Type of cable required please

Merton69

Novice Member
Hello All.

New here, so please can anyone help me in how I can set up my MacBook Pro to stream a film, sports etc to my television?

My TV is an old Panasonic that doesn't have any up to date connection ports.

But I do have a DVD player/recorder that is connected to the TV (Scart) that has a DV in port at the front.

My MacBook Pro has the Mini Display port available as well as others.

So will I need a Mini display port cable to DV in cable?

Are these available, if not, what cable is needed allowing me to connect my MacBook through the DVD player and into the TV please?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which Panasonic TV do you have and what do you do for audio (TV speakers or a separate amp)?

Which MacBook Pro do you have?

Joe

Merton69

Novice Member
Hi Joe, thanks for replying.

My Panasonic TV is a Quintrix. I have included an image taken from online.
It's a super TV that still works brilliantly, so the speakers do the job.

The MacBook Pro is a 13" 2010.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 21.23.33.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 21.23.33.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 13

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Need the model number - it’ll be on a sticker/panel on the rear of the TV.

Merton69

Novice Member
Here you go.

Thanks for your help in this matter!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 00.54.35.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 00.54.35.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 12

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You will require a MiniDP to YUV (Component Video) active converter or MiniDP to VGA active converter plus a VGA to YUV active converter.

It may be simpler to look at a legacy network streamer with YUV Out!

Joe

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
It's going to be a bit of a hit or miss getting this to work as the TV is to old to be truthful and what you are trying to do is fit a load of round plugs into a square socket which isn't something that really happens

So, on page 33 of your TV manual, you will see something called component AV2-IN or AV4-IN on the rear of the TV. These are important as you will need to use either AV2-IN or AV4-IN

From the MacBook as you have rightly identified Display Port to HDMI which will plug into the MacBook. From there, you will need something to convert the signal from digital to analogue (which will have HDCP). No I know Joe has some gizmo's which are great at extracting parts (so he will be better suited to this than me). But after that, you will need to convert the video and audio so the TV can see the information which will require something like this (Again, Joe may have the right product for your needs) HDMI down sampler to component video and stereo analogue sound which will then require you to also purchase some component cables plus a set of RCA stereo cables to plug into AV2-IN or AV4 IN. From here, you will need to select the correct source on your remote control which simply require you to press the AV button until you see which ever input you chose. Do note that in order to view normal TV, you may need to press the AV button again to return to your previous input

This will be the order of how things need to be plugged in (if it works which I cannot give any guarantee)

MacBook ---> Mini Display Port to HDMI Cable ---> HDCP Box With Component and audio out---> Component Cables and Stereo RCA --->TV AV*-IN

MacBook ---> Mini Display Port to HDMI Cable ---> HDCP ---> HDMI Down sampler to Component and stereo analogue audio ---> Component Cables and Stereo RCA --->TV AV*-IN

* = AV2-IN or AV4-IN

It will be a difficult one to do and will require a lot of faffing around plus all these little electrical components and cables might be just as expensive as it would to replace the TV. Plus the simplicity of changing the TV would mean you can just use the Display Port to HDMI cable. The only negative might be the audio sound compared to what you are used to thanks to the extra space inside the tube TV

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your Source (MacBook Pro 2010) has a MiniDisplayPort digital output.

Your TV has a 3RCA Component Video analogue Input.

You therefore require to convert the MiniDP digital signal to analogue Component using a converter.

MiniDP to Component video converters were/are pretty rare whilst MiniDP to VGA are quite common so you combine a MiniDP to VGA converter with a VGA to Component converter (your TV does not support VGA).

The above can work but can be a faff and getting converters to work with the Mac is not always easy.

The alternative solution is to not use the MacBook Pro as the streamer and use a streaming device which offers analogue Component video Out as standard.

Joe

Merton69

Novice Member
Thank you for all your advice, certainly something to think about.

But it appears, like you have stated, it is a faff and probably an expence too!

The little I do understand is the TV is old, hence converting the digital signal to analogue, but that is why I thought I would connect the MacBook Pro to the DVD player/recorder then that converts the signal as it would when it is playing a DVD.

Thanks.

Merton69

Novice Member
Hello All

Can the MacBook be connected via the DVD player/recorder that is a Lite-On HD-A740GX.

It also has a DV Firewire socket at the front as well as a s-video and left and right audio sockets.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.52.17.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.52.17.png
    420.2 KB · Views: 7

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Technically' yes you can connect the MacBook Pro MiniDP Output to a DV Input on a recorder and send a signal to the recorder - assuming you can get the required adapter to work and can set the Mac to a resolution and refresh rate the recorder supports.

You can spend a huge amount of time trying to make it all work in addition to time and money trying to track down a working converter.

A MacBook Pro and a CRT TV are not ideal partners - possibly your simplest route would be 1 x MiniDP>HDMI Adapter + 1 x HDMI>Component adapter, though you will need to confirm what formats the TV support via its YUV (Component Video Input) and ensure the MiniDP Output on the Mac supports that too.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom