Typical...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pointon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If it does happen, which I doubt, it will be bloody typical.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

Let's not panic (even though I'm breathing and sweating rather heavily at this point :()....Even if it does happen, there will always be someone willing to "sort you out" when your current multiregion player dies a death..... if not, we'll all have to buy a R1 player, a R2 player and a R4 player... it will be expensive, but better than never seeing your R1s and R4s again :(

What is the big deal with these ****ing movie studios and the DVD Forum? It's not like we're buying bootleg copies - they're legit disks - it means more money for them for ****'s sake :mad: When will they just see sense :(

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    i would suggest trying to organise a boycott of buying ANY DVDs for a month or something, but i don't think that i would be able to resist!:D :mad:

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... I certainly hope it doesn't go through since after all we are buying original DVDs from retailers and not blatent copies which is of course perfectly legal. By buying original DVD films we are contributing to the overall commercai profit of the given firm, and not taking money away like bootlegs do.

If they were to stop importing like this then they would have to do this for every electronical or mechanical piece made in euorpe and that in itself would cause a huge outroar. Plus if they extended the law so we cannot import full stop, then its taking things way too far. I say extend since as Squirrel God as said, we would import R1 DVD players to play our legal DVDs and if they stop us doing that, then it would have a much larger consequence on other things than just playing DVDs.

I'm sure they won't go that far, but then I hope they don't make multi-region DVD players illegal as well.

That alone would be a serious mistake. Less competition means bad news for consumers. In the UK we are already paying more for many of our products and with this new law, we can expect even higher prices. If there is an online petition about this going on, then point me to it, since I'll vote against it for sure.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This article seems to surface once every few months...Remember the UK isn't the only place where DVD mods are performed - mainland europe, australia, in fact every place that isn't R1, due to the inane requirement to wait 6 months for a typically more expensive and less featured version of a film.

Besides, the incoherent article goes on to say the main law if it ever arrives will be to do with protecting the copyright of digital data, and preventing illegal copies, bootlegs e.t.c. That's a different story completely to buying a R1 DVD legitimately from a bona fide corporation in another country.

Methinks the point of the article was to get hits for a dour story, I think they stole the r-gister's thunder on that point :)

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's nothing to do with the studios or distributors though. It's an EU law thing... About time the UK got where it belonged, as a fully fledged state of the USA. It would be crap, but at least we wouldn't be living a lie, and things would be cheaper. Including guns.

Any chance to have a pop at the US... ;)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but I'm a skeptic. I firmly believe its only an EU law thing because of pressure from the studios/distributors. ;)