1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX36PB50 - Slight problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Andy ARB, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Does anyone know if the Panasonix TX36PB50 has a service menu or something.

I've recently had one delivered and its got two slight (ish) problems:

1 The speakers give out a nasty clicking sound (more of a loud CHHHHKKKKKKKK sound )when changing from a channel thats non DD5.1 to a DD5.1 channel I.E changing channels from SKY premier 4 to Sky premier widesceen using a Sky Plus box or interestingly when going through scene selection menus on DVD ( a quieter CHHHHHKKK).

The TV engineer said this is due to the fact the the TV doesn't have a mute on the external sound source. So its something I'm gonna have to live with but its only a mnor inconvenience although it doesn't give a very good impression of Panasonic TVs to visitors when they hear it (it does make it sound like some kind of bargain basement telly)

And the main problem.....

2 The screen geometry ?? is slightly out. The picture bows slightly upwards (a straight horizontal line shown on screen will be approx. 7 MM higher in the center of the screen than it is at the edges). The engineer said this TV doesn't have a service menu and so the picture cannot be adjusted. The only solution is to swap the TV for a new one. This bowing is only noticable when looking at the sky menus and when showing a film with black borders top and bottom. If the picture fills the screen from top to bottom then its unnoticable.

So I'm asking you guys:

1 . Is the engineer correct in that this TV doesn't have a service menu (apparently removed to cut costs even though I had the impression that the tube used in this TV is prone to geometry problems !!!). I'm 99.99% sure that he is correct (as he is an engineer after all) but thought it best to ask you lot ;)

and

2. The engineer says an upwards 'Bow' (or whatever) of 7mm is within tolerance (but JL have generously offered to replace the TV if I decide I want to). Does anyone know what a reasonable tolerance would be or what you think is reasonable for a 1900 quid TV?

Do you think I should stick with what I've got ??? (I'm not after a super dooper perfect picture and, who knows, maybe the replacement would be worse).

Many Thanks

Andy

2. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    I've had a couple of 28PB50's, the first had a minor problem when displaying picture and picture, & the retailer offered to have it swapped, which I agreed to. The second had the same fault, but also came with bad geometry. Several engineers later, I too was told that this was 'within tolerance'. When I asked what the tolerances are, no-one could provide any :rolleyes:.
    I'm not happy having paid a lot less than you, & will be exchanging the set again (for a Philips), so if I were you, I wouldn't put up with it - It would niggle away at me every time I watched the TV.

As for a service menu, I managed to find some info on the web (not this forum, but can't remember where) which accessed an 'engineer' menu. Some of the things you could chage were obvious, & some I had no idea what they did. I dunno if they will work with the 36", but I dont see why not. I will dig the info out over the weekend, & post into this thread asap, but it will probably be Tuesday (6th) if you want.

However, if I were you, I'd be back at JL, inspecting a replacement, & if it was OK, I would have that very TV. One thing to note, is that all through this forum, JL generally get vey favourable reports with regards to returning products, so I wouldn,t let it get me down :D

3. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Orson. Your help is much appreciated.

Good luck with the Philips.

Andy

4. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    what about the clicking sound Andy mentioned?

i've got a 36pb50 on order and i'm not sure ig i like the idea of a clicking sound when changing channels on his sky box.

is this just a sky digi box problem, or does the click happen when switcing othersources.

andy, how loud is the click, does it depend on the vol setting?

5. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mujja

Just did some experimenting. There isn't a problem when changing the source on the TV itself I.E from BBC1 via the aerial to AV1 (Sky showing a DD5.1 channel).

The click (or multiple clicks/sounds as I've just discovered) is only a problem when:

Changing from a non DD5.1 channel to a DD5.1 channel (The only DD5.1 channel I have is Sky premier widescreen) COMBINED with a sky plus box connected to the TV using the optical cable. (If your are ONLY going to use a scart lead it wont be a problem).

It doesnt occur when switching between normal non DD5.1 channels so its not a frequent problem, just a bit disconcerting as you think the speakers must be wired incorrectly or there is a short or something (its that kind of sound).

The loudness of the click or whatever is related to the sound volume and it seems the louder the volume the EVEN LOUDER the click is (I.E. turn the volume up a bit and the click sound goes up a bit and and a half)

Hope the above helps. It doesn't worry me too much now that I know it just a missing mute rather than some short circuit type thing.

Andy

6. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for that Andy.

How have you found the TV generally. I think the Philips 9607 looks better but I'm buying the Panasonic because of it's twin tuners. Also I like the DTS too.

I know it wont sound as good as a seperate AV amp and speakers etc, but I'm surrounded by old neighbours and I don't need big sound. Also I don't want the hassle of lots of cables remotes and boxes. The 36PB50 suits my needs.

I've only seen it in Currys, Comet etc and none of the stores had a decent signal so I haven't had a chance to see what the picture and sound is really like.

But it will be my first widescreen TV and DD5.1 setup so I'm sure it'll keep me happy.

I'm just a bit worried about all the problems people seem to have with 36" CRTs. I just hope I get a good one first time.

7. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mujja

Even with the minor faults I've mentioned, I'm very pleased with this TV.

Its got decent sound, good connections (two AV channels can have digital sound input so I can get the best sound out of my DVD and my Sky plus box) and a good picture.

At the end of the day I want a TV I can just turn on and watch without endlessly having to tweak the picture settings depending on what I'm watching (Analogue or Sky Digital or DVD) and thats what I do with this TV (watch it rather than tweak it).

I hope you like the TV when you get it. Maybe you could let us
    know what your impressions of it are.

Ps . It's interesting you mentioned the 9607 as thats the TV I used to have before I replaced it with the Panasonic !!

Andy

8. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Sorry I have been a long time replying, & if you've accessed the service menu already you can stop reading now, but after much searching, the wife told me she may have 'tidied' the instructions away :rolleyes: , However, I have just read this other thread, which sounds pretty similar to the method I used.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43796

Hope all goes well.......

9. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Orson

Thanks very much indeed. I tried your suggestion and I can now access the service menu on this TV ;)))

However, now I've discovered yet another problem. I'm too much of a chicken to experiment with it - lol.

Andy

10. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Andy,

I finally got my 36PB50 yesterday. From what I have see so far I'm really happy with it. I haven't seen and display problems yet.

Will have more time to check it out fully on the weekend when I watch a couple of movies. I played some clips from Saving Private Ryan DTS and Gladiator DTS and the sound was great. Loud enough for my flat, (got old neighbours).

Just curious about service menu, what else can be adjusted apart from display. My display looks fine.

I havent had a chance to read the manual so the answer to my next question might be in there. Can I manually tune channels and assign channel numbers to AV inputs? I also want to maybe rename AV1, AV2 to DVD, Cable etc.

I find selecting the AV channles a bit confusing. I press the AV button and then a colour for 1,2,3 or 4. I then have to remember what colour the DVD, cable or Xbox is. It doesn't cycle through them all either.

11. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mujja

Not too sure what is and isn't in the service menu to be honest. Its all very cryptic as I suppose its really meant for engineers who know what they are doing. Its not very user friendly.

My advice would be to forget it exists if you are happy with your TV as it is. I've heard tales of people making a right mess of their TV using it, hence my nerves ;)

You can manually tune etc. but I don't think you can assign channel numbers to the AV inputs. I don't think you can rename the AV channels either but the colours do also show the AV number so hopefully you will soon memorise which is which.

I hope you continue to like your TV. No doubt we will all be hearing from you soon if not ;)

PS. Don't forget to test the DD5.1 sound from your XBOX using its optical out. Games sound great using it ;)

Andy

12. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Can't wait to try the xbox, need to get the box back down from the attic so i can get the Joytech cable out and plug the xbox into the digital input.

It wasnt fun squinting on my 25" TV while playing Halo.

Andy, u using standard scarts or did u get some of the more expensive ones.

I paid £60 for a optical cable in Curry, it's all they had. Might take that back and get a cheaper one from somewhere else. Incase they dont refund I thought I'd exchange for some better scarts.

Pic looks good, but if it can look better then I should try.

Also I know the £60 optical cable is a bit much. But if I swapped for a cheaper £10 cable then I'd always be wondering if my movies don't sound right. Atleast with the cable I got I know I'm getting good sound, or atleast I like to think so :)

13. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the moire patterning on the left hand side of the screen when watching ntsc dvds ...i couldnt live with it ,,, apparently panasonic cant correct this :eek:'(

14. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mujja

I use semi expensive scarts, £30 quid ones called monster something or other. They got 5 stars in one of the home cinema mags. A friend took the p?ss a bit saying they are no better than his 2 quid ones so I let him take them home with him for a day so he could see for himself. The next day he had to admit he saw a definate improvement ;)

£60 quid sounds alot for an optical cable but I know what you mean. Its best to go slightly overboard and know you have the best quality reasonably possible rather than scrimp a bit and then forever wonder if the sound sounds right.

After all, next month the psycological scars of spending £60 on a cable will have healed but you will be enjoying the benefits of £60 worth of cable forever ;)

I have an optical cable and a coax cable. Both about £25 quid. I bought them for a previous tv that only accepted coax whilst my Sky plus box used optical and so I had to use a cheapo £20 optical to coax converter. Even then it sounded good so I decided to keep them. Otherwise, I think I would probably have spent slighty more ;)

PS Mujja. How straight are your horizontal straight lines. The geomagnetic adjustment provides a nice couple of straight lines to check with.

The plumber

Yes I've heard about that effect. Not sure what it is but luckily for me my dvd player is region 2 only and can't be hacked.

Andy

15. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TX36PB50 looks great, I cant see any moire while watching NTSC?, I actually only have PAL (mostly region 4 from EzyDVD , all the way from Oz and still under a tenner for most titles inc delivery if u order 3-4) but have SVCD's that i watch in NTSC and they look A1 too

16. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    the plumber,

I played an NTSC DVD today and didn't notice any strange patterns on the left or anywhere else on the screen.

Andy ARB,

I've only watched 2 DVDs yet and I noticed both seem a bit dark. It could have been the lighting in the films, might need to watch a couple more to be sure. The 2 I've watched are U-571 and Black Hawk Down. In some shots when the guys have the sun behind them you can harldy see their faces cause their soo dark. I tried adjusting the brightness levels but it didn't work.

I read somewhere else on this forum about dark RGB problems. I've connected my DVD player through AV1 RGB. I'll try a non RGB output tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

What setting are you using for Brightenss etc. There are no % numbers, so judging by the size of the bars, my contrast is just below 50 and brightness about 65%.

Also, what benefits did ur mate notice with your scart cables? What difference can they make to the picture. Maybe they can fix my dark pictures.

The brightness is ok with NTL cable via RGB, so maybe I need to mess about with the DVD settings.

17. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had a total of 7 sets all panasonic PL30 and PB50 over a period of about13 months and every set had this problem after numerous calls to panasonicfrom my dealer it was established that this is a recognised problem and cant be rectified but can be reduced by shrinking the picture dimensions .

18. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mujja

Contrast about 60%
    Brightness about 50%
    Colour about 50%
    Colour balance normal
    AI on (I think this automatically adjusts your contrast etc.)
    Flicker reduction off
    P-NR off

It seems to be OK for me although I must confess I haven't done too much tweaking with it.

I have been planning to buy one of those calibaration DVDs such as Ultimate DVD Platinum but Im not quite sure these DVDS are NTSC only. If it is, I'm wondering if they will be much use for setting up my TV to watch PAL pictures ???

My mate was getting interference with his cheapo cables. Not sure exactly what it was but he described it as like 'patterns' appearing over the top of the picture down one side.

It must have been bad as he reckons he got a better picture from his video via the ariel lead rather than his cheapo scart leads !!! The £30 scart leads sorted it out for him.

PS. Changing my sky box to output PAL rather than RGB via the scarts didnt change contrast or darkness of the pictures at all.

As your NTL box is OK maybe its your DVD player like you say. You could always try watching the DVD on your XBOX to see if thats any better or the same. Maybe its just that the films you have watched so far happen to be dark !!

Andy

19. Corbin

Corbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy ARB

This info may be of help to you and others.
    I presume that all the newer Panasonic TV's are much the same when it comes to the service menu.
    I have a TX28PL10 and other than the slight geometry problems, it is quite a cracking set. Searched the forums to see how to access the service menu and decided to play around a bit (remembering to write down the current settings first of course)
    Having played around with them for some time, these are the best settings I can get for my TV. They may not be the same for two TV sets but it's worth a try I suppose.

Contrast - 40% ish
    Brightness - 60% ish
    Colour - 50% ish
    Sharpness - 30% ish
    AI - On
    P Nr - On
    Flicker - On

Service menu :

H Pos +014
    V Pos -007
    H Amp +047
    V Amp -072
    EW Amp -030
    Lower Corner +008
    Trapez -002
    Upper Corner +005
    V Lin -011
    V Sym +027
    Angle 000
    Bow +003

The rest I didn't touch as I don't know what they do. Hope this helps but if anyone else has a better set up please let me know as these settings are not 100% (but then which TV is ????)

20. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Corbin

Thanks v much for the info.

I've been into the service menu but was too much of a chicken to do anything with it. I had to quickly exit it and go for a lie down ;)

That 'Bow' setting seems like something I should look into. Do you know what buttons you use to change settings etc. and then exit and save?

PS Is there an exit without save option etc? In case I bottle out halfway through? ;)

Many thanks

Andy

21. Corbin

Corbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy

When the service menu is on the screen, press the green teletext button to go up through the menu. Press red to go back again. The yellow and blue buttons are the ones you need to use to change the actual settings. If you change a setting and you don't like it, just press the red button to go back. Don't be scared to change anything as you have to press the store button behind the front flap on the TV to confirm anything anyway. Providing you don't press the store button at any time then there will be no changes made. To exit altogether just press the N button on your remote control. Should be behind the little flap that the buttons to operate a vcr are. After you have pressed the N button, you will have to change your contrast, brightness etc again as your TV automatically reverts back to "normal" mode.

Hope this helps.

22. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Corbin

Thanks again for the info.

Armed with your information I've had a look at all the settings without blowing my TV up ;). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a 'Bow' setting and so it looks like I'm stuck with a slightly bowed picture, but it's only a slight problem I suppose.

My only other hope is that the service menu was entitled 'Service Menu 1'. As its got a number maybe there is a service menu number 2 ???? which may include a 'Bow' setting.

PS. Mujja. All the settings seem to relate to the picture etc., there doesn't appear to be any settings for sound. Settings include picture height, width, curving in/bowing out of the sides and flaring out/in of the top and bottom corners.

Andy

23. pvkleeff

pvkleeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 32PL30 and I have 2 problems with it. First of all the dreaded fanning effect. Is there a way to get rid of it ?
    By changing things in the servicemenu perhaps ?
    And second of all, according to the instruction manual it should be possible to set the TV to progressive scan modus. But it simply isn't possible with my TV! Is this normal ? Or is this only for the 36PL30 ? (They have the same instruction manual)