1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two video outputs Projector and Plasma

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by goldy777, May 19, 2005.

1. goldy777

goldy777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to set up a home theatre. I am interested in having both a plasma but also a projector for the big screen experience when required.

I want to have the option to play my DVD movies, Playstation games and watch TV on either the Plasma or the projector. However if I feed these sources through an amp there is only one output video source ( in the amps I have seen). Also I want to send a HDMI output from the DVD to the projector and the amplifiers in my price range only have component output.

Can anyone please help with a solution to this problem.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello goldy777

Its perfectly feasible to install a simple Distribution amplifier to give you two or more Identical Outputs from One Input.

There are lots of Analogue and now Digital (DVI or HDMI) Distribution appliers you can employ.

A bit more info on the complete list of source kit (inc AV Receiver) and which Plasma and Projector your considering before anyone can give you any firm guidance on a solution that will work for you.

Best regards

Joe

3. goldy777

goldy777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply Joe. Firstly the equipment I intend to use :
    Projector Panasonic PT-AE700
    Plasma Phillips PF9966 42inch
    A/V Receiver Denon 2805
    DVD To be decided but it will have both HDMI and Component output

Other inputs :
    PS2 -component
    Cable TV - composite
    TV through VCR - Composite

I also have some questions on this solution, please forgive me as I am new to this area.

Firstly if I have a DVD player with both HDMI and compnent output can I have both the HDMI output(to the projector) and the component output(to the plamsa) connected at the same time ?

Secondly do I need to select which output the picture travels over at any one time or will be available on both so that whenever the DVD is playing it will simply be a case or either putting the TV on or the plasma on to see the movie ?

Thirdly can the D/As be fitted downstream of the video outputs from the amlifier and in this case is there a selector to pick which way the picture goes or once again like the situation above will the picture be available to both depedning on what you have on at the time ?

Fourthly if a projector has a number of different video inputs i.e. HDMI, Component and composite all attached at the same time is there some way you can tell it which input to use at any one time ?

Finally even though I know it is a video distribution AMPLIFIER is there any degradation in final picture quality ?

Once again thank you for your response and if you can suggest any changes to the above line up of equipment to improve matters I would appreciate it as nothing has been bought yet.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My Yamaha amp only has composite or s-video switching, so I tend to use s-video. I use the amp s-vid output for the plasma, and when I use the projector, I connect it to the video output on the VCR out on the amp. Since I never record from VCR or DVDR through the amp, the VCR out is never used.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK the 2805 will convert the composite signals to component so feed it all into amp and the to a DA to feed it to both displays dont worry about HDMI now but i sugget you run the cable for future use