TXP42G20 v LED tv? Shop advice inside.

leeboy1

Hi guys.

Just phoned my local Richersounds store who in fair have been good in the past.

I told him im looking at the Panny TXP42G20 he asked if i have sky HD when i said yes he told me im spending alot of money on a feature i would not use.. The Freesat HD, So he told me to start looking at LED tv's around my price range as they are better all round ?

Budget is about £650 tops.. I wouldnt have thought a bottom range LED (thats what i would get for my money) would be better than a mid range plasma?? ..Would like it to be a 42" screen and look good too he claims the LED look far better ?

What do you make of this advice?

Going to make a trip to the store ove the next few days to see them in action.

Cheers

Leigh.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi guys.

Just phoned my local Richersounds store who in fair have been good in the past.

I told him im looking at the Panny TXP42G20 he asked if i have sky HD when i said yes he told me im spending alot of money on a feature i would not use.. The Freesat HD, So he told me to start looking at LED tv's around my price range as they are better all round ?

Budget is about £650 tops.. I wouldnt have thought a bottom range LED (thats what i would get for my money) would be better than a mid range plasma?? ..Would like it to be a 42" screen and look good too he claims the LED look far better ?

What do you make of this advice?

Going to make a trip to the store ove the next few days to see them in action.

Cheers

Leigh.

:laugh: Sounds like they have some LEDs to shift:smashin: I dont even have a dish, that didnt put me off buying a V20:rolleyes: its just a feature.

IMHO It takes a top end LED to match a mid range plasma at best. Id have the G20, LG PK590/990 over any LCD set especially for the price its no competition for me.

If you hvent read the reviews then do so, also have a good demo of the sets you fancy. Even RS will push certain products more than others.

If you are set on a G20 then dont be put off by that, freesat HD is not the main reason people are buying that set, its the PQ.

Plasma especially the G20 will give better blacks, better motion, more natural pic, be better in a dimmed room, has wider viewing angle and lower lag. They do cost a few quid more to run than LED but this is offset by the fact plasmas a fare cheaper than LED at the same size for as good if not better PQ.

Plasmas arent good in very bright rooms, can get temp IR, arent as bright or as slim and light.
Plasma isnt for everyone so at the end of the day its up to you.

Last edited:

leeboy1

I think your scoobs,

When i said id come down and check both sets out he only had the LED ones in... I dint think anything of it at first but maybe your right :)

The G20 has got some great reviews thats the reason im heading that way im yet to see that set or any set in action as of yet.

Mainly used with Sky HD and my 360 really, usually for the football... The 600hz and 5 million-1 ratio im told is what really counts?

Cheers buddy

Regards

Leigh

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I think your scoobs,

When i said id come down and check both sets out he only had the LED ones in... I dint think anything of it at first but maybe your right :)

The G20 has got some great reviews thats the reason im heading that way im yet to see that set or any set in action as of yet.

Mainly used with Sky HD and my 360 really, usually for the football... The 600hz and 5 million-1 ratio im told is what really counts?

Cheers buddy

Regards

Leigh

Yes I am scoobs:laugh: No probs mate:smashin:

Be aware tho that the 600hz and 5000000:1 is just marketing spin, have a read of the reviws on here to get a better idea of how sets realy perform. The set does have good contrast though and what you were told is correct, motion and contrast are important.

Do you have any other dealers near? RS are generaly quite good but sometimes the need to push certain stock, seems to influence their advice somewhat :rolleyes: still they are in the business of making money I guess.

leeboy1

Yes I am scoobs:laugh: No probs mate:smashin:

Be aware tho that the 600hz and 5000000:1 is just marketing spin, have a read of the reviws on here to get a better idea of how sets realy perform. The set does have good contrast though and what you were told is correct, motion and contrast are important.

Do you have any other dealers near? RS are generaly quite good but sometimes the need to push certain stock, seems to influence their advice somewhat :rolleyes: still they are in the business of making money I guess.

Sorry about the scoobs Scooby2000 (i have a friend nicknamed scoobs you see) :)

Just spoke to the local Panny store who told me the G20 will blur on HD fast moving sports and told me to buy the V20 and come to the store today! this is out of my bracket though so im now 99% sold on the 42G20 after reading the main review here it seems this is one hell of a TV and for £599 cant really go wrong i supose?

Cheers buddy :thumbsup:

Leigh.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Sorry about the scoobs Scooby2000 (i have a friend nicknamed scoobs you see) :)

Just spoke to the local Panny store who told me the G20 will blur on HD fast moving sports and told me to buy the V20 and come to the store today! this is out of my bracket though so im now 99% sold on the 42G20 after reading the main review here it seems this is one hell of a TV and for £599 cant really go wrong i supose?

Cheers buddy :thumbsup:

Leigh.

No probs with scoobs mate, you typed ''I think your scoobs''?....I am?... maybe its just me waking up, but it made me chuckle....need coffee.:)

The G20 has great PQ especially for the money, there are some issues with motion on the V20 and VT20 so that advise was a bitt odd, I went V20 for the deeper blacks not anything to do with motion, as far as Im aware they handle motion the same. I'd get to another dealer and try and get a demo of the G20 and LGPK590, LGs black levels not as good but motion may be better and SD from what I hear is better too, though this is from what Ive read, not actually owned a PK590.

leeboy1

No probs with scoobs mate, you typed ''I think your scoobs''?....I am?... maybe its just me waking up, but it made me chuckle....need coffee.:)

The G20 has great PQ especially for the money, there are some issues with motion on the V20 and VT20 so that advise was a bitt odd, I went V20 for the deeper blacks not anything to do with motion, as far as Im aware they handle motion the same. I'd get to another dealer and try and get a demo of the G20 and LGPK590, LGs black levels not as good but motion may be better and SD from what I hear is better too, though this is from what Ive read, not actually owned a PK590.

I missed the "right" out of that post... I too need coffee :D

Demo of the G20 and LGPK590 together i think is needed now ! ill let you know how i spend my cash :)

Cheers buddy

Leigh :smashin:

dUFFERS10

If you havent bought yet. John Lewis have just reduced the g20 to £599 inc 5 year guarantee.
Just orderered mine.;-)

cymruoasis

Please let me know your opinions when you get your G20's :thumbsup:. I've been reading a few reviews online today, and they seem great. Prices have fallen alot too.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Check out the owners' threads in the plasma forum and the review on here (section above ^^^ )

leeboy1

Cheers Vickster.

Went into my local RS today... Saw the panny in action along with others but i must say the LG 42le5900 blew me away.

The guy came over ( i know him from school! ) he said the panny is a top set but if he was spending £600 plus on a set he would get the 42le5900, Talk about a spanner in the works... I was all set to go and get the panny but came away with nothing but more pickles in my little head.

Just reading the reviews on the LG and it seems to ba a top set also, the guy said the LED would handle the sky hd better that the plasmas?

9-5 so to say the TV would be used for family use with HD being the priority and some SD cartoon channels for the lad with a small amount of 360'ing.. His words "the LG hands down".

I hate making my mind up... I am now swinging towards the LG :suicide:

Thoughts guys ??

Cheers

LB :confused:

dUFFERS10

My G20 arrives tomorrow, but I havent got the freesat feed from the sky dish sorted yet so no input other than DVD.
If you you decide to wall mount then I guess the LG would look better than the panny, though its been slimed to 5cm. Its PQ all the way for me so I am hoping to be blown away by the contrast range, dept of colour and realism of the plasma over the LCD.
I have a SD NEC plasma in the front room and even though it displays Sky HD in 480p it looks fantastic. Someone once said to me about camera's, its not the amount of pixels you have but the quality of those pixels. I am not quite ready to make the move away from plasma.

leeboy1

Went for the LG after abit of a demo.... Have to say im impressed even though its still using the factory settings , not had time to play with them yet :)

Thanks for all your advice guys

Leigh

yaboy

I think Richer Sounds do work in that way unfortunatley as I called them to get some advice and told the I was mainly intrested in the 42g20 I was asked why that set so I told him from all the reviews it seems like the one to get I was then told by the guy I was talking to that he had that set along with a 3 others in a space of 3 months and that the lg 42ld790 was better I then asked him do you have the g20 in stock and he said nope which pretty much answered my question, I now own a g20 and can say that its a great set the sd picture quality is really good way better than an lcd or led lit lcd but if used with a hd source the led lcds in my opinion truly shine with a brighter and more vivid picture they also make games look better as they add that extra glossy shine to the picture. as a all around set the g20 is good I have seen some judder whilst on my ps3 on gt5 when car lineup is scrolling

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I think Richer Sounds do work in that way unfortunatley as I called them to get some advice and told the I was mainly intrested in the 42g20 I was asked why that set so I told him from all the reviews it seems like the one to get I was then told by the guy I was talking to that he had that set along with a 3 others in a space of 3 months and that the lg 42ld790 was better I then asked him do you have the g20 in stock and he said nope which pretty much answered my question, I now own a g20 and can say that its a great set the sd picture quality is really good way better than an lcd or led lit lcd but if used with a hd source the led lcds in my opinion truly shine with a brighter and more vivid picture they also make games look better as they add that extra glossy shine to the picture. as a all around set the g20 is good I have seen some judder whilst on my ps3 on gt5 when car lineup is scrolling

Personaly I find gaming on LCD a bit too sharp and brigh but everyone's different.
Im playing GT5 myself so will see if my V20 has the same prob, it may be the game, try playing with the internet off too theres some issues at the mo that effect loading times in single player.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom