TX28PB50

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Luigi, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Luigi

Luigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably been asked alot (I did search), but;

Good TV? My TX28PK2 didn't work on delivery, and it's a discontinued model, so I was thinking about getting the TX28PB50. It seems alot of people are posting about this morie problem though.

So in short, is it a good set? I see Empire Direct selling it for £839.

Help would be gratefully received! :D

2. Luigi

Luigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No comments on whether the Panasonic PB50 range is a good buy then? :(

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read that the PB's have inherited some of the PG's problems.

4. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had a panasonic 28pb50 for 2 weeks now , and having read about the problems with the pg model i can confirm that none of the previous problems exist .The 28pb50 is amamazing tv i cannot praise it enough and is well worth the money

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No "humming" in Surround sound?
    No refusals to respond to the remote?
    No picture and only sound when you switch it on sometimes?
    No unreadable text when it's scroling horizontally?
    No 100Hz nasties on fast moving pictures eg Motor Sport?
    No tantrums, like a naughty child, that only a power off resolves?
    Don't get me wrong, if you've got a good one then that's brilliant. My PG has been nothing but hassle but very occasionally it gives you a glimpse of just how good it could be. I was hoping that the PBs would have all the problems sorted out and was somewhat dismayed to read that some owners were having the same sort of probelms to varying degrees. Here'a hoping...........

6. Luigi

Luigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cripes, I think you've just turned me off it. :(

Is there anything good about the TV? :mad:

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the PG series I am refering too. I know it looks bad, but it's really irrating to sit down after a hard day at work remote in hand to watch some TV only to find you've got to get back up off the sofa to power it off and back on purely because you wanted to do something as simple as change channel. Especially, when I've got a 14 yr+ old JVC TV,in the next room, that faithfully responds to the remote every time. Personally I don't think it's acceptable for a TV costing what a 36" PG does!
    (Whoops, ranting again! Sorry.)

8. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ihave been waiting for the 28pb50 since june after been told by the retailor that the set replaces the pg series with all faults solved ,to which i must agree after reading reviews ,and advise you to have a look at the 28 or 32pb50 and see if you can get it changed in a deal some how

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be conflict views over if the problems have been resolved or not. I deal I spoke to wasn't even aware that the PG's had problems, and that was a Panasonic only dealer! Scary.
    I hope that it's true and the problems have been resolved.
    (Does this include the one where the volume on the TV controls the output level of the line out jacks, eg if you connect to a amp?)

10. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colin H
    I canot answer your last question but the 36pb50 has just been voted EISA 2001-2002 television of the year ,hope you soon get your problems resolved been in same over the years ,lost a lot of money in part exchanges

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich1950,
    Thanks, I had noticed that and found it a bit strange if it does have a selection of faults as long as your arm! I hope you didn't have the hassle I am getting mine sorted - gone beyond ridiculous!
    Here's hoping! The PG shows promise but it's way to flawed. Can only really wait and see what other owners thoughts are.
    Comments anyone?

12. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colin H Thankyou
    To help you further the last time i went in to the shop to enquire (aug)i already knew about the new model the dealer told me they were being made in Poland came home checked pan uk web site nothing, checked pan polish site full specs identical to mine on all three models .My dealer only ever had the pan 36pg45 ,don,t no of anybody who got the smaller screens rich 1950

13. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had 3 32PG50's before getting a full refund. I now have a 32PB50 and the problems are: a slight hum, not as bad as the 32PG50 and slight shading down the sides of the tube again not as bad as the 32PG50. The only problem I did encounter which not like was moire patterning on PAL broadcasts as well as NTSC. Luckily for me I had an engineer around on Saturday and for PAL broadcasts it is fixed and for NTSC 120Hz its fixed but on progressive 60Hz there is slight moire patterning on the right hand side. This is no where near as bad as it was. The engineer had to defocus the beam or something. At first he made it terrible with the picture being really blurred but then he turned it back again and when I was happy with the picture he stopped. So its a sort os trade off between sharpness and moire. I think mine is about at optimum. So I am now happy

14. Luigi

Luigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a silly question, but, can 100hz TV's display PAL 60hz and NTSC signals correctly?

I was recently told that inspite of a tv being able to do 100hz, it cannot display 60hz or NTSC signals. To buy a 100hz TV isn't exactly cheap either, and have it not do those things are unforgivable.

Also, has anyone tried the 5.1 on this TV? Is it really that bad?

15. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The TX28PB50 can display PAL 50Hz/60Hz/100Hz and NTSC 60Hz/120Hz(even though it says 100Hz).

I have the TX32PB50 and in my opinion the 5.1 surround is very good.

Hope this helps.

Neil

16. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luigi
    I have to say i cannot fault the Pan 28pb50 in any way ,the picture and the sound including 5.1 are suberb,i have certainly looked for faults to find but maybe has i am getting older my hearing and sight probably are not as good ,but would advise you to look at both the 28-32 inch model and compere i don,t think you will be disapointed

17. Luigi

Luigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats all my questions answered. Thanks everyone!

All the help was much appreciated. :) :)

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimmers,
    Have you noticed a significant difference between the PB and PG? I like the PG but just can't live with it's faults, i.e I never use surround because of the humming, rendering the DTS completely pointless!

19. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Colin

The picture quality is about the same even
    though I have been told that What TV say the PB is a lot better.

The sound ignoring the hum is the same the only difference is that unlike the PG where you couldn't ignore the hum on the PB you can most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, you can hear a hum but its not as bad as the PG.

I have sent another email to Panasonic about the hum and I am awaiting a response.

Will let you know.

Neil

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimmers,
    No Lock Ups, lack of response to remote control? Switching on and sound but no picture? If they've gone then it's certainly a step in the right direction! Is it bad on moving objects/scolling text?
    Don't you find that as you know it hums you always manage to pick it out?

21. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't experienced any of the above, thats not to say they won't appear.

As with the hum it depends on what you are watching, if say you are watching a film with lots of music and effects then its hard to notice it but if you are watching the news then you can notice it.

I am going to get the engineer to look at it when he comes to fix the moire patterning completely this time.

Neil

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely Panasonic are going to make a big effort to get it right this time? I imagine that they couldn't afford another Series of "PGs" it would be too damaging to their reputation? Please let me know how you get on with the engineer. I hope the "fix" is a fix rather than a "work around". Good Luck