TX-L32DT30B Picture Elongation

centurn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a Panny TX-L32DT30B and a DMR-HW100EBK. Probably a bit disappointed with the PQ of each, though as this is a second tv for the study, will learn to live with it, except that when viewing on the PVR tuner though DVB/Freeview there is a noticable picture elongation issue. (Haven't tried the box on my TX-P42VT10 yet). Anyone come across this, or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Don't know either model. Not sure what you mean by elongation. But could some menu be set to wide screen or not wide screen when it is not appropriate.

Thanks for the reply, Bow, but this isn't a 16:19 vs 4:3 issue. It's not that extrreme. By elongation I mean that faces/bodies etc are slighlty longer in the length than they should be. It's not dramatic, yet it's striking.

Is the TV on the Auto aspect setting?

Poor picture quality possibly indicates that the aspect setting is on one of the zoom settings

Hi Gavtech. Yes, the TV is on Auto aspect, and the PVR is on 16:9. Nice demonstration of the issue today, in which two noughts were displayed on a gameshow podium. Viewed on the TV tuner they were circular, whilst on the PVR tuner they were distinctly oval. The viewing experience is not acceptable. Will be either going back to the shop or else writing off to Panasonic.

Hi Gavtech. Yes, the TV is on Auto aspect, and the PVR is on 16:9. Nice demonstration of the issue today, in which two noughts were displayed on a gameshow podium. Viewed on the TV tuner they were circular, whilst on the PVR tuner they were distinctly oval. The viewing experience is not acceptable. Will be either going back to the shop or else writing off to Panasonic.

Is the unit connected by HDMI?

Yes, it is. But as that's a thought, I've just tried a cheapo hdmi lead vs 'quality' hdmi lead, for each of two of the TV's 4 slots. Excellent test material: harry hill :) The test is conclusive: picture elogation on the pvr. Just been down to the store - they will test if I take it in tomorrow. Will report back on the outcome.

Is it worth trying a reset of the HW100 before you do? - just in case there is some odd setting which is impacting on this problem.

Well it was worth a try! Initialised back to shipping condition: no change. Can't find any other www comments on the issue, so the assumption for time being must be that I've a rogue box (or possibly tv inputs?).

Apologies for not having raised the issue on the main thread - overlooked that.

Thank you very much for your support.

Problem solved, up to a point. If the TV aspect settings are set to 16:9 (PVR also set to 16:9), then when switching between TV and PVR the picture is the same size. However, if the TV aspect is set to auto, it does some processing of the PVR signal to stretch the picture. It goes back to 16:9 when the TV aspect is set to 16:9. In short the solution is to keep the TV aspect always on 16:9. Not sure that this should be so, but that's the way it is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom