1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX100 Brightness Flicker

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cliocarl, Mar 5, 2005.

1. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a Hitachi TX100 back in October from Crampton & Moore and have been extremely pleased with it.

Last night I was using my projector via DVI watching a DVD, after the film had finished I was chatting in MSN Messenger for a while and i have noticed a serious brightness flicker.

Has anyone else noticed this?

What could it be?

Should I ask for a replacement?

All replies appreciated

2. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I bought mine in January this year, and I noticed flickering at about 100 hours of use. By 'flickering' I mean that the picture would get brighter for a second or so and then go back to normal again.

I've only noticed it when using a bright computer background, and it may have gone away now (about 130 hours use), or it may be that the films I've been watching don't show it.

I'm running in 'whisper' mode (ahem).

ps If I put the iris up to +10 it's pretty bright though! I can watch it in the day with the curtains open without much difficulty.

What kind of screen are you using? Do you see any 'vertical banding'?

3. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I find daytime viewing quite easy, though my room and window face the sun so i use a blackout blind from BnQ wharehouse - they cut them to size for you, though i got them to cut in a little larger - ie tight fit otherwise you get large gaps down the side that let light in.

I have 3 walls blue and one in an off white kinda colour - so just prject onto the wall...this way i can have the screen size what ever size i wish and its less fiddly - ie getting the picture to fit on a screen.

The flicker does happen on bright desktop background. I also have it set on 'normal' mode most of time - if i switch it to 'off' then the fan gets mega noisey!!!

I notice what i think they call the screen door affect, i thort it was like digital noise at first but i think screen door better describes it.

Though sky running through s-video i find i get a really nice rich vibrant picture great for sports.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    not filling me with confidence here. on about 40 hrs after 2 weeks use and i hope i dont see this flickering

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm afraid it goes with the territory! Stick around long enough and there will be a problem discussed about every PJ on the market. The flickering problem seems relatively rare, dust blobs and fan noise seem more common, VB comes and goes!
    ...PJ :)

6. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you think it is a warranty claim?

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    As it's clearly within 12 months then yes of course you can contact the retailer and see what they say. If I were you I'd see how it goes for a week or three, see if it becomes annoying...PJ

8. Top Hat

Top Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re ur brightness flicker; could it be anything to do with your local / house voltage? this can be a major problem for many electronic devices and is often overlooked. In this day and age it seems that common grid voltages are extremley sensitive to demand. Voltage difficulties which were not visible to the naked eye ( light bulbs ) almost destroyed some radio equipment belonging to me and rendered it usless, The radio was voltage sensitive and could measure the changes in the mains supply on one of its meters. In the long run the supply company aknowledged the fault and eventully sorted it. My TX 100 ( touch wood ) is 3 months old and runs perfect so far.........etc etc blah blah sorry for the long winded post ( my first ever ) but it may be worth looking into.The current is going to have a relationship to lamp brightness, there will be smoothing capacitors and transformers in the pj but they can only do a certain amount of work and a ripple on your supply could be cause problems. Maybe your 100 is fine !!.............. maybe the fault is a dodgy cap in the pj not able for the amount of ripple on the line

9. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i notcied flicker after about 150hrs, also dust blobs, worsening colour non-uniformity, so ive sent mine back to hitachi. They picked it up the day after i contacted them. They claimed a 5day turnaround, so it should be this week, i hope they replace it :) But im half expecting them to say that theres 'nothing wrong with it' and to try and bill me !

10. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    (Danjos)

Please let us know how you get on with this :thumbsup: and thanks for sticking your toe in the water.

Mine hasn't got dust blobs yet, and the brightness may have stabilised, but I'd like to know what Hitachi's attitude is likely to be just in case.

Best wishes

11. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think i will contact my retailer later this week when i get the chance, snowed under with work at the minute to deal with this.

I heard many good things about the customer service of Crampton & Moore (where i got it from) and their relationship with Hitachi so will hopefully be able to sort this out.

It seems to have either got worse/become far more noticeable over the weekend.

Its fine generally when watching films, just when im using it as big screen computer desktop hehehe that it gets this flicker

12. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok i got my tx100 back from the service centre after nearly 3 weeks.

Not impressed.

Dust blobs are gone - easy when you dont have a warranty prohibiting removal of the casing.

colour uniformity is a bit better, but far from perfect.

Lamp flicker is very much still present, tried it in work and at home and noticed it within a minute both times.

But the worst thing is they screwed with the lens shift.
    And im not the only one:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195286

The picture is not in the same place at all with the wheels centered. the wheels themselves are crunchy and stiff. The picture moves in a non-linear diagonal 'arc' and its a faff to get the picture in the position you want. Dont know how they managed it. Bunch of monkeys imo.
    Do i return it again? Im certainly not happy but it seems they are quite capable of making things worse! :(