Question tx-p37x20b Panny Plasma, can't find sound menu??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by IWANTBLUE, Aug 26, 2018.

1. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well more specifically I can't find the particular section of the sound menu and it's driving me mad, spent over a couple of hours going over and over the same things, not finding what I was looking for :( in two sittings as the first time i didn't have the book to hand (its hardly rocket science is it!!!)

The second time I had the book and still couldn't find it.. :( So help a numpty brother out and point out the obvious please as I'm sure it's hiding in plain sight... it must be...

Ok to the problem, my mums old Panny plasma have it connected to a pioneer vsx 500 I think it is amplifier and a kef eg surround set up, basic I know but it does the job for her :) every now and again she presses something and gets the remotes in a pickle etc and I pop round and a couple f button presses later its all working again, but on this occasion I'm stuck, as the settings I want to check just aren't there??

Ok so the Tv is Viera and pioneer obviously isn't, but I have the tivo connected to hdmi1, all is well...

I have the amplifier connected to hdmi2 (arc) and obviously not through Viera, but they have always talked together just fine (apart from after a bit of inadvertent button pressing ;) which i recify in a few seconds when called upon LOL...

HOWEVER ON THIS OCCASION THEY HAVE STOPPED COMMUNICATING AS REGARDS NO SOUND TO THE AMPLIFIER and no on off auto switching which has always happened just fine..I have connected an optical spidf as well as the ARC for sound to the amplifier and in a setting, at some point, I have set volume to adjust amplifier not TV as well as selecting amplifier sound only and all has played well for years.

In trying to sort this out I have been through the sound settings and the setup settings and never come across the spidf selector or the pcm optical level or anything which selects sound to optical or hdmi, or select amplifier volume etc...(although that could be a tivo setting?? which in effect bypasses the tv volume?? I digress, please help me to locate these menu settings as i think that's the reason they are not communicating and we are left with tv sound only, no amplifier sound...

looking again at the book today I see that it says when DVB menu selected only, so I just tried face timing to get her to check this but it was all getting a bit fraught so ill have to wait till I go over again, please help a fella out :)

Thanks,

2. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Noone help at all?? im sure its something silly, but I just can't find the function for choosing the sound choice?? (as in TV or amplifier? I think its obviously some sort of pro-choice that has inadvertently been switched, that means the setting im after doesnt even show up??

3. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Have you tried the HDMI and optical cable hasn't come loose ..??

4. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    unplugged and resited them all yeah , didn't find anything remotely loose or problematic :(

That was my first thought, that the additional 'arc' functionality had been lost , but then when i couldn't even find the sound function that lets me choose HDMI or Optical for the sound that's used for output, and or the one for choosing whether TV or amplifier sound was used when pressing the TV sound buttons, i realised I'm a bit of the menu missing or temporarily not showing at least??

5. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hhhmmm... that's all I could think of as it's going through the av receiver... my denon in front room is a bit old and have to repress the option ie. Tv for surround as sometimes get a blank screen and the other Pioneer ones I own are alot easier to navigate through the menus for speaker setup.. even on the correct source is there no sound..?? Could it have been somehow put back to factory reset ... ?? Sound levels for speakers gone down..

6. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for persevering :) yes, I select the correct input, but no sound on the amp... even though i have spdf connected too... but that's the thing I can't find the menu option that chooses HDMI/spdf either/... maybe the hdmi is defunct? as unlikely as that seems? I don't think ive tried a new hdmi, unfortunately, I've just snapped my Achilles Tendon so am now in a cast for 10 weeks non-weight bearing and no driving, so won't be over there for a while :(

7. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Jeez... :eek: wish you all the best in recovery..

8. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Select <Viera Link> (CEC) with TV remote (may be <APPS> then <Viera Link> on some TVs?)
    Should then be offered <Speaker Selection> options of [TV] or [Home Cinema] to select the amp system?

My GT60 offers [SPDIF Selection] under sound menu in Freeview TV viewing mode [Auto or PCM] are the options I get; this setting applies to both the hdmi arc and the optical outs. Mine is set to Auto to pass 5.1 when available. That option isn't available on my AV amp input to the TV.

Pioneer call CEC Kuro Link, if the receiver has this it should be on as well as ARC enabled on the amp plus Viera Link on the TV. Both devices may need a full power off reset after enabling CEC and ARC.

Receiver would need to have the correct optical assigned to the TV hdmi rather than using ARC and likely have to have CEC turned off too?

9. IWANTBLUE

IWANTBLUE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's a great help thanks Rodders' my 'lift' is back from holiday now so hopefully I can get over and give those routes a try...I seem to remember in the past that there were different menus depending on whether you were on tv/hdmi/digital .etc..so can only think when I've been chanel hopping I've missed a simple step by being in the wrong place at the start...
    Normally when my mum inadvertently clicks the wrong button then compounds it by pressing more I'm able to suss it straight away but no joy this time...

Thanks for at least trying to dig me out of hole