1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tx28ps12 banding - can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bascombe, May 14, 2004.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

recently acquired a panasonic tx28ps12 from comet (last they had in glasgow, ex display), and am generally v happy with it. The pale vertical bands that others have mentioned are there however, tho they only really show up in dark grainy scenes with uniform colour. I can definitely live with it - it only seems to show on dvd input (as I've noticed so far), and doesnt spoil enjoyment. However, its there, and I'm wondering if others have had the problem fixed to their satisfaction?

Off topic slightly, but with regards to the 100hz/50hz modes - how do you switch between these? Is it simply by the selection of the flicker reduction? Or is there something different? There didnt seem to be an explicit reference to this issue in the instruction manual.

Cheers,

Bascombe

2. rossp

rossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is an upgrade available for the white banding allthough it does not cure it 100% it does improve. Hope this is of help Ross

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I have a TX28DT40 and have the same issue - I have been told that it is the shadow mask fixing by a certified engineer, and that there is nothing that can be done about it. :mad:

If you think it's bad with DVDs you should try playing games on the set! I do games reviews, and whenever I get any sort of horizontal movement (very often) this ugly line rears its head.

As for 100Hz - I know that on my set you cannot turn it off. The flicker reduction will stop whatever processing it does (causes some artifacting at times) but it is still 100Hz. (still get the 100Hz "blur & stutter")

4. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HHmmm, have tried set with gamecube and the banding isnt appearing too much in that - noticing it a wee bit in terrestrial broadcasts, and in the one dvd I've watched so far it didnt crop up too much - maybe I havent got it as bad as some. I'll try a few more films and see if I can live with it.

Be dissapointed (and duped?) if you cant switch to 50hz. I had been reassured by a salesman in a diff store from the one i bought it in that it could be switched, and I'm sure I've seen others mention it on these forums. I dont really have any major probs with the 100hz at the mo, it was more out of curiosity i wanted to see what difference it made. An email to panasonic may be the next step....

Cheers,

Bascombe