TX32LXD52 - set up and angled viewing q's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Gotek, Nov 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Gotek

Gotek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but I have recently purchased this set based upon the excellent comments here and in shop demonstrations.

Initially I was dissappointed in the component quality but seem to have sorted this now and very pleased with the set.

I do however have two questions -

1. When viewing other than straight on the set looks alot brighter, I would describe it as looking washed out. Is this normal for any LCD?

The other issue is that with the settings optimised for DVD they do not look right on other sources, particularly the internal freeview and extrtnal Sky box. Is there a way of the set remembering differnt settings for different sources? I have read the manual but cannot see any mention of this.

Or do the changes to picture settings affect all sources?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

The best you can do is change the picture setting type and then adjust as needed, say Normal for TV and Cinema for DVD input, the picture setting type is remembered for each input.

Regards

Philip

3. Gotek

Gotek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks, but just to clarify...

what you are saying is that the TV remembers the different settings for say normal, cinema etc and uses these same settings whatever the source?

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Yes, you can play a DVD and set that to Cinema mode and adjust the colour/brightness etc, then switch to TV and use the Normal mode to adjust for the TV. The TV set remembers what picture setting you applied to each input.

Regards

Phil

5. Gotek

Gotek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant, thanks very much. :thumbsup:

6. saint123

saint123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any one have any thoughts on question 1...

1. When viewing other than straight on the set looks alot brighter, I would describe it as looking washed out. Is this normal for any LCD?

I seem to have the same conditions...

7. Gotek

Gotek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This washed out look happends on all sources so I assume it is an inherent condition of LCD panels.

I would also be interested in knowing what contrast setitng people have on their sets as I can't decide whether fully up is right as this gives the best results on the test discs or down a bit as dark scenes appear grey! My brightness is a little over half way and set right according to the THX tests.

Graham

8. JerryU

JerryU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey saint123 and Gotek, join the club! Re viewing angle - I get exactly the same thing on my 52, noticeably brighter when watching other than straight on. Bit irritating, isn't it, especially when there's more than one person watching, from different angles in the room. Must be a characteristic of the panel. At least I now know I've not got a one-off.

Incidentally, I've asked RyanK about this on TX32LXD52/TX32LXD500 Optimum Settings thread. He has a 52 too.

9. Gotek

Gotek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone in my house now crowds onto the single chair directly in front of the TV. That works a treat though a bit uncomfortable.

As for the settings, I've noticed that the test discs I use always make the picture too bright for normal viewing. They're a good starting point for reference though.