TX36PB50 or TX36PL30

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MrJubbly, Dec 6, 2001.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've have already posted a smilar message un the 'The best 36" widescreen???' thread, so apologies if it seems like I am repeating myself.

As I said previously, I am also looking around for a 36" TV and am now weighing up between the Panny PB50 or PL30.

I was going to go for the PL30 outright,on the basis that I already have a reasonable AV setup. However my choice would be made easier if someone couls answer the following:

1) Picture quality wise, is the PL30 as good as the PB50?

2) Apart from the additional onboard decoders, is there anything else that makes the PB50 better than the PL30?

3) Does the PL30 have the same multiwindow functions as the PB50? The Panasonic brochure says not ( says PB50 has PIP/POP/PAP/PAT whilst the PL30 only has Picture and Text). However some adverts I have seen for the PL30 state that it hasPIP/POP/PAP/PAT functions.

4) In the thread mentioned above, randallp mentaioned that he got his PB50 price matched down to around £1700 from John Lewis. I would be keen to do the same if I could find a retailer that could do the set for this price. Does anybody know of anywhere (must be retail - not internet or electrical warehouse)that does the PB50 for around the £1700 mark?

5) finally, I will be wanting to get rid of my Sony KVS3432 4:3 TV. Does anyone know of places where I could try an flog it, either on-line or retail?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers

MrJubbly

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Panasonic to find out if the TX36PL30/PB50 is any different from the much critisised TX36PG50. The answer is NO, the chassis is the same!

So what the TX36PG50 get slated in reviews and the TX36PB50 gets plaudits.

Come on you wonderful HCC and What Video reviewers, give us an answer!

3. nskins

nskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Jubbly,

I too am trying to decide between these 2 sets and the £400 diff quoted by EmpireDirect.

Having phoned Panasonic today they confirmed that only the PB50 has PIP/POP/PAP/PAT with the PL30 only having Picture & Text.

They then went on to say the picture technology was the same but I am not convinced with such diffs in features.

I'm hoping that one of these mags is going to review the PL30 for us very soon. £400 is a lot of diff.

Nskins

4. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Yeah its due to the PB50 having 2 tuners and the PL30 only having one, apart from that i believe they use the same chassis.