TX-P42G20B Plasma Freeview

tony1oc

Standard Member
Hi All

I have a G20B great tv, but I am in the republic of Ireland who have just started to trial broadcast a freeview ( Saorview service MPEG4 )to supposedly 90% of the country, in the spec of this tv it appears that this tv can decode both MPEG2 & 4 I have tried to tune the freeview without success I have also e-mailed panasonic the same question about 2 weeks ago without a response. I am now wondering if I am among the unlucky 10% although I am lead to believe my local transmitter(Malin Head) is broadcasting digital.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks for any help

Tony

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The spec from the UK&Ireland Panasonic site is - to say the least - incomplete and possibly misleading. VIERA Flat Screen TV - NeoPDP Plasma TV - TX-P42G20B - Specification - UK & Ireland

The spec in the product booklet might be better....??

The TV appears to support DVB-T H264 for HD in some countries - but the UK, Ireland (or even Eire) are not listed at all!! You might be able to set the install country to one that is supported - but menus would be in another language.

Panasonic claim Freeview HD (Freeview is UK&NI system not the one used in S. Ireland (Eire) - but then don't mention DVB-T2 which is essential for the UK&NI! Confusing? You bet!

Malin Head isn't listed for DTT here RTÉ Network Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but you should check with RTE or someone more official...

tony1oc

Standard Member
rodders

Thanks for your advice,looks like I will have to await freesat trial some time next year, it is so annoying not being able to receive the national broadcasting service through a digital service it is a rip off to have to pay for a subscribtion service such as sky to achieve this. again the irish public have to rely on uk services for quality broadcasts.

All the best

Tony.

PS. None of the irish broadcasters are making much of an effort to advertise the fact ireland has to go digital by 2012 just as the rest of the EU.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I've read somwhere that Panasonic UK (& Ireland) don't seem to understand that Eire's DTT service is slightly different to the UK's (technically).... that Panasonic TVs sold in Eire don't support the Saorview standards and Panasonic support have (tried) to wash their hands of the issue because the don't understand the problem.

It might be worth searching here and the digitalspy forums to see what you can unearth?

tony1oc

Standard Member
Hi Folks

Just an update on Saorview (Irelands DVB) I have a panasonic TX-P42G20B Plasma TV obviously a uk model. I have attempted to tune the freeview tuner into the saorview service since last October when RTE were launching a pilot DVB service. Last Sunday I retuned and picked up all the Saorview channels on a set top antenna from the Malin Head Transmitter. Fantastic no more Sky subscription to receive national TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom