1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX32PD50 with Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Meeko, May 11, 2005.

1. Meeko

Meeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I used my DVDS97 with my TX32PD50 in Progressive Scan yesterday. The picture was rubbish compared to standard interlaced. I was playing a Region 2 PAL disc, and the player can output 520p or 625p (NTSC or PAL). Both were rubbish. The colour was saturated and even the motion was juddery.

Anyone else experienced this? I guess you shouldn't use progressive with these sets.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have the TX32PD30 and S97 DVD player going via component & my AVR2805. I have tried the picture both in prog scan and interlaced (though with the scaler off as i am not using HDMI) and the picture is outstanding with both and noticably better with prog scan.

I dont know why you have got an issue with your set but it certainly isnt a problem with mine. Did you have the same problem with other disks or just the one?

3. Meeko

Meeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I must admit I only tried one disc - which is a PAL region 2. Perhaps the S97 doesn't convert PAL to NTSC PS? (as the pd50 only supports NTSC PS)Although I tried the "convert from pal" on 520p and 625p and both were rubbish. Unfortunately I don't have any NTSC discs.

Do you use PAL discs with PS?

Cheers,

Meeko

4. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only supports NTSC PS??? My one seems fine and accepts PAL R2 discs in PS no problem. PQ is excellent and the set is reporting a Prg Scan input with standard Denon 1710

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes, the PD30 supports PS with pal and NTSC - I would be very surprised if the PD50 didnt as it was the replacement for the PD30

6. Meeko

Meeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I do get a picture if the DVDS97 is outputting NTSC/PAL PS, so I presume the PD50 supports PAL PS, but as I said, the PQ is rubbish. The contrast settings don't seem to do anything when in progressive mode. The detailing of solid colours - i.e. skin, disappears - it looks like the display is operating in a limited colour mode, or the stream is under heavy compression. Even the motion isn't as smooth is when in interlaced. Surely this is wrong?

7. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have compared my interlaced and PS, I can definately say PS is better. Certainly no loss in detailing. Judging by your other post Meeko, it might be your set at fault?

8. Meeko

Meeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the information. I presume you were trying a PAL disc? I'm going to call the retailer and ask for a replacement.

9. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Meeko,
    I seem to remember in the 'PD30 fault list' thread that a number of people said that although PAL PS is listed on the PD30/PD50's tech list, panasonic dont gaurantee (or words to that affect) that PAL PS is supported (only NTSC PS is fully supported) - and as many people found that it didn't work on their particular TV set as those that found it did. Seems to be luck of the draw (very odd for something thats listed on the spec sheet - dunno why it happens). If you look through the thread you'll see it keeps being mentioned (if you have a spare couple of hours - its now a very long thread...). If you can still get a replacement it might be worth a try, but bear in mind that they are now discontinued and as of the last couple of weeks are rare as hens teeth to get hold of (also you might find the next set has some or many of the many common faults listed in the thread, particularly if its one of the last ones floating around panasonic warehouses). Whatever you decide or find out - good luck. :smashin:
    Mark.

10. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes - Pal Fifth Element opera scene. Always a good test of detail and colour.