Typical - My TV hates my Oppo...

bigfatsi

Standard Member
Reaction score
After waiting over a week for my new Oppo DVD player, it turns out my TV is incompatible with the bloody thing. I've got a Hyundai HPTD4201S which accepts 1280*720 from my PC so I assumed it would accept the upscaled signal from the Oppo. But no. For some reason my TV only sees the DVI in as a PC signal and displays it at that resolution. So when I turn it on I get 640*480 which looks crap. 520P starts halfway up the screen, 720P loses the bottom 3" of the screen and is covered in red dots and I haven't even bothered watching 1080i. Also when I try and watch a PAL disc with the TV set to PAL or AUTO it plays it half-off the left hand side! :mad:

Seems a bit queer that my TV accepts 1280*720 from the PC but not from the Oppo. I'm not missing something daft am I?

I thought the 4201S was natively standard definition (852x480 in this case) whereas the variants ending in HR are the high def Hyundais? So if you send it a high def signal like 720, the plasma is having to downscale it anyway. The best picture should be a 480p signal from the Oppo. In what way does it look "crap"?

You might email Oppo and ask for their view.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

In 480 the picture is grainy and not a patch on my Tosh 240E. I've been running my PC through the TV for months now in 1280*768 and whilst, from what I can gather, the TV is downscaling it to fit the 852*480 resolution, it still looks a million times better than my Tosh. I've just tried my PC with a resolution of 1280*720 and it displays just fine. So what I can't understand is the difference between a 1280*720 digital PC signal and a 1280*720 digital signal from the Oppo. I've emailed Oppo but in all fairness it's probably down to the low spec TV. Anybody wanna buy a 2 hr old Oppo?!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom