliant tyres for the money.

Depends on the kind of driving you do and how you want the car to feel. On ny admittedly low power but "hot" mini hatch (Fiat Panda 100hp) I've recently gone for uniroyal rainsport 3s all round, 195/55/15 so a smaller tyre and online you can get then for about £35 each corner. Slightly larger profile than standard but oh boy is the wet grip good. Good enough in the dry and supreme in the wet.

I'd recommend Falkens and Toyos as good alternatives to the premium brands. Definitely don't bother with part worn tyres, seriously where's the sense in that for the sake of a few quid?

Rainsport 3's , £85 a corner from camskill plus fitting.

Sorry boys but after using my mates tyre depth gauge one was actually illegal, I did end up going part worn, got two nearly new Falken tyres for £80 fitted, quite a saving really.

Not bad price if nearly new

I crapped myself on Friday night, aquaplaning at 70mph on the empty M65 westbound. Talk about bricking-it......read flashing traction control lights, sheer panic and a firm grip of the steering wheel as the car wiggled it's way through.

Continental Contact Sport 3 18".....worth every penny the car was in more control than I was, thankfully.

I never look for budget when I consider tyres, that's all that keeps you in touch with road. There are good enough deals on less premium brands like rainsports, but I would never buy part worn. Best of luck with them

To be honest on my old mondeo all I ever bought were part worns and never had an issue, Dunlop, Michelin, Goodyear all for £40 a tyre nearly new, the only reason I wanted new tyres was because this is a pretty new car with 20,000 miles on it but I'm not paying £250 for two!

I never look for budget when I consider tyres, that's all that keeps you in touch with road. There are good enough deals on less premium brands like rainsports, but I would never buy part worn. Best of luck with them

But unless you literally fitted your tyres this second, you're driving around on part worns now.:laugh:
Do you notice any problem with your part-worn tyres right now?
If not, then I don't see why you'd have a problem buying them.

Falken are a good brand, I had them on my Alpina as they were significantly cheaper than the OE Michelin Pilots (£136 for 265/35/19 rears as opposed to double that for Michelin)
They were better in the wet too, a lot less wheelspin.

But unless you literally fitted your tyres this second, you're driving around on part worns now.:laugh:
Do you notice any problem with your part-worn tyres right now?
If not, then I don't see why you'd have a problem buying them.

Falken are a good brand, I had them on my Alpina as they were significantly cheaper than the OE Michelin Pilots (£136 for 265/35/19 rears as opposed to double that for Michelin)
They were better in the wet too, a lot less wheelspin.
Tyres last five minutes now, why would I then buy part worn? I prefer new, I'll pay the excess and feel confident that the grip in dry and wet is there when I need it ;) and for the record are part works available with 859 miles on only?

and for the record are part works available with 859 miles on only?

Yes, of course, all sorts of mileages are available.
Someone might only have fitted new tyres 100 miles ago, then someone rams into the back of them.
Car is written off, tyres become available for sale.

my problem with part worns isn't the tread depth, it's the cure date.

Always buy good tyres. If OP still going to buy at National I think I have a 25 % off voucher at home. Valid until August maybe. I will look and send to you if you want. Paid £660 for 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 2 235 45 18 XL. Worth every penny for 20000 odd miles.

Yes if I read the thread I would have seen he bought already. Anyone else buying and want the voucher?

Yes, of course, all sorts of mileages are available.
Someone might only have fitted new tyres 100 miles ago, then someone rams into the back of them.
Car is written off, tyres become available for sale.
You can by any part worn but there is a question mark on mileage? You could guess but all brands are different therefore you could save on each corner, or equally you could end up with a set of tyres that last only a few thousand miles. Fir the pennies saved I'll buy new, why would I pay over 20K for a fairly fast car, then look to save pennies on tyres. Never I'll pay the extra, as I also like a tyre that looks new and has a good tread. I've even been known to change tyres long before they get to the legal limit!! Each to thier own ;)

So the vouchers end September.

BOGOF budget tyres
25% off premium tyres
MOT £27 (on back of tyre vouchers)
Various 20% etc off suspension or exhausts

No I have no links to National centres.

PM me big truck and I will post to you

Put a quid in a charity box next time you see one.

God is watching.

Through your Kinect.

It's only a focus, any old tyres will do ;)

mrw-i-have-to-be-nice-and-polite-to-a-rude-customer-13660.gif

Vouchers posted to @bigtruck.

When I used a different set last year they didn't even take them off me so use them and pass to a mate I guess.

Let us know what you buy and how much.

Don't forget the charity box.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom