Two types of SCART

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taimur, Feb 9, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see from reading around that there's RGB SCART and non-RGB SCART. Can anyone explain the difference to me.

In particular, I'd like to know more about SCART to component upgrading of video quality. I know JS technology (http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/) produce something that converts RGB to component, but it doesn't convert the other type of SCART. I'm not sure what the other type of SCART is, and I'd be grateful for a simple explanation! Also, I've always thought that garbage in equals garbage out - so how can a simple black box convert a signal from RGB to component and thus improve the video quality, when it has a relatively low quality of signal to work with in the first place?

Thanks
    Confused of Glasgow

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

SCART is an interface, it defines the pin designation, connectors etc.

Within the SCART definition, a number of different video and audio signals can travel down the 21 pins.

Stereo audio, quite obviously, but also:

Composite video (the yellow phono plug on some equipment)
    S-Video (a four pin DIN carrying Y/C signals)
    RGB (carrying Red, Green and Blue components of the video)

Both pieces of equipment must be compatible with the video signal used. Often you see SCART to S-Video cable, but if you use this on a Sky digibox (SCART) to an S-Video equipped TV (4 pin DIN) you will get a black and white picture because the digibox doesn't output S-Video, only Composite and RGB.

The difference in quality between RGB and Composite is astounding, with much greater clarity in the picture.

Now, notice I haven't yet spoken about Component...:)

Component, otherwise known as YUV, is similar to RGB in that it is carried by three separate component signals. Quality is on a par with RGB, but the Component interface is widely adopted for DVD players and plasma screens because it also supports Progressive Scan.

RGB to YUV is a colourspace conversion, the quality of the picture in a good conversion process should be identical. The JS Box (which I have) doesn't add quality, just maximises it. Your theory of garbage in garbage out holds true.

Hope that clarifies things, here endeth the lesson. :lesson:

Kind Regards,

James

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that!

Taimur