Two TVs : Intensed circular colour shifting

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cyclomedia, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cyclomedia

cyclomedia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has happened to two different makes/models of CRT TVs in my house now - and a third died completely. For no apparent reason both tvs suddenly developed circles around the center of the screen of intense color. I presumed it was a degaussing issue as all the colours were present (black and white looks pretty much ok) but wrong. However having searched around here it looks like something else might be up and a "normal" degaussing-required problem would not be so intense or uniform. For example this tv has always had two greeny "ears" on the screen which i've assumed is due to the internal speakers.

We turn the tv (etc) off at the wall socket every night and during the day if we're going out so this should mean the tv(s) will be degaussing every day. But on saturday we watched some TV in the morning, turn the tv off at it's own push button, went out, came back and it was in purple circle land.

anyway, we have hand reared toddlers, it's possible both tvs could have gotten boshed, could it be something that needs adusting?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    You need to see if you can borrow a proper degaussing tool from someone. The built in degausser is only designed to remove latent magnetism in the metallic parts of the CRT and chassis - it won't sort out externally caused problems.

Is it possible that the kids have been playing with magnets near the TV's?

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,980
    Yes, classic 'kid with magnet' syndrome. It does make pretty patterns though.

4. cyclomedia

cyclomedia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No magnets attached to children so that's not the cause, and it's not like there's just a purple blob in one quarter - the entire screen is giant centered concentric circles of color-shiftage. I've looked for degaussing coils on ebay and they're either more than the cost of a (ebay CRT) TV or in the USA.

Some searching around here mentions the possibility that it might have gotten bashed (by a toddler headbutting it probably) and the deflection coil might have moved... whilst i'm fine with a soldering iron the zillions of volts inside a CRT is not something i wish to get involved with :)