TX-55HZ2000 - Worth the extra money?

cs2008

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about to make the move to OLED, and have decided on Panasonic because of its good out-of-the-box colour accuracy and excellent above black detail. But which model to buy? Is it worth getting the HZ1500 or HZ2000 over the HZ1000 base model? There is quite a big difference in price, but I would be keeping the TV for several years.

Do you have an external sound system ?

If not, the main benefit to choosing the HZ1500 over the HZ1000 is it's built-in soundbar and upward-firing Atmos speakers on the rear. It won't sound as good as a dedicated Atmos system with separate speakers but it will be a big improvement over the HZ1000's standard stereo speakers. I'm not sure if there any any other differences between the two models so if you do have an external sound system then, seeing as they both use the same OLED panel, there's probably no point in paying extra for a feature you won't use.

The HZ2000 gets you Panasonic's custom OLED panel, a better processor and a more powerful Technics-tuned Atmos sound system than that found on the HZ1500 , so if you want the very best picture performance that Panasonic had to offer in 2020 along with the best built-in surround sound experience, then the HZ2000 is the one to go for. If you do already have an external sound system, then it would mainly be the custom pro panel you're paying the extra for. If the differences in picture quality between the HZ1000 and HZ2000 are similar to the differences between my GZ950 and the GZ2000, then they will be subtle and not huge.

One thing to be aware of is that the new JZ models are due to be released in the next few months and stocks of the HZ models will start to run out so I wouldn't delay your choice too long if you want a 2020 model in order to get better value for money, otherwise you'll be paying full (or nearly full) RRP for the JZs for a while.

Thanks for the info.

I decided to go for the HZ1500 for the better sound at just £200 more than the HZ1000, compared with £800 more for the HZ2000. There have been some reports of the HZ2000 having slightly odd audio performance too.

I do have an external sound system, albeit stereo not surround sound (Audiolab/Dali based), and I feed the sound from my current TV through it sometimes. But for general use, I just use the TV's internal speakers.

Thanks for the info.

I decided to go for the HZ1500 for the better sound at just £200 more than the HZ1000, compared with £800 more for the HZ2000. There have been some reports of the HZ2000 having slightly odd audio performance too.

I do have an external sound system, albeit stereo not surround sound (Audiolab/Dali based), and I feed the sound from my current TV through it sometimes. But for general use, I just use the TV's internal speakers.
You’ll enjoy the HZ1500. Picture quality is stellar and the sound is surprisingly good. With the upward firing speakers, you get a spacious sound experience and the bass is pretty good too. I have the 65inch version and love it. Design wise, I personally find the HZ1500 with its discrete soundbar below the screen more stylish than the HZ1000.

You’ll enjoy the HZ1500. Picture quality is stellar and the sound is surprisingly good. With the upward firing speakers, you get a spacious sound experience and the bass is pretty good too. I have the 65inch version and love it. Design wise, I personally find the HZ1500 with its discrete soundbar below the screen more stylish than the HZ1000.
Do the new Models have Apple Air Play 2 compatibility this year?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom