TXSR307 have i made a bad choice?

digitaldecks

Hi all

on bank holiday monday i went to richer sounds and purchased:

Onkyo TXSR307 AV reciever
Onkyo DVSP406 DVD player
Eltax MONITOR SUB

totalling just over £400

its my first dive into seperates. im still using my old satalites from my all in one till i get better surround and centre.

firstly is this a good combo.. should i change the amp? take it all back?

what i watch
dvd 85%
cd 1%
sky + rest of the time.

im not planning to go Bluray till the price drops on movies

im hapy with standard dvd upscaled to my bravia for now

i said to the guys in RS that if im not happy im bringing it back. so if you guys recommend anything or changes let me know and i can sort it out this saturday!

i think RS policy is that they may not do a full refund and give me a credit note. should i wait for something better but that would mean i have no DVD in mean time as my all in one packed up.

hd audio is not a big concearn, its neat and tidy and may future proof but i think i dont want to go more than around £250 on the amp.

ill build slowley as its so much fun! like being a kid again..

i know new amps, dvd players and subs are always comming out..

but for the money i spent did i make any bad choices?

i may be stuch with a credit note from RS so please advice from thier current stock.

again my current setup cost £420 somithing with a 5year warrenty on amp.

i dont want to go over £500 if i make any changes.

thanks

please let me know

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Considering what you have paid I would have thought the choice is reasonable and a good start point into the world of home cinema. None of the equipment is going to be outstanding but as long as you are happy with the end result then you are on a winner. Also as you upgrade each bit in turn you will hear improvements which will make it all worthwhile.
In short as long as you are happy with the sound of it (and it is an improvment over what you had before) then it is not a bad choice.

eastman3000

Hi,

As mentioned by PSM I agree. You have bought best for the budget and that doesnt mean you made a bad choice. Assuming you wanted a major upgrade to sound your probably not getting it as your using the same speakers?

Lastly - did you set it up correctly? this can take some time! I am still tweaking my sound 2 years on!

Anyway - good luck dont think you made a bad choice.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Are you happy with what you bought?

If you are then its the best choice you could have possibly made.

:)

scorpion88

Novice Member
I have a friend who is thinking of starting out with a budget AV system and am trying to help with amp selection. Looking at the Onkyo 307 the specs state 100 watts/channel @ 6 ohms. 1 Channel driven.

What we need to know, and Onkyo are always guilty of this, what does this equate to in real terms into 8 ohms all channels driven simultaneously. My guess is around 50/60 or am I doing Onkyo a disservice. If anyone could clarify that would be great. Cheers

digitaldecks

hi all

thanks for the feedback PSM1, eastman3000, dante01

from the initial setup its been amazing.... i know its not top end stuff but im now a total separates, person never again would i buy an all in one.

setting up has been easy.

dvd player is not the best looking but OMG does it wipe the floor with what i had in terms of upscaling.

but you guys have filled me with more confidence.

my only niggle is that did i make the correct choice in this price range as others available are:

ONKYO TXSR506
DENON AVR1509
YAMAHA RXV365

is the 506 better than the 307?

scorpion88 question is very interesting i would now also like to know so i can make the correct choice of surround speakers

again i cant stop expressing how much seperates is amazing. wife thinks im a bit sad as i keep tinkering with settings..

also one last Q.. when i switch the amp on and off it makes a clicking sound.. is this normal?

penfold27

hi all

also one last Q.. when i switch the amp on and off it makes a clicking sound.. is this normal?

I have an Onkyo 506 and it also clicks when I turn it on and off, so think that is standard for Onks.

By the way, I was in a similar position to you. My 506 was my first venture into home cinema. I too wonder if I should have gone for a better amp e.g. 605/606, particulary to get HD audio processing. However, I just have to remember that I now have amazing surround sound whereas before I didn't :thumbsup:

So like others have said, enjoy your new system and don't worry about the what ifs. Also, remind yourself that it will still sound loads better than a cheapo all in one system :D

PSM1

Distinguished Member
hi all

thanks for the feedback PSM1, eastman3000, dante01

from the initial setup its been amazing.... i know its not top end stuff but im now a total separates, person never again would i buy an all in one.

setting up has been easy.

dvd player is not the best looking but OMG does it wipe the floor with what i had in terms of upscaling.

but you guys have filled me with more confidence.

my only niggle is that did i make the correct choice in this price range as others available are:

ONKYO TXSR506
DENON AVR1509
YAMAHA RXV365

is the 506 better than the 307?

scorpion88 question is very interesting i would now also like to know so i can make the correct choice of surround speakers

again i cant stop expressing how much seperates is amazing. wife thinks im a bit sad as i keep tinkering with settings..

Do not worry too much about the other amps close to the price of yours as it will drive you mad!!! There will always be something slightly better for just that little bit more. You set yourself an affordable budget and sensibly stuck to it and by the sounds of it have a system you are very happy with. The extra you could have spent on the amp etc. can now go towards a better set of speakers.
Do not worry about the clicking all amps do it when they switch on.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom