TX-NR636 Atoms Upmixing capability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mikeh08, Nov 11, 2016.

1. mikeh08

mikeh08
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi can someone just confirm does the NR636 have upmixing capability ? I'm just about to buy some new Pioneer Atmos speakers. I have updated the firmware on the 636 so that should make it Atmos compatible but before I spend a lot of money on replacing my speakers I would like to understand if the 636 can attempt to upmix standard 5.1 from Bu-ray or skyq and use the upward firing speakers. Obviously I don't expect this to be anywhere as good as true Atmos content but if it means I'll get daily use from the speakers then its worth the money to upgrade

Thanks

Mike

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,616
    Yes. The receiver has a mode that can be used to upmix soundtracks not encoded with native Atmos metadata. The Dolby Surround mode is the mode in question:

This mode will create pseudo 3D immersive audio that will utilise your 2 additional ceiling, upward firing or height speakers as ordinarilly utilised by an Atmos speaker configuration.