1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX100 arrives tomorrow!!! one last question...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bonfigli, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just like to thank you guys for helping me make this decision over the last month.

Projector and screen arrive tomorrow, and I have ordered a component cable for my Progressive scan dvd player (sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't really)

One last question regarding speakers.

I don't have a clue regarding surround sound, my dvd player/recorder (liteon LVW5006) has a Optical digital cable out, and it says Dolby Digital on the front.

Does this mean the player does the "decoding" and I just need a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers with optical digital in??

As you see, I don't have a clue about speakers, I've seen a few different packages, but don't know if I'm looking at the right things.

Could I connect my Optical digital out to this piece of equipment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5761438599

This probably belongs on another board, but you guy's seem to know everything :D

Thanking you in advance

Bonfigli

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Sorry, don't have time cos I'm leaving work now. I had a quick look at that item
    and you'll need a surround reciever to go with the speakers (don't think there
    was reciever with them).

Basically you put the optical/coaxial feed from the DVD player to the reciever to get the Dolby 5.1/DTS surround which is then decoded and sent to your various speakers. Component is usually fed from the DVD to the reciever as well and then
    onto your TV/screen.

Hope this helps in some way. I'll have a look tomorrow when there's more time.

Also, I wouldn't rush into anything. There are some decent packages of reciever
    + speakers with or without DVD player. There isn't a huge choice of budget
    systems packages with just reciever & speakers, most have DVD as well.
    Work out your maximum you can afford and read reviews, do search on forums
    for products your interested in, and if you can, get a demo.

Good luck,

Tim.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Clarify what speakers / amp you already have and what budget (if any! ;)) you have to get your setup to full 5.1 - we'll do our best to help!

...PJ

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    a nice little Budget amp & Speakers will pair nicely with the machine ;) as PJ says a budget will help us help you. sometimes dont listen as we can ermmm pursuade you to spend more than you were first willing to do so :D i was originally keeping my old amp/dvd/speaker and getting a £600 epson Projector, look at the sig and see what i done :rotfl:

5. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response guy's.

Basically, I'm happy with my dvd player just now, and all I really need is some speakers to connect to the dvd player.

Unfortunately I don't have an amp, and here is the funny bit, I only have a budget of £150 for speakers.

So at the moment I have no way of listening to my dvd's while using the projector, hence why I thought the ebay set for £130 would do the trick :(

HELP!!!!! lol

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    in all honestly your going to be struggling to get some nice sound for that price unless you go for an all in one box. i cant comment on that system of ebay but you pays the money you takes the risk. its worth noting that is it worth wasting the 150 now when that could be saved plus added to for a nicer setup ? denon do a nice budget amp for under £190 with a nice set of tannoy speakers costing you another 150. i can say ive been in you shoes as i had my projector for 2 weeks before i bought my speakers and i could have easily done what your thinking. but im my mind i wasnt spending over a grand on one great component to let the whole system down with other poor one's. just my 2 p worth and probably not what you want to hear at all. i told you we make you spend money you dont have :devil: wait till the upgradeitis kicks in :rolleyes:

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    something like this will do the trick and will have an in built dvd player http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_20095.html

but your not going to get progressive scan from something that low budget i feel so you could get that and connect you exsisting DVD player to it as well (assuming it has optical in, but im sure most of them these days do at least have one), then you just have a usless dvd player but you dont have to worry about ebay and shipping from germany

hope this helps and any more Q's just fire away

edit another one thats in budget with Prog Scan PAL only

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SAM-HTDS470RH.htm

this ways seems like a better solution to a budget and at least you can get reviews for these systems and find one tailored for you

Jack (now tired from typing :devil: )

8. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  9. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    also I got a Marantz SR4300 5.1 amp from Richersounds for £200 that I am very happy with, the newer model sr4400 is only £169 at Richer Sounds you will have to buy the speakers extra but is a good amp, perhaps look for someone selling something similar second hand after an upgrade. (amps last very well unless they are abused)

10. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 years ago the flavour around here was the yamaha htib series which had a receiver and 5.1 speakers and bass box. this gave excellent sound for the money about £200. maybe theres one on ebay or you can find one cheap somewhere - they are fantastic for the money. i got i think the HTIB-45 package for £150 from empire in a sale 2 years ago (although they still havent charged my cc...) :)
    -checked and they are discontinued but they do similar ones now with dvd on board. that sony one mentioned above looks a good bet :)

11. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    seems a bit silly to me to have rush in, a decent stereo attached to your current dvd will still be good, it is not a crime to have two speakers instead of five (for a while anyway) I had my stereo amp attached to my dvd for ages before i moved over to 5.1.

12. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys for more great help.

I definitely want to go down the amp route at some point, but I have already kicked the arse out of my original £1000 budget for everything :eek:

Bauerctu,

Would I be right in saying that the following http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SAM-HTDS470RH.htm would be able to manage the 5.1 "encoding/decoding"???

Sounds like a good stop gap till my birthday :D

Bonfigli

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That should do the job but it's not multi region by the looks of it - there may be a hack though.

Richer sounds have a Toshiba system for the same price that is MR...

http://ws2.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TOSH-SD44HK-SIL

However if I were you I'd buy a budget AV receiver and speakers separately... Again there are some bargains on the Richer web site, elsewhere too I'm sure. This way you are not re-paying for a DVD player that you don't need...PJ

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    problem is here that for £150 your not getting very far in regards to separates. its a pity that unbeatable dont have the yamaha amp/speakers deal for £150 any more as that would be perfect.

edit just found it if you can stretch your budget a tiny amount more then your sorted http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html

this is perfect for you and its a separates system :D looks like we have done it

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    amazing value :thumbsup: ...PJ

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  17. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't get the two search links to work :confused:

The package looks good, but what is the benefit of having the receiver, never had one?

Does it do the "encoding" and produce better sound rather than the dvd/speaker package mentioned previously??

The price looks good though :thumbsup:

Bonfigli :clap:

18. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes the seperates will be better than the all in one box. the amplier will do all the ness audio decoding for you and it has 2 optical inputs to connect you DVD player to. have fun

19. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, that is the only way I can describe the joy I experienced when I displayed my PJTX100 onto my wall for the first time last night.

I ordered the Yamaha amp/speaker bundle today, and it arrives tomorrow.

And I fit the screen tonight :thumbsup:

Many thanks again for all the help.

No doubt I'll be back on tomorrow with more questions

Bonfigli :clap: :clap:

20. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    glad you like it. dont forget to add to the "show us yours" thread