TX100 air filter

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen one or two references to improved air filters being available for the TX. Anyone got further details? Where to buy etc.

Thanks...PJ

Unfortunately In my case the horse has already bolted and left behind
one of its hairs

I'd be surprised if the offending follicle wasn't already somewhere inside the unit after manufacture. Hard to see it getting through the existing filter.
Have your tried your Dyson assisted Scottish Mantra yet? :)
...PJ

Yes, and I have not triumphed, it remains lurking at the bottom of the screen
awaiting dark scenes so that it can wave its contempt for my efforts, in the
gentle breeze from the fan

There's a picture of the new filter arangement over on the Cine4Home site (www.cine4home.de) - it is an extra cloth filter fitted to the plastic filter 'door' if you see what I mean, in front of the existing foam one.

I think that it suggests that they don't know if it will be available as an accessory - Bablefish is not too clear at times - but it certainly looks as if it would be easily retrofittable.

It would be great if it was!

Also, there is a new projector test on Cine4Home with the Tx100, HS50, PT-AE700 , TW-200 and Z3 that is worth a look. HS50 comes out on top, with the TX100 in 2nd on points. Horses for courses of course, but it is interesting that despite the new kids on the block, the TX100 still can hold its own. It seems, mostly down to decent optics, well thought out picture adjustment possibilites and IMO, being a bit better set up 'out of the box' than some others are.

Whyshirley said:
I think that it suggests that they don't know if it will be available as an accessory - Bablefish is not too clear at times - but it certainly looks as if it would be easily retrofittable.

It would be great if it was!

I've sent an email to Hitachi to ask about this... won't hold my breath though...

Whyshirley said:
Also, there is a new projector test on Cine4Home with the Tx100, HS50, PT-AE700 , TW-200 and Z3 that is worth a look. HS50 comes out on top, with the TX100 in 2nd on points. Horses for courses of course, but it is interesting that despite the new kids on the block, the TX100 still can hold its own.

Sony is six hudred quid more, and newer, would be surprised for it not to be better.

Still amazed how many people look at the Panny and the Sanyo without giving a thought to the Hitachi....PJ

Mine came with the 2 stage filter (grey foam inside, thin white cloth in ridges on the outer grill). So far it's been ok - I've cleaned the filters at 100 hours and not yet got any dust on screen. I hope it stays ok. I'll probably clean it more often from now on (ie not just when reminded).

My lamp has started doing the "brighter for half a second" trick which is worrying. I don't think I saw it last night though, so maybe it's just a phase it was going through.

WonkyEwok said:
Mine came with the 2 stage filter (grey foam inside, thin white cloth in ridges on the outer grill). So far it's been ok - I've cleaned the filters at 100 hours and not yet got any dust on screen. I hope it stays ok. I'll probably clean it more often from now on (ie not just when reminded).

Got mine in Nov, no extra filter.

When did you purchase yours?...PJ

my 'lamp flicker' comes and goes, i do wonder if its temperature related?
But tbh i rarely notice it.

Lots of dust in there, will open it all up and clean it and hopefully fit a quieter fan when the warranty expires in a few months.

Reply from Hitachi...

"There is not a secondary air filter which we supply for the unit. You
should not get a problem with dust if you follow the correct procedure
when switching the projector off, that is to switch the projector of
using the on/off button, and allowing the projector fan to cool the unit
down then it will stop after about 2 minutes. After this point you can
unplug mains power."

I've replied asking how a procedure designed to cool the lamp can help with dust, also I've pointed out Wonky's comment that his came with 2 filters, and supplied the picture evidence from the cine4home web site. I'll see what comes next!...PJ

danjos said:
Lots of dust in there, will open it all up and clean it and hopefully fit a quieter fan when the warranty expires in a few months.

Have you got a plan with regard to the fan, or will you see when you get the top off? I only ask as mine is annoying - its about 1m above my head and I could do with it being quieter. Its the only thing I'm not 100% happy about on my TX100. I was just wondering if there is already known course of action you can take to quieten things down ?

As for PJ's reply from Hitachi - fills you with confidence, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

PJTX100 said:
Got mine in Nov, no extra filter.

When did you purchase yours?...PJ

The last week in January 2005. Mine has A123 crossed through on the sticker underneath - may indicate revision number or manufacture date?

Whyshirley said:
Have you got a plan with regard to the fan, or will you see when you get the top off? I only ask as mine is annoying - its about 1m above my head and I could do with it being quieter. Its the only thing I'm not 100% happy about on my TX100. I was just wondering if there is already known course of action you can take to quieten things down ?

As for PJ's reply from Hitachi - fills you with confidence, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

i have no fan plan as i do not know what to expect.
Best scenario is that its a fairly standard sized fan and its plugged into an easily accessible 5v/12v supply on the board. But it may well be soldered or awkward to get to. also it depends on why the fan is noisy; if its turbulence in the unit then theres not a lot that can be done but tbh in my case it certainly sounds like a noisy fan and possibly some vibration which maybe can be damped.

I have noticed that the air filter has been improved over time. I originally got a tx-100 last August. It only had the black filter. I then had to get the projector replaced because of dust blobs. I got a brand new unit with a newer manufacture date - this unit has the two stage filter with the extra white material on the back of the filter cover. This confirms what the German link above has shown.

Whyshirley said:

This is really beginning to annoy me now. Late at night when I have the sound fairly low (due to me being a considerate neighbour) the fan is so loud it can be difficult to hear things properly.

Even at fairly high sound levels, any quite spell in the movie is somewhat spoilt by the fan noise.

Would love to hear from anybody who has investigated the fan issue.

KL

keylion said:
This is really beginning to annoy me now. Late at night when I have the sound fairly low (due to me being a considerate neighbour) the fan is so loud it can be difficult to hear things properly.

Even at fairly high sound levels, any quite spell in the movie is somewhat spoilt by the fan noise.

Would love to hear from anybody who has investigated the fan issue.

KL
Even noisy in whisper mode?...PJ

PJTX100 said:
Even noisy in whisper mode?...PJ

Yeah. In normal mode it's like sitting under the wing of a 747 on take off!

Well, perhaps not quite that bad but in normal mode I bet it would prove annoying even with the sound up loud.

Now and again I check what setting it is on thinking I have switched it to normal mode by mistake.

KL

There's a "high altitude" setting too, presume that's not been activated?

I more often than not watch movies with the sound relatively low, and I never notice the fan which is approx 1m above my head. Looks like you've been unlucky and got one of the noisey TX's :( ...PJ

im going to attempt to have my unit replaced due to dust blobs, colour uniformity issues and lamp flicker, but im also hoping i get a quieter one :)

So did PJTX100 ever get a second reply from Hitachi regarding the secondary dust filter????? and is it available as a retro fit!

PIG JOE said:
So did PJTX100 ever get a second reply from Hitachi regarding the secondary dust filter????? and is it available as a retro fit!
No I never did. I'll try again by reporting it afresh via the web page, perhaps they don't reply to emails!
I'm sure it will be retro-fittable, seeing as that's what Hitachi seem to be going themselves!
...PJ

Had a think about this filter and may have a 'cunning plan'. Popped out to Wilko's at lunch and purchased a bag of 8 'Dyson" vaucuum dust filters for £3.99.
I think by using 2 and cutting to shape these should be as good as the Hitachi filter.
NOW here's the rub, on the filter is printed 'Origional 3M filter - Electrostatically charged' Ok sounds good for atracting all that dusty stuff BUT are there any techies on the forums that are going to tell me that this will freak out the electronics in the pj???
I can't see this myself but be good to get a second opinion.

PIG JOE said:
Electrostatically charged' Ok sounds good for atracting all that dusty stuff BUT are there any techies on the forums that are going to tell me that this will freak out the electronics in the pj???
I can't see this myself but be good to get a second opinion.
Can't see it affecting the electronics, the only thing to watch is that it doesn't affect the airflow to the point where it overheats... though it does have a temp sensor so it will trip out presumably if this happens before any damage is done...PJ

I dont think restricted airflow would be a problem! The Dyson filter is very thin, looks less dense than the Hitachi secondary filter shown on the cinema de site.
I see from a posting today someone is thinking about fitting a motor bike filter complete with a soaking of oil? Wow and I thought my idea was a bit off the wall.

PIG JOE said:
I see from a posting today someone is thinking about fitting a motor bike filter complete with a soaking of oil? Wow and I thought my idea was a bit off the wall.
:D
Yes, noticed that. Adds another dimension to the term "screen goo"...PJ :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom