1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX100 lens stability? need some feedback.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by morkys, Oct 23, 2005.

1. morkys

morkys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I got my TX100 back from warranty replacement. I received a brand new unit, or at the very least, another unit with a different serial number and zero hours on the meter. There is much reduced vertical banding, and the colour uniformity is better. I have a concern though, and I need some feedback.

The lens seems looser on this unit. I can shift the lens back and forth with my hand ever so slightly, and when focussing, this happens to some degree. You can barely feel the movement (if at all), but the projected image moves on my screen about 3 pixels worth, or 5/16 of an inch (about 7 or 8 mm for you metric people) (my projected image is about 82" wide or 92" diagonal). It really isn't a big deal, accept, every time you focus it, you have to fiddle with it to aim it absolutely perfectly.

With your unit, is there any play at all with your lens what-so-ever? When you grab the lens by the focus ring, can you shift the lens left and right making the image on the screen move left and right at all? If so, how much does the on screen image move? Or is your units lens totally rock solid?

I want to know if there is anything wrong with my unit, or if it is just a slightly looser lens assembly or lens shift mechanism.

thanx in advance for any info,

:cool:

P.S. Apart from the loose lens, this replacement unit looks great :) Sharp and rich colours, less vertical banding and better colour uniformity. To be honest, once I focus it, I can leave it, but I suspect peak-a-boo scanlines may cause me to want to change the focus a wee bit from time to time.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    No movement on mine.

Does the optical lens shift still operate as before? It has been known for this mechanism to be compromised after servicing. If the lens shift is OK and you can live with the slightly loose lens I'd take that as a result...PJ

3. morkys

morkys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optical lens shift mechanism operates fine as far as I can tell, and in fact, when using the lens shift, sometimes the same left/right lens motion happens. The unit was not "serviced" as far as I can tell. I was given another unit with a new serial number and zero hours on the meter. The lens shift still works, and I don't even really use it myself, and I could live with the slightly loose lens. Its just a good deal less confidence inspiring that I have to tweak the lens left and right after focussing, because the act of focussing causes the lens to move left and right. Again, the motion is small, the equivalent of 3 pixels or 7 or 8 mm, but its still there.

I may keep it, but I was planning to sell the unit and upgrade to the TX200 :)