1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TX-100 in for repair..examples of Hitachi Service required?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pgre, Nov 10, 2004.

1. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..

I had a load of Dust blobs on my TX-100 and it only had about 100 hours on it.. so it went in for repair. Although I had to keep calling in the end they said they were waiting for parts..

I thought this was strange since I thought they would just clean the PJ..
    The ETA on the parts is December.. !!

Anyway I have a TX-10 as a loan machine (which is nowhere near as good but at least I get a loan machine)

Anyone else had similar experience when sending in for Dust blob service ?

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Had one with a discoloration to the prism in the optical jobbyface something or other. Took them 2 days to just work out what I was talking about and they did agree to repair the unit, but it took a month for the parts to get in. Once the parts were in I was told it would be ready for my customer in the next two days, he got it in four which all in all isn't bad (far better than using someone like Barron McCann, or getting Panasonic to fix something!).

3. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well lets hope that I had a problem all along.. since it was great before (apart from the dust blobs of course)

I think the key is just keep ringing them, they do seem relatively responsive and managed to get a loan unit reletively quickly.

It's interesting to see a different projector though.. the TX10 is no where near as good... I guess not suprisingly as its an older model.. but at least it allows you to notice the progression of technology.

4. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I rang up, they said they'd pick up my machine the next day. They didn't. I rang up again, and they took my details again and said they would pick up the unit the following day, again. They didn't. Haven't heard anything since a month later. It's only 1 green dust blob which isn't really noticable which I can live with for now.

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I have experience of Hitachi service for my TX100.

They have had my unit twice, and collected it on both occasions when scheduled. Unfortunately, when I booked it in the first time, the service dept sounded very vague about what a TX100 was. They rang me back a few hours later to say I had made a mistake, as they didn't have a TX100 in their line up. I did express my concern (having pointed to their own website) about whether they had the knowledge to clean it, they assured me it would be OK.

The first time it went in, it was for dust blob removal. It came back a week later without the dustblobs being removed. I only sent it in as I didn't want to open it and void the warranty. It also came back with a few minor problems so they collected it a 2nd time.

This time they explained they had to get new parts (only to remove the dust blobs, not related to the other issues), it took 3 weeks in total to return.

Now heres the rub. A few weeks later I had more dust blobs, however, I had read on another forum that taking the air filter off, and blowing around inside would remove them. I tried this and it worked perfectly. I have used the same method since as well.

I may be sceptical, but Hitachi contract their work out to Servicecare (thats who you are ringing when you book it in). I either believe:
    a) they don't understand the unit needs a simple clean
    b) they don't know how to clean it
    c) they get far more money by ordering lots of replacement parts and charging Hitachi the labour to fit them

My tip is try the air filter blow out before thinking of ringing Servicecare.

6. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried blowing air around the unit several times but the blobs wouldn't shift.. A good theory though about the "book" work to Hitachi though and make some cash...

The real blow came the other day.. the loan unit they gave me.. well it gave up the ghost and died ! How bizzar is that.

They said to expect a call back today.. and guess what no call.

It seems service is something very hard to come by these days.. I'll have to chase on Monday I guess.