1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX100, AE700, Z3..... confused

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by akerman, Nov 26, 2004.

1. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. Wow. I'm looking at a new television. First I was thinking plasma.. but couldn't find any HD-sets within my pricerange. Then I looked at LCD.. was almost set for a Sony, then I saw it in a store - the blacks were way too blue for me.

Ok - Now I'm thinking a good old-fashioned 32" CRT. But.. right now, I'm having trouble justifying paying £1000 for a measly 32" CRT, when I could get a 100" projector for the same price (save a hundred quid or so).

One of my mates bought a Hitachi PJ-TX100 some time ago - I like it. The picture is sharp and detailed. What bothered me was that the blacks weren't black - even when the room was totally dark, the light from the lit pixels also shone on the ones who were supposed to be black, making them dark-grey.

The Hitachi has a contrast of 1200:1. The new Panasonic AE700 has a contrast ratio of 2000:1. Will that be noticeably better?

Which projector would you guys recommend me, from:
    a) Panasonic PT-AE700
    b) Sanyo PLV-Z3
    c) Hitachi PJ-TX100

These are all within price-range, £1000-£1300 (Denmark).

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The Sony you saw was probably not the new HS50. This Sony has just been released and can be bought for £1570 online. It has a contrast ratio of 6000:1 !!! Yes, 6000:1.
    It has a HD resolution, HDMI connection ( for a pure digital video signal, no analogue conversion needed from an appropriate DVD player) and looks very nice too!
    If I was you, I'd definately audition this.
    Do keep in mind though, that all Home Cinema projectors should be used in blacked out conditions and are not recommended for daytime viewing.

Good luck in your decision. :thumbsup:

3. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep the Sony I saw was not a projector, it was an LCD screen (KLV-L32M1, to be exact) :)

I know about the new sony with 6000:1 - checked the price here: £2300. Too much :(

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Considered DLP? Their contrast ratio commonly looks much blacker for a given contrast ratio compared to LCD and the Infocus SP4805 is only £1300. Otherwise I'd go for the Z3 as the AE700 seems to have VB(verticle Banding) problems

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    There are quite a few decisions you'll have to make about a projector before you decide on this or that model.

Price, connectivity, throw ratio, projection angle, lumen power, contrast, resolution, technology type.......and so on!
    The more precisely you can define your requirements (being realistic of course - we'd all like a HD 6000:1 true contrast ratio projector with an optically perfect 5x zoom and lens shift and every connection you can think of for £500 :) ) the easier it will be to sort through the myriad of available models.

6. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read at projector central that the VB shouldn't really be an issue for normal viewing? :/
    I think I have my criterias down...the three projectors I'm looking at all fit the criteria - except I'd like blacker blacks than the TX100 =)

By the way - what is the refresh rate for a typical LCD projector? I can't find info on that anywhere... LCD monitors all list refresh rates, why not projectors? It's a pretty important aspect if you're considering playing games on it.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Refresh rate on my AE700 is fast enough for games I assure you, running off Xbox it looks great and in PC's they can be set from 50-70Hz with variable results.

The majority of AE700's (seems the newer ones) dont seem to have any particularly noticable VB. Mine has only showed it once and that was after I had played with it, after i put the settings back it disappeared.