1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Xboxes on one broadband connection

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by john87, Mar 18, 2003.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a router.

Is it possible?

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be possible, because you can have up to 4 players on one X-box whilst playing LIVE.

If it has the bandwidth for 4 people it should handle two x-boxes on one connection, but you won't get many guests on the two machines before it will go tits up.

Two people playing single player is bound to work though.

Also I've got bandwidth LEDs on my router, and whilst I'm on Live it doesn't show any strain at all, the missus still surfs the net and so do the neighbours who are on my network ;-)

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    We have had 6 people going through a 512K cable modem onto public net servers. This was with PCs and Counterstrike/UT. There was no effect to ping.

I doubt you will be able to host games that effectively, but for joining games it should be fine. If there are problems then that would signify that the games have awful netcode! There is no way any current game requires that much bandwidth, an online game relies on small packets transferred quickly.

4. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good... so does this mean I will be able to put my gamer tag on a memory card and put it from one Xbox to another, then use that gamer tag at the same time the other?

5. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm almost positive that you cannot put your gamertag on a card and move it around, because it's registered to your x-box only.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that would open up a whole can of worms for fraudulent use.

You can save MotoGP bikes and take them to a friends xbox, so i've heard.

P.S. MotoGP is only £20 at toys r us, and unless the new game is a lot different I wouldn't buy it.

Also, does any one know if the two games will be compatible on Live, so that people with MotoGP 2 can race against people that have the Live demo of MotoGP1?

6. Cloudnine

Cloudnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have
    2 Xbox's & 3 PS2's as well as 3PC's & 2 laptops at my house. my roommate and I have had 2 PC's, 2 Xbox's & 1 PS2 all online at one time...with a good router it can be done with maintaining voice on XBox Live.

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can move your gamertag between xboxes using a memory card.

No problems or restrictions, the beta testers got a memory card to allow just this, and some of the Live bundles from broadband providers include a memory card. See the link below.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=KT4058

No restriction on number of consoles either, just be sure you've a big enough link.

8. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I saw an movie on the Xbox live site and it explained that you could save your gamertag to a memory card and take it with you as long as your mates have a bb connection