Typical Decided But No Stock!!!

RyanK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have finally decided and am now ready to buy the Panasonic TX32LXD500 but Currys now have NO stock :( :censored: :rtfm: :thumbsdow :mad:

Ryan,

I ordered a 500 last night too. Jumped thru all of Curry's hoops and at the end got an email confirming the order, but stating that it was subject to *checking* stock. Then this morning, sure enough, an email comes thru telling me my order had been cancelled. Gutted. :(

it`s doing my head in. after weeks of reading reviews, magazine articles and 100`s of posts on here i finally decide and arghhhhhhhhhhh.

My order got cancelled twice.

Went into a local currys store with a printout of the internet offer, they agreed to match it but had no stock, offered me the display model which was covered in fingerprints. I said thanks but no thanks.

In the end gave up & bought the Sony KDL-V32A12U & the 710 DVD Recorder with a 3 Year Warranty, 2 years interest free credit & £100 cashback

Currys Website :thumbsdow

I ordered a JVC LT32DS6BJ 32"LCD from Currys last night, good deal at about £920 with free delivery, 100 off voucher and 5% egg cashback but email today:- "sorry out of stock". However they have them on display in several local stores. I have to wonder why Currys put these items with competive prices on the website. Is it just to make people go into the shop and pay full price. I will certainly not be doing this but I may go into the store and try to get a similar deal. I don't hold out much hope though !

This TV is a nightmare to get hold of at the minute, just because Curry's, Comet or any other stores have them on Display doesn't mean that they have Free Available Stock of this item. At the end of the day it's down to Panasonic, what about the 42LXD52 or the JVC 42DS6. There's going to be a delay on this TV (42LXD500) until middle of October...

I also went into Curry's today...they said they will match their website price...but unlikely to take off the extra £100 voucher :(

CarollP can you definately combine the 5% egg cashback with the £100 Voucher?

Thanks...Dave

DaveAnderson said:
I also went into Curry's today...they said they will match their website price...but unlikely to take off the extra £100 voucher :(

Thanks...Dave

Hi Dave,

I can't be sure as it didn't go through but I don't see why not. The Egg cashback is paid back to your c-card by egg a month or so later, who obviously get it back off the vendor. Normally in these companies the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing so these things slip through.
I will try a few local stores and see what I can get out of them. I did hear of someone else on here who was offered the web price and the £100 off voucher for a different TV but they said it was out of stock everywhere. The trick is to establish if they have the TV in stock before you negotiate the price, then they can't wriggle out by saying they don't have any. I will keep you posted.

Pete

DaveAnderson said:

Thanks...Dave

I was looking for the LE40R51B at currys only because Ihad the promotional codes for £100 off and free delivery ( £49.99 ) but they are not stocking it anymore, I went into store and was told that after checking their warehouse computer that they generally get stock to honour customer orders, they do not get very much extra stock for the warehouse.
Thats why a lot of items are always unavailable.

If the postcode stock availability says a product is out out of stock and will not let you order, then the store can still place an order, my branch would have taken the £100 off but then there was no stock!

But I would have only gone with currys if I got the money off because there system is shockingly awful.

I got mine from 121electricals £1560 inc delivery next day but its sat in the box in the lounge because my wifes pregnant and ive had surgery so neither of us can lift!! :(

Why bother with the 500 when the new 52 does the job just as well and costs less. If I was looking for a 32" I wouldn't give the 500 a second look now there is the alternative - I also prefer the look of the 52 series.

I ordered the 500 on Saturday from Apollo 2000 in Preston. I got them down to £1485. They then phoned Panasonic and it arrived today! Having now set it up I have to say I'm over the moon with it.
What a fantastic picture even with the built in Freeview tuner!
This is one classy set.

Ok Long story coming up, bear with me.

I called the Currys telesales today to see if there was an alternative to the JVC. They said they had discontinued the JVC, they had no stock of the Panny500 but they might be getting more in, They had a couple of Sony V32s but he said I would probably not get one even if I ordered it as there was so little stock. I agreed to call back next week to see if there was any more information on the Panny 500.
On the way home I called into the biggest Currys in Belfast. They had both the Panny500 (£1700) and JVC (£1400) on display. I asked the assistant about availability so he checked the computer. He confirmed that the JVC was discontinued except for the display model, There was no Panny500s but it was not discontinued. I asked about the Sony V32 and he said there were 2 in the warehouse for £1800 and I could have one delivered on Monday. They do not keep the TVs in the stores. I then showed him the Currys web prices and the £100 discount. He said he would match the web price but not the £100 discount. I said ok then I would just get it on the web so he went to talk to the Manager. He came back and said ok they would do the Sony for £1399 as it made no difference to them. I wonder if the poor suckers who pay full shop prices would agree ?

Now at this point I had to consider a couple of things.
1. I really wanted the Panasonic over the Sony as it is a bit cheaper for similar performance and has the VGA input etc.
2. If I buy over the web I can use my Egg card and get a further cashback.

I thanked him and told him I would think about it and if I had no joy with the Panny500 next week I might consider the Sony. (but I will probably buy it online and take my chances to start with anyway) I think that the shops get order priority over the web at the end of each day so if you order a low stock item and someone buys the same item in the store they will get it and you will get an out of stock email.

So when I got home I ordered an Egg money card which gives 10% cashback and will now wait a couple of weeks until that arrives before going on the hunt again. I am in no real rush to get one and am prepared to wait until I get the best deal. The problem at the moment seems to be supply so hopefully things will improve after Xmas.

Will report back if I am successful. Thanks
Pete

Same here, i tried to buy a Sharp p50e in currys on monday, got them to match net price and i would be paying 500pound of the 847 with currys vouchers, but again no stock! the salesman gave me a number to call as he was getting some in thursday. I called Thursday and got through to the manager and told him the situation. he said he had none in store but one in the warehouse (in southampton) and if i went into the store (poole) and paid for it he would order it in. He would not order it in first!

Is there anyone on here that works for Currys? does anyone know anyone high up in Currys UK, get them to read this site and see what state their customer service is in.

P.S. No i did not buy the set.

Hi, first post here.

Just some quick advice about dixons group stores (pc world, currys, dixons, the link) always expect poor customer service and poor stock availablity. Prices for there lcd's are very high, trade price for samsung le32r41bd is £830 , dixons price for 51bd model is £1100.....

Best place to find advice and prices is always on avforum.

gatty-jr-jr said:
Hi, first post here.

Just some quick advice about dixons group stores (pc world, currys, dixons, the link) always expect poor customer service and poor stock availablity. Prices for there lcd's are very high, trade price for samsung le32r41bd is £830 , dixons price for 51bd model is £1100.....

Best place to find advice and prices is always on avforum.

The trade price for the samsung must be less than that surely? i can get the BDX version for £830, and thats from a physical retailer.

currys just replied to my e-mail and say they have no dates for when they will receive more stock of the 500. may have to take a risk with empiredirect.co.uk

Ryan,

Finally taking the plunge and getting the LXD500 = you will not be disappointed. One of my mates recently bought his Pioneer 436XDE Plasma from EmpireDirect - noone else had any in stock, they did, and delivered safely within 2 days. Post some piccies when you have it all delivered and set up.

carrollp said:
...They said they had discontinued the JVC,...

...He confirmed that the JVC was discontinued except for the display model,...

They're telling porkies about the JVC. It most certainly isn't discontinued. Stock is in short supply beacause it's been so popular, but it will continue until early 2006 at least.

John Lewis store near me and the Panasonic store had about 20 of the panasonic 500 in sotck.

woodywizz said:
Ryan,

Finally taking the plunge and getting the LXD500 = you will not be disappointed. One of my mates recently bought his Pioneer 436XDE Plasma from EmpireDirect - noone else had any in stock, they did, and delivered safely within 2 days. Post some piccies when you have it all delivered and set up.

i`ll get it from soundandvision if they will price match empires price.

GaryB said:
They're telling porkies about the JVC. It most certainly isn't discontinued. Stock is in short supply beacause it's been so popular, but it will continue until early 2006 at least.

they are very telling porkies. Some currys stores still have the old JVCs in, as they DS range haven't fully rolled out yet, its so new.

Ordered my 500 from Curry's in Lakeside last Sunday (2nd October).

They had the price at £1750 instore, I said I realise that instore prices are always a bit higher, but the online price was £1327 which is a ridiculous difference. Anyway, he offered to match it but said they had no stock. I decided to place the order in the end as this price seems to be around £200 cheaper than anyone else advertising.

Their computer was showing 5 other orders waiting for stock already (assume that's just that branch?) and they wouldn't give a delivery date, but sugested 2-4 weeks. Only 1 week so far, so we shall see.

Also, noticed that their website price has gone up £100 in the last week...

Anyone know of any suppliers that have these in stock for somewhere near these prices?

For anyone that's thinking of buying one, many LCDs will be in short supply for the next few months. The demand for them has rocketed ahead of even the most optimistic of forecasts and the panel suppliers simply can't make enough of them at the moment. I work for a manufacturer and we are in the extremely annoying position of having hundreds of orders we just can't fill because of the shortage of panels.

richard plumb said:
they are very telling porkies. Some currys stores still have the old JVCs in, as they DS range haven't fully rolled out yet, its so new.

I noticed that Currys have dropped the price on the JVC LT32DS6BJ to £998.14 on the website. Still coming up as no stock though so pretty useless.
When I was in they said they had plenty of low end Philips and other makes. I wonder if they make more profit on these and considering that the average punter walking into a Currys has little technical knowledge they find it easy to sell it to them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom