Question TX-55HZ1000B - Recommended picture settings?

andyfr

Two days before Christmas our TX-55CX680B just stopped working, changed the fuse in the plug but still nothing. After a quick call to the local Panasonic shop I went and bought a TX-55HZ1000B.

In the past I have checked on the forum for recommended picture settings, are there any for the TX-55HZ1000B?

It's a great picture out of the box but would be nice to know if there were any tweaks. :)

Dan in Bxl

Standard Member
I have the HZ1500 version which picture wise is exactly the same as the HZ1000. For Dolby Vision I use the dark setting and for all other content Filmmaker mode. They are said to be the most accurate. In my view, however, they both are a bit on the dark side and therefore I slightly tweaked the gamma settings. They are now just that bit brighter.

Last edited:

andyfr

Try what Dan suggested and see what you think. I find for watching broadcast TV the Normal setting is fine. I haven't tried any DVDs yet so will try different setting then.

thesquale

Try what Dan suggested and see what you think. I find for watching broadcast TV the Normal setting is fine. I haven't tried any DVDs yet so will try different setting then.
will do. I am not watching regular TV though. just DVD/BD and streaming. thank you !

CaptainJames

Normal should be avoided, it is far too blue and has a number of undefeatable processing gizmos switched on by default.

For a more accurate picture, use Pro 1, Warm 2, IFC Min, Luminance 50, everything else at default, all other bells and whistles switched off. Filmmaker mode is designed to give an "as the director intended" picture, if you tweak it then you are defeating the object of using it and it is no longer as intended.

andyfr

Normal should be avoided, it is far too blue and has a number of undefeatable processing gizmos switched on by default.

For a more accurate picture, use Pro 1, Warm 2, IFC Min, Luminance 50, everything else at default, all other bells and whistles switched off. Filmmaker mode is designed to give an "as the director intended" picture, if you tweak it then you are defeating the object of using it and it is no longer as intended.

Thanks for that, I'll give that a try later. :)

KPG1

Standard Member

I have an HZ1000 coming this week. I'm sure this is a daft question but do you have to download the Pro 1 settings - how are they accessed?

Also still trying to get my head around the best way to play 24fps content, since there seems to be conflicting advice elsewhere. Any special tweaks for that?

Many thanks.

Zombie Twin

I have an HZ1000 coming this week. I'm sure this is a daft question but do you have to download the Pro 1 settings - how are they accessed?

Also still trying to get my head around the best way to play 24fps content, since there seems to be conflicting advice elsewhere. Any special tweaks for that?

Many thanks.

Pro1 is just one of the standard picture settings, just like "Vivid" and that sort of thing, all accessible from the menu.

KPG1

Standard Member
Pro1 is just one of the standard picture settings, just like "Vivid" and that sort of thing, all accessible from the menu.
Great, thanks. I'm not much of a tweaker if I can help it but of course I want to get the most from the TV.

CaptainJames

Many thanks.
Only thing to be aware of for 24Hz is when playing Blu rays, do not use the "1080p pure direct" setting on the TV. Sounds counter intuitive, but it buggers up the frame rate processing for some reason and causes judder.

KPG1

Standard Member
Only thing to be aware of for 24Hz is when playing Blu rays, do not use the "1080p pure direct" setting on the TV. Sounds counter intuitive, but it buggers up the frame rate processing for some reason and causes judder.
Noted, thanks. So are the out-of-the-box settings appropriate for 24fps content? I'll be watching a lot of DVDs and downloaded video files (in the knowledge that a lot of these will be compromised by the upscaling).

CaptainJames

Noted, thanks. So are the out-of-the-box settings appropriate for 24fps content? I'll be watching a lot of DVDs and downloaded video files (in the knowledge that a lot of these will be compromised by the upscaling).
Yes and no. The 4:4:4 24hz output of a Blu ray is the only thing to trigger the pure direct setting that I'm aware of, so you need to go into settings and switch off the first time you watch one - for any other source it is greyed out.

The upscaling on the TV is very good, although obviously there's a limit as to what it can do with standard def.

KPG1

Standard Member
Yes and no. The 4:4:4 24hz output of a Blu ray is the only thing to trigger the pure direct setting that I'm aware of, so you need to go into settings and switch off the first time you watch one - for any other source it is greyed out.

The upscaling on the TV is very good, although obviously there's a limit as to what it can do with standard def.
Yes, I've come to terms with the likelihood/inevitability of picture degradation with some of the content I watch, but that should be a small price to pay.

KPG1

Standard Member
Reading through my notes made while trawling reviews and watching HDTV videos, I have this written under 'intelligent frame creation':

Film smooth - for 24Hz de-judder

Have I interpreted that setting correctly and has anybody tried it in the real world? The word 'smooth' makes me anticipate SOE...

CaptainJames

Reading through my notes made while trawling reviews and watching HDTV videos, I have this written under 'intelligent frame creation':

Film smooth - for 24Hz de-judder

Have I interpreted that setting correctly and has anybody tried it in the real world? The word 'smooth' makes me anticipate SOE...
You can set it under custom in IFC. Why not try it yourself?

KPG1

Standard Member
You can set it under custom in IFC. Why not try it yourself?
I will once I get the set. Was just curious whether it was a tried-and-tested setting. I'm upgrading from a very straightforward and ageing TV with a limited range of options.

CaptainJames

I will once I get the set. Was just curious whether it was a tried-and-tested setting. I'm upgrading from a very straightforward and ageing TV with a limited range of options.
Some people use it, some don't. IFC is very much a subjective setting.

CaptainJames

Some people use it, some don't. IFC is very much a subjective setting.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom