1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX-36PG50 borders/lines onscreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by encaser, Mar 15, 2001.

1. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hello, has anyone else got a 36pg50 (or smaller) and noticed in darkening/dark scenes viewed in a darkened room you can see lines on screen? I have a horizontal (2-3 cm)and vertical (2-3 inch wide) noticeable in dvds. And two vertical lines, which I think are actually outer edges of a central block that is slightly lighter than the outer edges - and it isn't an aspect thing cause they are there regardless of ratio. Plus a central line in all viewing types, particularly in progressive scan.
    But apart from that in dif lighting/scenes it's great. Let's sob mate!
    Any known solutions or similar experiences any one?
    I've wrote to panny but still waiting reply after got an initial 'not known to us', cheers.

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    hi, yes there is a hum and it's the internal speaker putting it out and ye s it is general, I've spoken with other owners. You may also find you'll notice a slight high pitched ring in simulated surround mode - easiest way to find is to put in av channel with no source on the go and turn up the volume. It's another general thing.
    You'll probably notice the lines at some stage in the dark on a darkish background. Again I've spoken with others who've got it too. One guy said the easiest way to see by just playing a solid static 'background' from DVD, play (ie with no disc) any
    background colour and vary red, blue and green levels. They show up 'best'(?)only with certain colours eg grey and royal blue especially in a darkened room.
    He and another had probs with colour tinted areas and are getting replacements today so try perhaps a static white background for a short period to see if you get this.
    The set seems to have some unsorted issues so beware. But it does offer some great pictures.
    encaser

3. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've tried 2 of these in my home now with problems too numerous to mention, including those that you list (thought the audio problem wasn't so noticeable on mine). I'm now getting a refund from John Lewis. This is so dissapointing because in theory this is a cracking set, and it looks good as a piece of furniture too.

4. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recieved my Panasonic TX36PG50 this week and i haven't seen the picture problems you describe. Overall I am very pleased with the set but one thing I would like to know is have you or anybody else noticed the slight hum coming from inside the set. This is not audible when the sound is off completely but with it on just a notch and in surround mode. It is not that noticable but I would like to confirm that this is normal for this set.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hello there, yes I know exactly what you mean. I've had 3 now and have had enough. I've spoke with a couple of others who all share similar troubles and are hacked off with piddling about with all their other gear and treating the damn pg like the Anointed One only to find the little/big bugger IS the guilty party. I bet they don't release this in the States - Postal shootings Ahoy!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Mine hums too. Have also noticed that if you select a AV input with no source and turn the sound up you can hear the channel you would be watching if you had it switched to the RF input.
    Cracking set, but they should have sorted this sort of thing out first. Can't be doing much good for Panasonic's reputation.....
    Can't be bothered with it any longer, gonna start looking for a replacement.........

7. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys for putting my mind at rest about the hum. Only had the set about 4 days and I haven't really tested it properly yet but watched Alien Resurrection DVD last night and didn't notice any picture problems.
    On the subject of not being able to store PNR to ON, I also have an 8 year old Panasonic TX25A2X which has PNR function on it and it is the only picture setting that can't be stored either.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hey there PG Vets! What we all need is some decent competition from other manufacturers, instead of this underling race in which most of us are losing either way with varying trifles. I wonder if the technology is really with us yet for decent 36" crt's?
    From what Video and Tv said even the 32" variant seems to have lines. What have Panasonic done, taken on some church glass window maker whose following tradition and joining bits for the set to fire off!?
    I'm even considering trying Watch Dog just to shame Panasonic into making a response instead of their standard, 'problem not knwn to us, talk to your reseller' emails to myself and other owners.
    Bah hum bug!

9. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    encaser/Keiron as you may gather from my previous posts i've also had 2 TX36PG50's now and also had enough! Just wondered what you plan to replace it with? I'm currently on a waiting list for the Sony.

Nick Drew - I'm glad your happy with it, maybe you got a good un? Don't look for these problems and just enjoy it!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubt if Panasonic can use the "not known to us" anymore seeing as they have been informed by more than one "cheesed off" customer already.
    Will be interesting to see what my reply from Panasonic says!

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well, I spoke to my reseller after giving them a week to 'talk to Panasonic' and, drum roll please, yes you guessed it "These sets have no known problems to us - except may be a hum". Yeah hum in bloody deed. My reseller wants to 'talk with Panasonic' again to se if they will yield. More chance of world nations Governments opening up than Panasonic. I wonder if they hire out covert ops squads FOR governments!?
    What to do...

12. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What DVD player do you have ...
    I have noticed some nasty effects on skintones with a Samsung 709 DVD player on certain films.
    I noticed this with a panasonic tx32pk20 set - however I subsequently found out that it occurs on other sets - but only when in RGB mode from the 709. It problem disappears in composite or SVideo modes.

Could this be a similar problem - try the DVD in composite mode out of interest anyway.

DEclanh

13. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It's not the dvd at fault it's the tv, see above with others who've noted lines etc. Plus I've tried dif players and connections and so have others. And, moreover, lines happen under various sourcing.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'd be sorting out your player if I was you, ala if it's still under warranty get 'em to check you aint got a naff rgb socket. Or perhaps your player is just not good at rgb, any reviews for it?
    p.s. this isn't meant as a digging repost, sounds so though I have to admit.

14. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I think that my problem is that the Samsung 709 is not good at RGB. Others have reported it (so its not a problem with my particular player)- it only happens under certain conditions in a few films (always with flesh tones - usually in candlelight)

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Not exactly a surprise move for Panasonic to go from 'not known to us' to 'oh yeah, no worries mate it's inherrant. And please enjoy the humming. Ta Ta'.
    A sneaky way of shifting the fault/blame away to outer bounds. That's a boll**** reply 'cause either they are acting dumb and saying he must mean hum of the set reverbing down (YEAH, LIKELY), or my second (and First guess) the buck moves away so you can't complain to any agent. *uckers, they really are. My reseller wants to talk to Panasonic AGAIN. But I'm thinking what's the point. They just give the 'not known' or pass the buck off response to resellers. But now - after no doubt complaints from resellers - resellers are gonna love Panny for this latest move 'cause they too are absolved from blame ergo cost -> customer like it or lump it.
    GGRRR

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the reply I got from Panasonic about the humming from the speakers
    "Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to say that this humming is present with all 100Hz sets, and is an
    inherent effect encountered by this type of TV.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,
    Customer Support"
    What do you reckon to that?

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines also started "ignoring" the Remote Control and the front panel buttons at random intervals. You have to power it off and then back on again to restore control.
    Spooky!

18. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yep had that too a couple of times, usually when got self comfy.
    I'd forgot about that one, what with all the other stuff. Still mine (3rd) goes back tomorrow - perhaps the sun really will come out then!? Also noticed my geometry has decided to try and pin cushion its self at the top in 4:3, which is nice.
    Got to say Panasonic have done a quite stirling job with these, barely an area untouched with no fault. Well it is suppose to be the Titanic of its series after all.
    Time to sit on the floor and tell sad stories...let's sob mate.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have rejected mine aswell. Can't see how my reseller can argue against this sort of evidence, ie, the reasons it's being rejected are also being experienced by other owners. These Bulletin Boards have proved to be very useful.
    Shame though, if they'd got it right I reckon it had the potential of being a great set.
    What do you reckon you'll go for next?

20. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I was thinking may be valium for the lows and/or dexedrine for the highs!
    Shame Panasonic don't read+pay attention to these boards. The delivery guy informed me that a load of these sets are making a return visit. Perhaps there is Government collusion with Pana to keep more Welsh employed!
    As for next set I don't really know, there isn't a 36 that'll touch this one for picture at the moment - minus its flaws of course. I think I'll wait a bit, rather than risk a comfort buy on a smaller set, to see what new stuff comes out over the next few months. The 32's look well small to 36's. And I'm definately not buying a bloody rp set before any one suggests that!
    So where did I leave that child proof cap...

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to send mine back, inview of all the "funnies" and problems. According to my reseller its "working within manufacturers specifications"
    All I can say is beware anyone who's thinking about buying one.
    Shame really, had they got it right it certainly has the potential of being a winner.
    It's too much money to accept 2nd best though. Logic would dictate that it has software problems, if the "lock ups" are anything to go by........