TX32LXD52 vs 32WLT58

rhiridflaidd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wife friendly 32" TFT in the £1000-£1500 budget mark.

After lurking on this forum over the last week; it seems that the Toshiba seems to be coming out on top. Am I right in thinking this; are there any snags, and are there any others I should reseach.

Thanks for any help. And I know that posts like this must be the bane of your forums; I spend far too much time forum posting; but TV's is a subject I know too little about to spend this much money blindly; and there isn't a decent TV showroom without a 2-3h's drive from here!

Thanks.

I've got exactly the same dilemma. I've been reading this forum for a while - including the massively helpful Toshiba thread - and have narrowed down my choice to these two models. In fact, until yesterday I was rather inclined to go for the Toshiba as I liked the look, the reviews were positive, and lots of people seemed very happy with it.

However, when comparing them in the shop yesterday, the Panasonic had visibly better picture quality, including on the less popular (and more compressed) channels. It just seemed to handle rapid movement better; the picture was sharper and the skin tones more natural (I played with the settings on both.) But I'd be very curious to hear other people's opinions on this...

I'm new to LCD's and after reading the posts here I bought the Toshiba 32WLT58 last week, it was delivered Tuesday. The picture is perfect, crystal clear. Freeview and analogue channels are superb, much better than I had hoped and better than my Toshiba 25" CRT.

My wife now wants one in the dining room as well....and I'm inclined to agree. £1085 well spent....I'm really pleased, this is our first LCD TV and it's a great TV. The picture is flawless, crystal clear.

I had the same dilemma, however as I already have a 36" CRT Tosh, I thought I would take the plunge into the LCD world and go for the Panny.

I was worried about motion blur and all the other problems with LCD as a new technology.

However all my fears were laid to rest as the first thing I did when I took it out of the box was to tune into some good old fashion footy........

Now i'm no expert in reviewing these things but I would like to think that I have a good idea of what a good picture should look like and what can I say other than WOW.

I was amazed.... Not one single bit of motion blur, ghosting etc etc..... It made me wonder what all the fuss was/is about....

I'm sure there are plenty of poor LCD's out there but the Panny is not one of them.

My only gripe is that ITV (Granada region) is very blocky and I can't receive Channel 5 (either manually or by auto as a default). As every other channel plays like a dream, I can only guess that it is a signal problem in my area.

Oh yeah... there is a wall mount bracket compatability issue going on in another thread. You might want to take a look.

I went to a TV centre yesterday to see Wales V New Zealand on the displays with a view to buying a CRT to tide me over until DVD has found a level. I was struck by the Panasonic TX-26LXD52 because it was the best picture on show and nearly all makes were represented and showing the same channel. I must add that the Panny was connected to digital Free View while the others were on analogue. I now want to see a Panny 32 and if it is as good as the 26 I will definitely buy it providing that it shows football to the very high standard that the 26 showed the rugby.

Instead of getting the Panny D52 why not go to John Lewis and spend your whole budget on the Panny d500. That will also include a 5 year guarentee. That's where i am going tomorrow

Have you looked at the Samsung 32"? It's almost half the price of the Panny yet the quality difference is probably marginal. Is it really worth spending double? By saving half the amount, I have a brilliant TV now and in a years time when technology has moved even more forward I could (if i wanted to that is) spend the money I saved and get an even better one ;)

Check out the blog in my sig for part one of my review of the Sammy.

HMMmmmmm the Samsung is a good LCD. But in reality the design is a little flakey....

No offence but it reminds me of a Hyundi coupe.... In 5 months time it will look very dated. Then again, in 20yrs it will be very retro.... ;)

Pity that the quality of the rugby wasn't up t the quality of the panny.

A stupid question sorry; but looking at d500 vs d52 on the panny website; the specs of both including screen brightness seems identical. What's the real difference. And the closest John Lewis is 3.5h away unfortunately.

The D500 has better blacks, a PC Card slot, PC Input socket and a SD Card slot. So if you want to connect your PC to a screen you will need the D500. If you can't get to a John lewis store, Digital DirectUK.com have them for only £1,405.00 although it doesn't include insurance except your one year parts and Labour. They will knock some money off if you get a wall bracket with it aswell

Ah. Pc connectivity is pretty useful for futureproofing. That swings is towards the Toshiba for me. I can't really justify another £300-£400.

What is the problem in connecting the pc to the d52 through a DVI/HDMI cable?

It would be my laptop that would be connected to this PC- which has a d-sub connection. The budget is £1000-£1500 - but is totally flexible; and ultimately dictated by what I can justify to myself.

The D500 uses a D-Sub socket connecting to a PC. If you were to use a HDMI-DVI socek then you wouldn't have a socket for your DVD Player.

I am going to Bluewater tomorrow to have a final look at the D500. I have seen Freeview on it and even that looks amazing.(the picture was on a split arial aswell) The DVD quality is also apparently Amazing.

The Toshiba screen is a great screen, don't get me wrong but as every magazine have said, 'You get for what you've pay for' Honestly if your Budget allows, please get the d500. I was thinking of getting that new Philips LCD which is about £2000 but didn't think that was woth another £500. Plus i have heard alot of probelms about that screen

The the Panny D500, you will not be Dissapointed!

By default the Toshiba isnt setup for freeview pictures. Once you've had a play, and turned the noise reduction to full, the picture is pretty good. It's worth considering this when looking at two TV's in a shop.

Right- I am getting tempted here. But there is the "wife friendly" criteria too.

The Toshiba has a nice and tidy stand. If I get a d500 I'll need one of them too.

Yes. You will be pleased to hear that the Panny does come with the stand. I think that the Panny with 5 years FREE insyrance at John Lewis is a Bargain.

Yep - Everyubody in this threadseems to be buying from JL - but it's 1800 (including a PVR) without a price match -and the closest store is really far from where I live.

Is it possible to organise it over the phone??

And how do you prove a price match.

I have to go to my Bluewater store and say that the Traford store which a LONG way, away is doing it for £1499. They will call that branch just to check. Everyone who has done this so far have not had any problems in getting a price match.

Over the phone? I don't know to be honest. Try Calling

And you want to get one of those with your new set?

I really would go and Phone John Lewis and get the D500 for £1499 which inclued a Stand, Delivery and a 5 year guarentee. You get ALOT for your money

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom