TX-P42ST30B optical output

Wiggers42

Novice Member
I'm unable to use my Freesat box currently and so I thought I would try connecting the TV directly to the hi-fi. I've connected the optical cable but I'm unable to get any signal.

In the manual it talks about using the Viera Link menu, but that fails to open. The HDMI cable is connected to a BluRay player currently.

Any ideas how to fool the TV into cooperation?

mikej

Viera Link settings are only relevant to the HDMI connection, so shouldn't affect sound output over the optical out.

Starting with the basics - is the optical cable known to be working ? Does it emit a red light at the amp end when connected to the TV ? (Don't look directly at it but maybe shine it on something ?) Is it located in both sockets correctly (it should 'click' I think ?) and have the protective end-caps been removed ? Apologies if any of these are obvious, but they've all caught people out before !

Have you sussed the SPDIF Selection option in the sound menu ? From memory (it's been a while since I used my GT30), the options are Auto or you can fix it as PCM. Your hi-fi amp will need to be able to decode the signal it's receiving so you could check the amp's specs.

When outputting sound to an external AVR via the HDMI ARC, you have to switch the sound from 'TV' to 'Home Cinema' in the TV's sound menu. I don't know whether this setting also applies to the optical out, but it might be worth a look.

Wiggers42

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestions.

There is red light from the end of the optical cable at the hi-fi end. It's the same cable I use with the Freesat box and that was ok. Having said that, the reason I'm currently without the Freesat box is that the digital audio failed. I have tested the optical input in the hifi with a Chromecast audio. I've not been able to test the optical cable itself elsewhere, but it is a good quality one.

Spdif is set to PCM.

The only cinema settings are in the Picture group.

I've heard this evening that a replacement Freesat box is on its way so I'll probably give up on this.

Thanks again,

Mark

mikej

There is red light from the end of the optical cable at the hi-fi end. It's the same cable I use with the Freesat box and that was ok. Having said that, the reason I'm currently without the Freesat box is that the digital audio failed. I have tested the optical input in the hifi with a Chromecast audio. I've not been able to test the optical cable itself elsewhere, but it is a good quality one.

Spdif is set to PCM.

The only cinema settings are in the Picture group.

I've heard this evening that a replacement Freesat box is on its way so I'll probably give up on this.

OK. Have you tried setting SPDIF to Auto rather than locking it to PCM ? And are there any settings on the amp to contend with or is it as simple as selecting the optical input ?

It might have been a good idea to check the optical cable before ordering a new Freesat box ! ;) :D

Wiggers42

Novice Member
I think it was on Auto when I first tried it, then changed it. The hifi end is a nanoDIGI digital crossover and that is simply a case of selecting coax or optical. I have had issues with it in the past, but it has been OK recently as tested with Chromecast. The Freesat box was crashing the crossover, I kept having to reset it.

The problem with so many components is trying to figure out where the fault might lie, especially when it seems intermittent and there are limited ways you can rearrange things. I can see why people go and buy an all-in-one thingy for a simple life...

mikej

Yes, what a pain ! An AVR is a far simpler and more convenient solution I find, but I can also appreciate why audiophiles might want to use their existing gear for the TV AV side of things :)

Wiggers42

Novice Member
My speakers don't have crossovers, so I need a digital one. I did find an Onkyo amp that had configurable crossovers. I found a couple on eBay but they were asking silly money. Plus I'd have $$$$ worth of DACs and amps that would be redundant.

Wiggers42

Novice Member
I have received a replacement Freesat box and the optical output works perfectly. No idea what was going on with the TV output.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom